Green Line / Central Corridor construction thread (archive)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mulad

Re: Green Line (Central)

Postby mulad » December 12th, 2012, 4:55 pm

Some pre-cast concrete panels are being installed at the double-crossover by TPT (a block away from Union Depot station)

Image link

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » December 12th, 2012, 5:30 pm

MPR had a glowing article on CC progress today, saying the only major construction area was outside MPR.
It also mentioned a failed MPR lawsuit ...
They spoke of early days (almost like it was decades ago) where streets were ripped up for far too long, and how this was solved this year.

It speaks of only stringing wire and conducting test runs remaining for next year

mulad

Postby mulad » December 12th, 2012, 5:45 pm

Still a bit more complicated than that, according to today's news release:
Over the winter, the following work will continue:
  • Construction inside the operation and maintenance facility.
  • Electrical work at the 18 stations.
  • Installation of catenary poles that will hold the overhead wires along the alignment.
In 2013, crews will finish:
  • Installing miles and miles of overhead electrical wires.
  • Installing the traction power substations that will convert the alternating. current from Xcel Energy’s lines to the direct current used by light rail vehicles.
  • Installing signal bungalows holding the signaling and communication systems.
  • Completing the expanded Rail Control Center.
  • Building the operations and maintenance facility.
  • Installing station art.
  • Assembling, delivering and testing the light rail vehicles.
  • Punch list items.

mulad

Postby mulad » December 13th, 2012, 11:07 am

The line is being reported at 84% complete (and that's as of the end of October), well beyond the 75% that had been planned for the end of the year. I keep hoping that this will translate into an early opening, but it looks like signal and power installation will take until November 2013, and LRV deliveries will continue until April 2014 (though I would think that the line can open with a modestly undersized fleet -- Hiawatha didn't have all of its LRVs in the beginning either).

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 13th, 2012, 11:18 am

The line is being reported at 84% complete (and that's as of the end of October), well beyond the 75% that had been planned for the end of the year. I keep hoping that this will translate into an early opening, but it looks like signal and power installation will take until November 2013, and LRV deliveries will continue until April 2014 (though I would think that the line can open with a modestly undersized fleet -- Hiawatha didn't have all of its LRVs in the beginning either).
I can understand why they would totally cover their asses even if an early opening was possible... do you think they would open early if they could? That would be awesome!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 13th, 2012, 11:25 am

I have to imagine there are ways they could figure out how to streamline the install next summer to speed up the window, but of course the rule is to never commit to an earlier deadline part way through and give up contingency windows.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » December 13th, 2012, 11:40 am

They have been pretty guarded about announcing an opening date. I have kind of assumed that the target for opening will be around June of 2014, on a Satuday, but I don't really have anything concrete on that. It is encouraging that they seem to be well ahead of schedule, but there are certain things, such as LRV delivery, that can't really be sped up. mulad makes a good point that they could temporarily operate with an incomplete fleet. I have a hard time seeing the opening happening before April 2014.
My flickr photos.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » December 13th, 2012, 6:48 pm

Article today in strib was likewise glowing, except a very sad part about business disruption and parking loss :(

More fanciful wishing, as it's been explained it's not happening, that the line would open to the U stops, and use what cars it has

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » December 13th, 2012, 9:17 pm

A shot from this evening. Don't mind the little ghost orbs in the picture. Cheap camera, bad photographer. :oops:

Central Station and First National Bank Building by spectre 000, on Flickr

jbraski
Block E

Postby jbraski » December 13th, 2012, 10:39 pm

Great shot, spectre000! It's fun to see this project taking shape! :)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 13th, 2012, 10:41 pm

Yikes is that skyway just intended to be temporary?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 13th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Kinda cross posting this everywhere, but it's pretty important: Met Council dishes out $10.1MM in TOD grants
  • Green Line highlights include:
  • Central Exchange, St. Paul——$110,550 for soil remediation to support development of this mixed-use project between the Victoria and Dale stations along the METRO Green Line (Central Corridor LRT). The project will replace vacant and blighted lots with public space and retail storefronts, as well as affordable housing in close proximity to transit.
  • City Limits, St. Paul——$1,944,774 for land acquisition, site preparation, stormwater management and other site improvements to support development of this apartment complex near the Westgate Green Line Station, which will include affordable units, a tot lot and amenities to enhance the station area.
  • Old Home Plaza, St. Paul——$1,558,361 for land acquisition and demolition at the Old Home Dairy site at 370 University Avenue, which will be transformed into a mixed-use, transit-oriented development with housing and commercial, retail and community uses in close proximity to transit. The development will preserve historic buildings and build new to develop on an entire city block across from the Western Station on the Green Line, anchored by a central plaza that will provide social and recreational opportunities for residents.
  • Prior Crossing, St. Paul——$927,015 to help with acquisition and demolition and abatement/remediation costs to support a housing development with supportive services for young adults experiencing homelessness. The project, located near the Fairview Station on the Green Line, will provide connections to transit and jobs, and promote educational and vocational goals to achieve independence.
  • Rayette Lofts, St. Paul——$348,101 for lead abatement to support the reuse and rehabilitation of an historic building for rental housing and retail in close proximity to the Union Station on the Green Line. The project is a mixed-use, high-density development that will add to [s]the vibrancy of[/s]Lowertown.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 14th, 2012, 1:35 pm

Yikes is that skyway just intended to be temporary?
Depends what you mean by temporary. It's permanent until someone comes along and develops that parcel. :)

It is "visually jarring," shall we say?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 14th, 2012, 1:59 pm

1. Agreed, how much did that skyway cost? That's the one they re-installed and had an effing ribbon cutting for, correct? Is this skyway such an important link that St. Paul spent public $ to build a "temporary" one, albeit long-term temporary?

2. The LRT start date will almost certainly have to coincide with a quasi-quarterly scheduling "pick" due to the vast number of bus service changes happening simultaneously. This typically happens in May, and then not again until September (wonky dates due to U of M calendar). I've gotta believe they would like to get this running in late May, or early June at the latest, to work out any kinks before the All-Star Game in mid-July.

The first couple weeks are also likely to produce higher ridership due to the "newness factor" and many people riding the train just to ride it. It may seem weird because we've had LRT in the Twin Cities for 8 years now, but believe me, this is a brand new experience to most people in the area. Why would you have ever ridden Hiawatha if you live in St. Paul or the E/NE metro?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 14th, 2012, 4:39 pm

1. Agreed, how much did that skyway cost? That's the one they re-installed and had an effing ribbon cutting for, correct?
Yep. The ribbon cutting was a bit excessive.
Is this skyway such an important link that St. Paul spent public $ to build a "temporary" one, albeit long-term temporary?
Actually, it is. I work downtown St. Paul and a lot of people use that skyway. It connects to the Pioneer Press and the St. Paul Athletic Club buildings. Lifetime fitness is in there, which a lot of people use for workouts over the lunch break.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » December 14th, 2012, 5:46 pm

The lifetime closed about two years ago but you overall point is valid. That bit of skyway is the link between the office core and the saint Paul hotel, library, river center and excel.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » December 14th, 2012, 11:11 pm

The lifetime closed about two years ago but you overall point is valid. That bit of skyway is the link between the office core and the saint Paul hotel, library, river center and excel.
In case anyone missed it, the building has been undergoing renovation for some time. It's being rebranded as the new St. Paul Athletic Club, http://www.thespac.com/.

It was nearly demolished in the mid 90's. Hard to believe.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » December 18th, 2012, 11:58 pm

[BBvideo 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8in52ZuUA0o[/BBvideo]

This is a video of Thermite Welding on METRO Green Line (Central Corridor)by Railworks. This is also my 100th You Tube upload.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

mulad

Postby mulad » December 19th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Very cool! Thanks for taking the time to capture that and put the video together.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 19th, 2012, 9:53 pm

This raises a question for me -- once these long lengths of rail are welded together, how is thermal expansion handled? I mean during seasonal temperature shifts, not during the actual welding. By my crude math, a 200' length of rail should be expected to expand 2.5" between MN temperature extremes.