Green Line LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mullen
Foshay Tower

Re: Green Line (Central Corridor LRT)

Postby mullen » July 10th, 2014, 10:33 pm

opening weekend of the green line last month they led with a "poll" they claimed showed overwhelming lack of support for light rail. the first festive, celebratory day of the line and that's what they open with.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » July 11th, 2014, 6:41 am

Actually a lot of weathermen are climate change deniers because they know enough about meteorology to understand how unpredictable it is, and make the fallacy of assuming that since meteorology is chaotic, climatology must be too.

Regarding the Green Line, my personal anecdote is that Victoria is the best station on the line for lunch, and it seems a fair number of people know that since I've never been alone at the station, even at odd midday times.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 11th, 2014, 6:46 am

I wonder if they have a special gripe with lrt since it's out their front door. But you think the employees would love it now.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » July 11th, 2014, 8:59 am

Channel 5 news always wants you to be outraged about something. Stirring up drama seems to be goal #1. I don't bother watching it anymore.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 11th, 2014, 2:17 pm

They are CNN news of MPLS. They I THINK are in last place in the rates while would include Fox. They, like CNN, sensationalize thing with hope you will come back and see their news later for more details which really aren't any. Thus, you give lousy product, people go where they can find the real facts and stories. If you make something sound bad, they hope people will tune in to find out why.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 11th, 2014, 10:59 pm

Campus Fare Zone deal reached. On Met Council agenda for July 14.
Students & employees can buy a special pass for $8/semester for unlimited travel between campus stations.

CAMPUS ZONE PASS TERMS:
 One year demonstration contract
 Projected Annual Pass Sales of 112,000 cards at a semester card price of $8.00
 Offered to eligible students, staff and faculty not currently participating in the U-Pass or Metropass
Programs
 Provides for an Annual Contract True-up based on the final number of passes sold
 Provides unlimited rides, 7 days per week, on the METRO Green Line between the three University of
Minnesota Stations (West Bank, East Bank and Stadium Village).
 Will not be valid on any regional bus, commuter rail, or light rail outside of the zone encompassing the
three University of Minnesota METRO Green Line Stations.

http://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meeting ... 4_160.aspx

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » July 11th, 2014, 11:25 pm

Is it just me or is the sales figure assumption a little high?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 11th, 2014, 11:36 pm

Yes. There are about 50,000 students and I know there are not that many faculty. It's not a 1:1 ratio here. I know. There is more staff, but even with that added

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » July 11th, 2014, 11:40 pm

Just keep the choices be MetroPass or UPass for U students and staff so they don't have to worry about people accidentally trying to use it outside of campus.

And yeah that number seems quite high, I know there are a lot of people on campus but 112,000 cards seems extreme given many won't get it if they have a MetroPass or UPass anyways. Might be a typo...11-12k sounds more reasonable.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 12th, 2014, 12:05 am

Also they're selling them per semester, so in theory "only" about 37k people (if they purchased it all 3 semesters) would be needed to get to 112k, though I'll still agree that seems like an outrageous number.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » July 12th, 2014, 6:40 am

I'll be standing in line to get one! The number seems quite high even factoring in the three semesters a year included, but if it's not a typo I'll assume they have reason for it. At that price I would expect a very high uptake among non pass holders though.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » July 12th, 2014, 6:46 am

Speaking of passes, I should have factored in that I'm out of town for a week before having bought the monthly pass, but at least I got in a ride on the Green Line from Nicollet to Target Field for the 1st time before heading out.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » July 12th, 2014, 5:41 pm

I am currently at overflow cafe (best coffee shop on the greenline IMO) overlooking the prospect park stop.
The westbound trains are absolutely packed.. Some cars are standing room only . I imagine people are all heading to TCF stadium for the concert.
The sun is out, and the people are looking happy....all is good...

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 12th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Also the witches tower was open today was open to the public today, adding more people.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » July 13th, 2014, 8:52 pm

I'm on the Green Line leaving the MLB Futures game (which was not sold out) and the train is packed!!!! I bet the numbers for this week will be very high with the All Star events.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » July 14th, 2014, 7:41 am

I'm on the Green Line leaving the MLB Futures game (which was not sold out) and the train is packed!!!! I bet the numbers for this week will be very high with the All Star events.
I feel like I should follow up on my "good" story about the GL being packed last night with the "bad" that happened while I was at the Dale St station waiting to transfer to a bus... This was about 10:15-10:30pm.

I was waiting on the corner and a LARGE group (30-45) of teenagers were running all over the intersection between the split Dale St station. They were not using cross walks, they were mostly walking on the tracks in the middle of the intersection. Then a fight broke out. They were just swinging away (no weapons, and the punches weren't really landing any significant damage). There was lots of screaming and kids videoing the whole thing with phones. As it spilled onto the east Dale platform I could hear the speaker come on and metro transit told them to disperse. Then the sirens started and the all went running. Within 5 min there were about 6-7 police squads. They were looking for the kids, asked how many, asked about weapons, and thanked me for the info.

I was ok, but I can see how scary that would be for most. Not a good situation.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » July 14th, 2014, 10:27 am

It does sound like MT had it in hand pretty quickly, at least. That's good.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » July 15th, 2014, 6:10 pm

Overheard on the Green Line today...

Two families get on the train after the All Star Game parade. The operator makes the usual "This is a Green Line train to Downtown St. Paul, this is a Green Line train to Downtown St. Paul" announcements at each downtown station. There are also presumably the automated platform announcements, as well as, you know, the destination signs. After passing Nicollet Mall, one of the little kids (who are sitting separately) makes a comment, "Hey, we aren't going to St. Paul!" After no response from the parents, he repeats the observation. The parents are busy discussing the kids. Little Timmy (made up name) "isn't a sports guy", you see. After Government Plaza, one of the Dads says, "Hey, are we on the wrong train? I thought I heard them saying this is going to St. Paul." Mom says, "How did that happen? Is this the new train?" They got off at Downtown East.

Early on, with all the inconsistency in the destination signs, I could understand this happening. But some people just don't pay attention.
My flickr photos.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 15th, 2014, 6:30 pm

There is only so much effort that can save stupid from itself.

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » July 15th, 2014, 9:23 pm

I don't think it's stupid but more inattentiveness (too busy talking to one another). At least they were smart enough to get off at DT East before having to backtrack from West Bank or even farther.