Green Line / Central Corridor construction thread (archive)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Green Line (Central)

Postby FISHMANPET » July 24th, 2013, 1:28 pm

there will be testing of cars under their own power in the "U" area beginning tomorrow night. (per an mpr twitter note i saw today)
A little more on this, I just got an email from the U:
With significant construction complete, testing will now begin on the vehicles, power lines and systems associated with Central Corridor Light Rail Line. Even through passenger service is still months away, systems testing means that light rail vehicles will be moving through campus at different times during the day and night. Pedestrians, bicyclists and drivers need to be extra-cautious as this new element is added to our already crowded campus transportation mix.

Power Source Testing tomorrow
On Thursday morning, July 25, a railcar mover will pull a light-rail vehicle through campus at walking speed. The vehicles will move from the West Bank Station to the Stadium Village station, and then return to the West Bank. The test should be complete by early afternoon.

Then beginning at 10:00 p.m. Thursday and continuing until 3:00 a.m. Friday morning, the overhead wires will be electrified and a light rail vehicle will travel through campus under its own power. The light rail vehicle will travel between the West Bank and Stadium Village stations a number of different times at varying speeds – up to the regular operational speed.

Both vehicle and pedestrian traffic will be affected by the overnight testing. For vehicles, Washington Avenue will be closed from Walnut Street to Huron Boulevard and the Washington Avenue crossings at Harvard, Walnut and Ontario Streets will also be closed. For pedestrians, the crossings at Church and Union Streets, as well as the western pedestrian bridge in front of Coffman will be closed. Central Corridor staff will be on hand to assist drivers and pedestrians and answer questions.

Electromagnetic Interference and Vibration Testing
On Monday, August 5 testing will begin to assess the level of electromagnetic interference and vibration generated by light rail vehicles moving through campus. The testing will take place between 1:00 and 5:00 a.m. and will last well into September. During the testing light rail vehicles will travel through campus many times during the overnight hours and the movement of vehicles, elevators and similar equipment will be restricted within 200 feet of the light rail line. More details on the EMI and vibration testing will be available soon.

Green Line Safety Videos
With the start of systems testing on campus, Metro Transit has introduced a Green Line Quiz Bowl safety video and public service announcements aimed at student audiences. The video and PSAs are the latest components of the project’s safety campaign. Visit the Green Line safety webpage for complete safety information.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 24th, 2013, 3:30 pm

this is parochialism at it's finest.
http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/blog/sheld ... te-project
Sheldon is a well-known complainer. Best to just ignore him.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 24th, 2013, 3:45 pm

I too would have preferred a line that zig zagged north and south around University Ave to hit all those traffic generators.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 24th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Though it's too late for the current Green Line, the Met Council has seen the light, and the next phase of the line will be routed down a freight corridor, instead of along existing bus lines. Also, Google Maps shows about a fifth of a mile from the Habitat Building to Fairview station, but that's basically half a mile, right?
there will be testing of cars under their own power in the "U" area beginning tomorrow night. (per an mpr twitter note i saw today)
So, since all the essential construction on the transit mall is obviously complete, does this mean the buses will come back to Washington when the semester starts? Please?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 24th, 2013, 6:20 pm

Only if they can come back (mostly) permanently. Metro Transit doesn't want to dick around with a bunch of on & off detours for additional testing, etc. The buses will return to Washington when they can return for good.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » July 24th, 2013, 7:37 pm

I will have the honor of being one of the first operators to operate on the Green Line tomorrow night.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » July 24th, 2013, 9:01 pm

I will have the honor of being one of the first operators to operate on the Green Line tomorrow night.
Bravo! Bully for you!

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » July 24th, 2013, 10:07 pm

Bravo! Bully for you!
X2.

You need like, like a special status or something, oh great one!

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » July 24th, 2013, 11:28 pm

Bravo! Bully for you!
Lucky you!
My usual hangout spot---Starbuck's at the Commons Hotel---is right next to the future East Bank stop, and opens till 11pm, so I am hoping to see a LRV tomorrow. I should bring my camera!
Jonathan Ahn, AICP | [email protected]
Personal thoughts and personal opinion only. May include incomplete information.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » July 25th, 2013, 6:34 am

As of 7:00 am train 104, the old car painted in the new METRO scheme, and the rail pulling truck are parked on the auxiliary track north of the main rails between 11th Avenue and the Green Line bridge over 35W. There had to be fifteen men working in and around the rail car.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 25th, 2013, 7:06 am

cool. the transit mall looks fantastic, btw. washington ave has been transformed. stadium village is looking very urbane with the mall and the new residential developments. all the new plantings in that island of the intersection in front of the old arbys. there has been so much change to the stadium village area.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » July 25th, 2013, 9:01 am

I saw the LRT vehicle get pulled out of the East Bank Station into the Commons Hotel block, where it was parked. Lots of onlookers, even someone with a nice tripod video camera setup (someone on here?). It was being pulled on the north rails, so I expect that after it gets out to the Stadium Village Station it will get pulled back to the West Bank to the switch, and then pulled there and back again on the south rails. It looked like they had some sort of camera setup on the roof of the LRT vehicle pointed at the power lines, I'm guessing to make sure that power setup (I'm not sure of the technical term) was in constant contact with the overhead lines.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » July 25th, 2013, 9:10 am

What's the best spot to have a beer and watch the run tonite? Should I suck it up, get an Oriental Chicken salad and enjoy the commanding view from the Applebee's patio? Sit with a 40 in front of ValU Liquor? Stub and Herbs barely has a view right?
"Who rescued whom!"

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 25th, 2013, 9:14 am

Stub & Herbs has a patio out back, but I don't know how often it actually gets used. Sadly Applebee's might be your best bet.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 25th, 2013, 9:27 am

I see a few people every night on the Stub & Herb's patio, but it's set back behind the building enough that the view won't be great. With Sally's closed, Applebee's and/or Starbucks really is your best bet for outdoor seating. A window seat at Campus Pizza might not be too bad, though, if you'll consider inside options.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 25th, 2013, 9:32 am

You should be just fine on the Stub and Herb's patio. Also, their beer selection is definitely the best in the area.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 25th, 2013, 9:38 am

Lots of onlookers, even someone with a nice tripod video camera setup (someone on here?).
I would not be surprised in the least if it was Mr. Sheldon Gitis. He has a habit of showing up and recording video without permission. Obviously this is a public place but he's come to events organized by various groups and shot video, only to use misleading editing to present a story that is the exact opposite of what happened.

He's had a bee in his bonnet about this project for over a decade.

If it's him I fully expect a video about how the Green Line LRT broke down and had to be towed.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » July 25th, 2013, 9:47 am

To each their own- and who knows, perhaps that's what really happened;-)

Or would could just get a box of cheap wine, then smash the bottles on tracks when it's done.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » July 25th, 2013, 10:09 am

Or would could just get a box of cheap wine, then smash the bottles on tracks when it's done.
Both the grammar and content of this sentence are leaving me mystified.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 25th, 2013, 10:25 am

will be so cool seeing trains crossing the wash ave bridge. like a real city with a real, fixed transit system.

when the hiawatha line was in testing i would go out of my way to drive that road just to watch the trains. yea..geek here to.