D Line - Fremont/Emerson/Chicago Rapid Bus

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Re: D Line - Fremont/Emerson/Chicago Rapid Bus

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 3rd, 2018, 12:54 pm

During congested hours, signal preemption only helps if the bus is the next in line to cross the intersection when it would have otherwise turned red. And even then, if the lanes are stopped on the other side of the street, a bus shouldn't use the preemption to enter the intersection and block the box (though they sometimes do). The bus bulbs will be a much bigger factor IMO; I routinely see SOVs stuck in traffic and obstinately refuse to let buses back in the thru-lane because they might miss the next green light. I think it's probably true that transit advocates in MSP call for bus lanes more than is generally warranted, but 7th St is not one of those places.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 3rd, 2018, 3:03 pm

Skip queues work well with signal preemption in places where there's a left or right turn lane. The bus can enter the turn lane and then use it to proceed straight on a special signal.

Qhaberl
Rice Park

Postby Qhaberl » January 4th, 2018, 2:42 pm

Are there left or right turn areas and seventh and eighth Street in downtown? I like the idea of the buses being able to get to the front of the queue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Transportation”