Think tank launches campaign to build more lanes, blames investments in public transit and bike infrastructure

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
upzoned
Block E

Think tank launches campaign to build more lanes, blames investments in public transit and bike infrastructure

Postby upzoned » June 6th, 2017, 9:29 am

https://www.americanexperiment.org/congestion/
http://www.startribune.com/twin-cities- ... 426586361/
The report released Monday coincided with the kickoff of the Center of the American Experiment's summerlong campaign to draw public attention to what it sees as the causes and effects of Twin Cities traffic congestion. It will include billboards, bumper stickers and radio ads with a goal of encouraging MnDOT and the Met Council to build more traffic lanes to keep commuters out of gridlock.

"They want to spend billions on trains and bike paths that will never carry more than a fraction of commuters," said the think tank's President John Hinderaker. "That is the policy that must change."

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Think tank launches campaign to build more lanes, blames investments in public transit and bike infrastructure

Postby David Greene » June 6th, 2017, 9:37 am

Randal O'Toole. Of course. Hasn't this guy had his 15 minutes? Isn't he completely discredited by this point? Do non-extreme conservatives even cite him anymore?

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Think tank launches campaign to build more lanes, blames investments in public transit and bike infrastructure

Postby amiller92 » June 6th, 2017, 9:40 am

Why does the Strib put in on the front (digital) page?

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » June 6th, 2017, 9:42 am

It will include billboards, bumper stickers and radio ads.
:lol:

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 6th, 2017, 10:45 am

So they're trying to set up a suburban/exurban wedge issue for the governor's race next fall, right?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » June 6th, 2017, 10:54 am

So they're trying to set up a suburban/exurban wedge issue for the governor's race next fall, right?
It's stupefying how obvious it is.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » June 6th, 2017, 11:36 am

Also, I know for a fact the license for that font is $400. Did they pay it?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 6th, 2017, 12:08 pm

This is frustrating given the actual transportation needs of our region and the limitations which have been placed on those needs by the anti-transit folks. From reading the first page of their report their bias is obvious. Unfortunately, I'm sure they're persuade numbers of Minnesotans who's media literacy isn't enough to see past this bias.

I was curious about their claim that Minnesota has some of the worst bottlenecks. I looked it up and saw that we have the 45th, 55th, 71st, and 87th worst bottlenecks in the nation. All where some part of I-35 meets other major highways.

I really hope the DFL keeps control of the Governor's office.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » June 14th, 2017, 6:29 pm

Spotted one of their billboards today. Faces west at the 494/35W interchange.

"Stuck in Traffic? Blame Dayton's Met Council!"

Anyone have the money so we can put up a response billboard?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 14th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Yeah, put it on my tab.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 15th, 2017, 6:42 am

Is it the most effective strategy to specifically call out one person by name, when that person is A. Quite popular, and B. Not running in 2018?

I mean, yes, the next Dem candidate will be running on continuing Dayton's policies, but still.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

upzoned
Block E

Postby upzoned » June 15th, 2017, 10:23 am

Chicago's CTA and associated regional transit agencies ran ads for awhile using the same message in order to encourage the use of public transit. Billboards and videos here.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » June 16th, 2017, 7:36 am

Is it the most effective strategy to specifically call out one person by name, when that person is A. Quite popular, and B. Not running in 2018?

I mean, yes, the next Dem candidate will be running on continuing Dayton's policies, but still.
He's quite popular within Ramsey and Hennepin Counties. His popularity starts dropping off outside of that.

I think Governor Dayton is a schmuck -- but I think it is also ridiculously stupid to blame him for traffic. People never seem to think about how they personally contribute to traffic woes by the choices they make. #PersonalResponsibility

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 16th, 2017, 7:43 am

"Stuck in Traffic? You chose to get in your car this morning and drive on this road!"

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » June 19th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Someone named Stephen Colburn (whom I do not know) sent me an unsolicited message on Facebook, with a link to this long-winded propaganda, and includes gems like "Buses not only can move more people per hour than light rail, a higher percentage of those people will be comfortably seated rather than standing." :roll:

and "Typical freeway lanes move five times as many people than light-rail lines". That's a dishonest statement. Comparing ridership to capacity is not the same thing. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Also some anti-bike stuff thrown in there for good measure. I had a paradigm shift when 3M's bicycle commuter program got me out of my car. I found I had a healthier, happier commute. Changing to the bike was a no-brainer.

Ugh. I consider myself a conservative, and this paper is full of crap. These days, I conserve my money by not taking my car everywhere!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 19th, 2017, 9:54 pm

Argh. Randall O'Toole is his own cottage industry of tickling a certain pleasure spot of the political right that wants the status quo tragedy of the commons highway planning to continue like it never has maintenance costs.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » July 13th, 2017, 8:57 pm

You know what the biggest head scratcher for me about O'Toole. its this little stub from his Wikipedia page under personal life
While critical of government subsidies to all forms of transportation, O'Toole is a fan of passenger trains and an amateur rail historian. His web site, Streamliner Memories, has more than 15 gigabytes of downloadable historic documents.[23] He has also written about railroad history for Minnesota History magazine.[24]

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » July 13th, 2017, 11:22 pm

You know what the biggest head scratcher for me about O'Toole. its this little stub from his Wikipedia page under personal life
While critical of government subsidies to all forms of transportation, O'Toole is a fan of passenger trains and an amateur rail historian. His web site, Streamliner Memories, has more than 15 gigabytes of downloadable historic documents.[23] He has also written about railroad history for Minnesota History magazine.[24]
Omg... these clowns are complete lunatics...

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 14th, 2017, 7:31 am

Imagine how much you would need to be paid in order to agree to build a career on mental gymnastics of that magnitude.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » July 14th, 2017, 8:49 am

I would assume he's an ayn randian "read Atlas Shrugged literally 1000 times" private train nut.