Green Line / Central Corridor construction thread (archive)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Silophant

Re: Green Line (Central)

Postby Silophant » July 11th, 2013, 11:16 am

They're beginning to string caternary from the East Bank Station to the bridge on that side. I'll cut through downtown to the bridge on my way home today and check it out.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Postby commissioner » July 11th, 2013, 2:08 pm

They only have catenary strung on the south side of the bridge as of tuesday.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » July 11th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Once everything is in place construction-wise, how long should testing take before the line is ready to go?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 11th, 2013, 4:04 pm

As of today, there's a single line strung on pulleys from West Bank Station to East Bank Station, over both tracks.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » July 11th, 2013, 9:01 pm

Thanks- I remember a post about caternary (aka 'overhead lines') but can't find it.
Still sounds like my suspicions could be correct; they're 'jammin' on this segment to open it early!!!

And I saw more large, plastic covered objects stenciled 'DO NOT HUMP' at the Franklin Train Barn

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 12th, 2013, 9:32 pm

I disagree.
Disagree that it was supposed to be a 'grand avenue' or that a wall(s) down middle of of the road is unattractive or both?
In the area where I live, near the Westgate station, University had turned from a busy, ugly road into something much more manageable. The other direction of traffic is basically a separate road. So I think the separation was a huge improvement.

Of course there would have been some separation anyway due to train tracks running down the middle of the road, but not as much.

As an aside, some of the medians surrounding the tracks are very nicely done.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 13th, 2013, 3:18 pm

If what I heard from one of the supervisors of the LRT is correct, there will be some summer testing of trains into the U of M area, how far I don't know. But they are required to work to make sure that there are no electrical or magnetic fields isssues by one of the research buildings next to the tracks. They have to run a number of test trains for they can measure for this.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 13th, 2013, 6:47 pm

This explains why it looks like most of the catenary and overhead wire is done from the Blue Line junction to at least just across the bridge.

I drove University from Huron all the way east on Friday and most of the wiring looks nearly complete to just west of Snelling. Not much in place east of Snelling. Some of it looked recently strung and not completely in place but quite a lot more looked finished than I expected.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » July 16th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

chimpls
Block E

Postby chimpls » July 16th, 2013, 5:50 pm

Question: In this short video (above) the rep. from the Met Council quoted fares at 2.25 for non-peak and 2.50 for peak? was that just a verbal error or will fares be increasing when the new line comes into service?

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » July 16th, 2013, 6:21 pm

Given that she said, "I think that's right" after she quoted the prices, I think she just misspoke. Given how fare increases are decided, it's not possible for her to *know* anything that we don't; while it's possible that they've been *considering* such an increase, the specific amounts wouldn't be mentioned in this context. Also, there's currently a 50¢ difference between peak and off-peak, and I can't imagine they would reduce that difference even as they raise prices.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » July 18th, 2013, 11:00 am

took a walk to WAB bridge last night, plenty of shiny rail equipment that evidently is used to install overhead lines.
electrical cables are up, station is lit up like Christmas-

Found out previous line ("Interurban") had dedicated lanes down University Center. I don't know if it was as obtrusive as some areas on central.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » July 18th, 2013, 7:59 pm

http://finance-commerce.com/transit/201 ... continues/

93% complete. Intermittent road closures ahead for downtown St. Paul and Wash Ave trench
And now, 94%

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 23rd, 2013, 12:47 pm

Anyone know how much of the total project budget was spent on reconstruction of University Ave or downtown St. Paul streets unrelated to actually providing LRT service?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 23rd, 2013, 1:04 pm

Anyone know how much of the total project budget was spent on reconstruction of University Ave or downtown St. Paul streets unrelated to actually providing LRT service?
Well, it's not really unrelated, because you couldn't have just plopped down the LRT in the middle of the existing University Avenue and called it a day. It wasn't a greenfield site. Now, was the existing University Avenue tired and needing some love prior to LRT? Yes, certainly. But the LRT really did require a complete reconstruction that wouldn't have been required, but for the LRT.

mulad

Postby mulad » July 23rd, 2013, 1:22 pm

Cripes! You've got to be kidding me!

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 23rd, 2013, 1:23 pm

Might be helpful to compare a per-mile cost of completely re-grading a similar ROW street and sidewalk, things that would have been done for most of the corridor within the next 5 years or so anyway. Many pedestrian amenities specific to getting people to the middle of the street to board, etc etc shouldn't be included (and wouldn't in a normal project). Pull out a % of the example cost since LRT was placed in the center and that would give a decent estimate. A "complete street" redo is estimated at ~$5M per mile for an 80' ROW with sidewalks and bike lanes completely re-done.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » July 23rd, 2013, 1:47 pm

Considering that sections of University / Washington clearly had not been rebuilt in 60+ years (as proven by the fact that friggin' streetcar rails were pulled up in parts), I don't think it's unfair to say that at least some sizable fraction of the budget covered deferred maintenance that should have been covered by other funding sources. I think the legitimate question to ask is "How much would it have cost to rebuild the University Ave streetscape to LRT-ready specs (i.e., with an empty, LRT-sized median)?" and compare that to the full CCLRT cost.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 24th, 2013, 12:45 pm

there will be testing of cars under their own power in the "U" area beginning tomorrow night. (per an mpr twitter note i saw today)

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 24th, 2013, 1:20 pm

this is parochialism at it's finest.
http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/blog/sheld ... te-project