Driver testing

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Driver testing

Postby exiled_antipodean » August 4th, 2016, 10:20 am

The recent discussions about pedestrian safety have made me think about this. When I did my driver road test in MN I had been driving for 10 years (on the other side of the road, admittedly) so I'm not sure what a truly new driver gets here. What I experienced for my MN road test was a 10 minute circuit at the testing station that took me through every intersection design I'd ever meet, but I never got out of 3rd gear, and certainly never got onto the freeway or saw any pedestrians at the crossings they had.

Is this actually how new drivers in Minnesota are tested. Do road tests take you onto freeways or through an urban environment with real people at real pedestrian crossings?

Curious to hear what the story is.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Driver testing

Postby mattaudio » August 4th, 2016, 10:32 am

I heard some neighbor kids at NNO mention how if they get a license at 16 they need to take behind-the-wheel and a road test, whereas if they waited until 18 they did not need behind-the-wheel and they only would take a written test. Can anyone confirm?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 4th, 2016, 10:34 am

You don't need the behind the wheel training if you're older than 18, but I doubt that you can avoid the driving test.

jebr
Nicollet Mall

Postby jebr » August 4th, 2016, 10:45 am

When I got my license a few years back, we didn't have a closed course, but we simply drove around the neighborhood and did different maneuvers as needed to test our skill. I never got above about 30 MPH or so.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 4th, 2016, 10:52 am

My driving test involved no time on the highway. Instead, it was winding around on the arterials and neighborhood streets near the DMV in Duluth.

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » August 4th, 2016, 11:01 am

I heard some neighbor kids at NNO mention how if they get a license at 16 they need to take behind-the-wheel and a road test, whereas if they waited until 18 they did not need behind-the-wheel and they only would take a written test. Can anyone confirm?
My wife is going through this, having just moved here from another country.
Over 18 once you pass the written test you have a 90 day waiting period with your "permit," then you are allowed to take the DMV driving test.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 4th, 2016, 11:10 am

We're talking a long time ago now (1992 I suppose), but I can't recall whether I ever got on the freeway during my behind the wheel training. There was definitely some time on a highway - must have been 96 or 36 - but I can't recall any interstate time.

The actual road test was at Ramsey County's (or is it MNDOT's?) off-road testing facility off of County Road I.

To answer the question: whether the testing involves any actual urban environment depends on the jurisdiction. Some places, yes, some places, no. I'd be surprised if freeway driving is ever part of the test, but it certainly isn't where the test is on a closed course.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » August 4th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Thanks all, this is starting to cohere as a picture of not very rigorous road testing.

The Truman Show style off-road facility is an abomination for testing people's driving skills. It's like giving people their pilot's license based on simulator training only.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » August 4th, 2016, 12:50 pm

I also find it ridiculous that we don't have any sort of regular re-testing. You take drivers ed at 15 and you're good for life? What?