Green Line / Central Corridor construction thread (archive)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Green Line (Central Corridor LRT)

Postby mattaudio » December 18th, 2013, 3:23 pm

Y'all need to learn how to use the "block user" function. It makes UrbanMSP much more bearable.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 18th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Hiawatha is unquestionably a success for riders, tho. The VA built a massive ramp- I'd guess mostly- but at least in part for commuters using their lot as a Park n Ride.
Help me understand this comment, please?
To the best of my knowledge, the new ramp is being built on a section of the lot that is gated and for employees only. There are signs at every entrance stating that unauthorized cars will be towed. I don't think the new ramp has anything to do with commuters using their lot as a Park & Ride. Have you ever tried accessing the VA lots during the 7-9am and 4-6pm time frame? It's a mess - and not something that I think some driver from Eagan would choose - given the fact that there are designated Park & Ride lots at the next stop south of the VA.

Pg. 2 of this PDF: http://www.minneapolis.va.gov/docs/News ... EC2012.pdf has more information about the ramp (including renderings).

...With the start of parking ramp construction in spring 2013, an estimated 233 surface spaces located in front of
the Minneapolis VA medical center must be vacated for the “construction zone.” For 18 months, heavy
construction equipment and materials will be on site. The ramp, costing nearly $10 million, will consist of 520
spaces with a net increase of 293 spots as a result of displacement of surface parking. The facility will have
four levels (including ground) with future vertical expansion possible for two more levels. A committee
headed by Chief Engineer Steve Challeen with membership of the unions, police and human resources has
been evaluating alternative parking options. That plan will soon be announced. In the meantime, staff
members are strongly encouraged to use alternative transportation – light rail, buses, car pools, van pools,
biking (in good weather). The ramp will be for patients only during regular hours.
Last edited by HiawathaGuy on December 18th, 2013, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 18th, 2013, 3:40 pm

Actually the VA was probably able to hold off on building their ramp (for their own guests/employees as noted above) due to the Hiawatha Line... Without that, it would have likely been constructed earlier as the facility grew.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 18th, 2013, 6:53 pm

The bar near Whipple went under and is empty. For sale signs on Amble's building.
And places like The Cardinal and Caps reported significant uptick in business.
Development around Franklin stop??
Dunno.
Development around Lake Street stop??
Um...a lot? Including a complete overhaul of Hi-Lake.
Development around Cedar-Riverside stop??
There are plans, if you explore other threads. Still, Cedar-Riverside is already quite dense. The stations wasn't meant to spur development, it was meant to serve the people already there.

All that said, most people who worked on Hiawatha will admit they made a mistake by not taking development into account during design. They weren't experienced with LRT and as usual, Minnesotans are quite insular and unwilling to learn from others. But at least they admit they made mistakes. Certainly the Franklin area would look much different if it were designed today.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 18th, 2013, 6:56 pm

I don't agree with UptownSport that any businesses closed due to construction means we should not have built the line.
Where did UptownSport say, or imply this????
Oh come on. Your entire line of arument leads to this conclusion.

With, for example, statements like this:
University seems 'dead', and the hopes are the killer, itself, will bring new life to replace what was lost- We'll see.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » December 19th, 2013, 10:48 am

You didn't understand the comment, but then wrote three paragraphs in response?
Hiawatha is unquestionably a success for riders, tho. The VA built a massive ramp- I'd guess mostly- but at least in part for commuters using their lot as a Park n Ride.
Help me understand this comment, please?
To the best of my knowledge, the new ramp is being built on a section of the lot that is gated and for employees only. There are signs at every entrance stating that unauthorized cars will be towed. I don't think the new ramp has anything to do with commuters using their lot as a Park & Ride. Have you ever tried accessing the VA lots during the 7-9am and 4-6pm time frame? It's a mess - and not something that I think some driver from Eagan would choose - given the fact that there are designated Park & Ride lots at the next stop south of the VA.

Pg. 2 of this PDF: http://www.minneapolis.va.gov/docs/News ... EC2012.pdf has more information about the ramp (including renderings).

...With the start of parking ramp construction in spring 2013, an estimated 233 surface spaces located in front of
the Minneapolis VA medical center must be vacated for the “construction zone.” For 18 months, heavy
construction equipment and materials will be on site. The ramp, costing nearly $10 million, will consist of 520
spaces with a net increase of 293 spots as a result of displacement of surface parking. The facility will have
four levels (including ground) with future vertical expansion possible for two more levels. A committee
headed by Chief Engineer Steve Challeen with membership of the unions, police and human resources has
been evaluating alternative parking options. That plan will soon be announced. In the meantime, staff
members are strongly encouraged to use alternative transportation – light rail, buses, car pools, van pools,
biking (in good weather). The ramp will be for patients only during regular hours.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » December 19th, 2013, 10:57 am

Even now, with the line unopened, I think that University feels like a much more welcoming place to be. The streetscape is fantastic and much more enjoyable as a pedestrian, and while I haven't driven through during peak times, traffic has been, in my limted antecedal experience, no worse than it was pre-LRT. I think that the corridor is already a better place to visit and do business than it was before, and that will only increase significantly once the line opens.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » December 19th, 2013, 11:23 am

I would love to see massive rapid transit throughout the cities.
The problem, highlighted here, is one must be absolutely, blindly for any mass transit or is put in an anti-transit category.
Critiquing a specific issue with a transit project? That criticism simplistically puts the questioner into the latter category, and subject to attack.
I don't agree with UptownSport that any businesses closed due to construction means we should not have built the line.
Where did UptownSport say, or imply this????
Oh come on. Your entire line of arument leads to this conclusion.

With, for example, statements like this:
University seems 'dead', and the hopes are the killer, itself, will bring new life to replace what was lost- We'll see.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 19th, 2013, 11:35 am

What is your actual position? Do you actually have one? You seem to be fore pie in the sky ideas that are in no way practical, and completely not understanding that everything in the world involves trade offs.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » December 20th, 2013, 2:26 pm

I'm still trying to figure out how all of this conversation regarding the Hiawatha line wound up in the Central Corridor thread...

I know someone recently posted that the project is 98% done now. Do we know yet what the firm date is for this line to become operational?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 20th, 2013, 2:36 pm

The latest I've heard is by the All-Star Game, so, before July 15th. I'm thinking, based on nothing, that they'll maybe aim for the service changes that come with the end of spring semester, which would be late May.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » December 20th, 2013, 2:44 pm

I have no firm date but by guess is most likely June. Just because the construction is almost done. There is there is still a lot of testing to be done.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » December 20th, 2013, 2:49 pm

Given that the "grand opening" for the Interchange is in May, I would hope that there's coordination going on, and that the Green Line and the Interchange would debut together - after all, the Interchange is wholly unnecessary with just one line.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » December 20th, 2013, 3:12 pm

I'm gonna go ahead and say the May bus route changes (right after the U gets out) is when the Green Line will open.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 20th, 2013, 3:19 pm

I've been saying all along that it would be no sooner than the May operator's pick. There will be at least a weekend (or full week) of free rides on the LRT before revenue service begins. I could see the free period occuring while classes/finals are going on, but the bus routes will not be changed until after finals week.

Getting it running by the All-Star Game seems to be the contingency date. That way getting it running in May or June they can tout "ahead of schedule"...hopefully "under budget" as well, but I won't hold my breath.

sad panda
Metrodome

Postby sad panda » December 20th, 2013, 3:36 pm

Due to the CTIB grant funding, I'd be surprised if it opens before Monday, May 26, 2014.
The METRO Green Line (Central Corridor) grant shall be subject to the following conditions:
1. The Council shall provide the Board at least 60-days prior notice of the start date for Green Line LRT operations.
2. The base grant award will be disbursed quarterly in accordance with the following schedule:
1st Quarter February 15: $ 222,945
2nd Quarter May 15: $ 222,945
3rd Quarter August 15: $2,871,483
4th Quarter November 15: $2,871,483

3. Grant funds for a potential early start will be made available in the amount of $268,363 per week of revenue
service prior to July 1, 2014, for a maximum supplementary grant amount of $1,341,815 for up to five weeks of
early revenue service. The supplementary disbursement request shall be submitted by July 15.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » December 27th, 2013, 10:27 am

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2013/12/25/lrt-almost-done

Opening date will be announced January 22.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 27th, 2013, 11:53 am

So. They announced the announcement?

:/

mulad

Postby mulad » December 27th, 2013, 12:05 pm

I had noted in the Target Field Station / The Interchange thread that the new platforms are expected to open on May 17th, though that wasn't a truly solid date as far as I could tell. It'd probably make the most sense to open them both at the same time if they'll be close together anyway, though it's not a dealbreaker if there's a gap between them.

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » December 27th, 2013, 11:39 pm

So. They announced the announcement?

:/
Reminds me of a comedian once saying "how do you pre-board a plane? You either get on the fucking plane or you don't. You don't get on, then get off, and get back on again."