Green Line / Central Corridor construction thread (archive)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Re: Green Line (Central Corridor LRT)

Postby Suburban Outcast » April 27th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Basically something more like these types of crosswalks? (I did a quick crappy visualization via MSPaint

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 27th, 2014, 6:02 pm

Isn't it the case pretty much that the zig goes towards the direction of the station? I can see why they would have chosen that, though I'd have rather they chose to center the crossing instead.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 28th, 2014, 7:03 am

Looks like the Green Line is getting hourly service all night long. Cool!

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1 ... 482&type=1
I was just looking at the Central Corridor Bus Service Plan again, and wondering what this means for the Route 16.
During the Owl hours, 1:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m., service will be extended from Oak St./Washington Ave. to downtown Minneapolis.
Owl frequency: once/hour
It sounds to me like the Route 16 won't need to be extended to downtown Minneapolis. Whether it still runs during owl hours remains to be seen.

With the Route 16 being somewhat different from the old one, both in that it will serve Marion Ave instead of Rice St, and terminate at Stadium Village, I really think they should give the route a new number. I also think giving the bus route a new number will help some reluctant long time bus riders move to the train. For some, especially those with mental disabilities, I'd imagine old habits will be hard to break and some will insist on riding the bus. Obviously there will be a small number of people who cannot make the walk to a train station and physically need the bus, but with train stops every 1/2 mile, I think the ridership on the bus is going to be very low.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 28th, 2014, 7:54 am

From an overall connectivity standpoint, I wonder if Route 2 could be modified and interlined with the future Route 16. Not sure how many folks use Route 2 between Dinkytown and Old St. Anthony (which would need to go) but otherwise Route 2/16 could go, from east to west:
St. Paul > University Ave > Stadium Village > Dinkytown > 10th Ave Bridge > Riverside > Franklin > Hennepin. I'd also propose an extension from Franklin/Hennepin to the Uptown Transit Center.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 28th, 2014, 8:06 am

Not sure how many folks use Route 2 between Dinkytown and Old St. Anthony
Those buses are consistently standing-room-only in the mornings and afternoons, as students are heading to and from the University from various rentals in Marcy-Holmes. Nixing the 2 there would be a disaster.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » April 28th, 2014, 8:32 am

I think the ridership on the bus is going to be very low.
Even with a longer walk to the station, I would think that greater frequency, faster ride, seating/shelter at the station, and far easier boarding would favor the train for all but the most disabled -- who are probably better served by dial-a-ride anyway. I wonder if the 16 will straggle on for a few years and get cut altogether at some point.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 28th, 2014, 12:11 pm

From an overall connectivity standpoint, I wonder if Route 2 could be modified and interlined with the future Route 16. Not sure how many folks use Route 2 between Dinkytown and Old St. Anthony (which would need to go) but otherwise Route 2/16 could go, from east to west:
St. Paul > University Ave > Stadium Village > Dinkytown > 10th Ave Bridge > Riverside > Franklin > Hennepin. I'd also propose an extension from Franklin/Hennepin to the Uptown Transit Center.
The longer you make a bus route, the more likely it is to be severely delayed. That's what I worry about.

The 2 should connect to the 21st St. station.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » April 28th, 2014, 12:48 pm

Pedestal card readers are now installed at the East Bank Station, but the actual TVMs remain wrapped up and uninstalled for the time being.

mulad

Postby mulad » April 28th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Here's a photo of one at SPUD. The footprint seems a little bit shallower front-to-back than the older ones on Blue Line and Northstar platforms.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 28th, 2014, 9:15 pm

Poster finalists are up and you can vote for your favorite.

http://metrotransit.wufoo.com/forms/met ... r-contest/

I'm not revealing my vote yet so as not to influence anyone, but I am a bit underwhelmed. It seems like all of the artists took the requirements too literally.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 28th, 2014, 9:23 pm

Those were... underwhelming.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 28th, 2014, 9:26 pm

I hope either Metro Transit has some totally different official poster for the opening or that someone can give some feedback to these designs before they pick one. The official poster should *not* be chosen by public vote since almost none of the public understands visual design, including me.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 28th, 2014, 9:30 pm

Wha? They're great.

It's all about, you know,

c o n -

n e c -

t i o -

n s
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 28th, 2014, 9:38 pm

Hoping they stick with the image they used to advertise the contest since the finalists were... yeah, underwhelming works.

That first one is pretty apocalyptic, no?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 28th, 2014, 9:40 pm

You'll have to be more specific. Reloading the page just now, the images were in a new random order.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 28th, 2014, 9:40 pm

Wha? They're great.

It's all about, you know,

c o n -

n e c -

t i o -

n s
I'll be honest, that's the one I voted for, because I like the graphics, and I like the Metro Green Line (but what are those colors? Why Red? Why yellow? At least red, blue, green I could understand for the METRO brand).

The VERY green poster that just says Metro Green Line is waay to green, it looks like the train is going through the woods, and they used the old Bombadier trains with the old branding, something that will never show up on the Green Line.

The "Connecting Lives Bridging Communites" poster looks like a student's Photoshop project. And they made some awful train composite of a new train with the new branding but with the Blue Line placard, pulling an old style train in the old livery.

The Twin Cities Green Line Celebration poster looks good, but it just looks like something MetroTransit would make. Again the train is a blue line train (at least they blocked off the words saying the destination, but it's definitely a blue square), but they didn't put all the stations below that. Are those only the stations with events? Looking at that poster I'd think that was all the stations on the line, but that's not the case. Are those even stations, or just neighborhoods? What am I looking at?

The Green Limousine is just weird because it shows a train with livery that doesn't exist, as well as introducing a slogan about the Green Line that's not an official slogan, so this poster just introduces a brand new branding effort for the Green Line.

This makes me miss the Art Deco Hiawatha Line poster, I wish I'd been able to snag one (if anybody knows where I can find one please let me know!)

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 28th, 2014, 9:57 pm

I'll be honest, that's the one I voted for, because I like the graphics, and I like the Metro Green Line (but what are those colors? Why Red? Why yellow? At least red, blue, green I could understand for the METRO brand).
Unfortunately, "Con-nec-tio-n s" just ruins what had the potential to be a pretty good poster.
The VERY green poster that just says Metro Green Line is waay to green, it looks like the train is going through the woods, and they used the old Bombadier trains with the old branding, something that will never show up on the Green Line.
The first thought that went through my mind was, "Jurassic Park Monster."
The "Connecting Lives Bridging Communites" poster looks like a student's Photoshop project. And they made some awful train composite of a new train with the new branding but with the Blue Line placard, pulling an old style train in the old livery.
But...20 MPH!
The Twin Cities Green Line Celebration poster looks good, but it just looks like something MetroTransit would make. Again the train is a blue line train (at least they blocked off the words saying the destination, but it's definitely a blue square), but they didn't put all the stations below that. Are those only the stations with events? Looking at that poster I'd think that was all the stations on the line, but that's not the case. Are those even stations, or just neighborhoods? What am I looking at?
I think those are the stations with celebrations. The, er, fireworks (?) composed of LRVs are weird.
The Green Limousine is just weird because it shows a train with livery that doesn't exist, as well as introducing a slogan about the Green Line that's not an official slogan, so this poster just introduces a brand new branding effort for the Green Line.
And it's a Bombardier.
This makes me miss the Art Deco Hiawatha Line poster, I wish I'd been able to snag one (if anybody knows where I can find one please let me know!)
I think I must have got one of the last ones because it's missing the station names. I also got the landscape poster which seems to be more rare because I haven't seen a lot of them around.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 28th, 2014, 10:03 pm

Yeah, forgot to add that the broken up connections is just too tiny and just makes no sense. It'd be better without the word connections, but then it wouldn't be hitting you over the head with the theme.

Are you sure the Limousine is a Bombardier? I'm looking and now I can't even tell.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 28th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Are you sure the Limousine is a Bombardier? I'm looking and now I can't even tell.
The mirrors give it away. At least I *think* those are mirrors. It's a bit blotchy in that area, perhaps on purpose.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 28th, 2014, 10:17 pm

Yeah, maaaaybe those are mirrors?