Green Line LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Green Line (Central Corridor LRT)

Postby David Greene » August 25th, 2014, 9:14 pm

I'm just going to eat somewhere around the stadium village. Got off at Victoria and got yelled at by a group saying "eh white boy go back to linden hills."
Really? You're going to let that stop you? Get to know some people in the area. Start with Aurora St. Anthony Neighborhood Development Corporation. Also hit Golden Thyme on Selby & Milton.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 25th, 2014, 9:26 pm

All I wanted was food, and a lot of the places looked a bit sketchy, I had a bike with me. It's expensive and I really didn't want to leave it outside

hoffm83n
Metrodome

Postby hoffm83n » August 25th, 2014, 10:48 pm

screw those people. most places look sketchy but really aren't that bad and looking sketchy means you get cheap amazing food. next time have a good lock or even bring your bike inside. my experience with family owned restaurants along university would result in the owners beating the crap out of anyone who tried to mess with your bike. Ha tien grocery store off of western has amazing banh mi, cheng heng is awesome cambodian. if you go in the morning, trung nam west of dale has some of the best croissants there are, big daddys for bbq and hickory hut has great wings.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » August 25th, 2014, 11:32 pm

screw those people. most places look sketchy but really aren't that bad and looking sketchy means you get cheap amazing food. next time have a good lock or even bring your bike inside. my experience with family owned restaurants along university would result in the owners beating the crap out of anyone who tried to mess with your bike. Ha tien grocery store off of western has amazing banh mi, cheng heng is awesome cambodian. if you go in the morning, trung nam west of dale has some of the best croissants there are, big daddys for bbq and hickory hut has great wings.
Mostly unrelated to the Green Line - I've been meaning to try a new grocery store since Dragon Star has been getting worse and worse (which is saying something), but it's where I was used to going. I've heard good things about Ha TIen and Shuang Hur. Which should I be heading for next time I need to stock up on asian staples (rice noodles, huge bags of rice, basic spice mixes, etc.)? Deli is nice, but not necessary.

hoffm83n
Metrodome

Postby hoffm83n » August 25th, 2014, 11:43 pm

go to shuang hur, i remember their grocery stuff being cheaper but ha tien has amazing food, ducks, chickens etc. Also I've seen a couple media outlets say that the campus zone pass is $8 but according to umn email it is free. i'll be biking from roseville to east bank for my final class at the U this fall and if the weather gets too bad, this will make park and ride free and easy the few times i have to use it.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 25th, 2014, 11:48 pm

By my reading of the email, it sounds like the "trial program" is giving them away for free, and if you lose yours its $16 to replace the fall-spring pass and $8 to replace the summer, which is consistent with the previously given $8/semester.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 26th, 2014, 5:53 pm

It's pretty difficult to find a place between the U and Downtown St Paul where $10 is the cheapest food item. I 2nd Cheng Heng and I-Pho. I'll also add Demera (Victoria) for great Ethiopian: I might even have to go again this weekend. Locking up is a chore though, in part because there are no bike racks on the sidewalks: had to use a tree. I also forget they have bike racks near the entrance/exit of the stations, but I'm so used to getting to where I'm going and then looking for parking. With the Green Line you have these park & walks.

Oh yeah, train was 5 min late even with the three additional prioritized intersections. If that's any indicator, three's not enough.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 26th, 2014, 8:05 pm

It's pretty difficult to find a place between the U and Downtown St Paul where $10 is the cheapest food item.
What? Bonnie's Cafe, the Russian Tea House (though they have impossible hours), Que Nha, Flamingo, Hoa Bien, Homi, the Best Steak House, Trieu Chau...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 26th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Can we have an UrbanMSP breakfast at Bonnie's Cafe?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 26th, 2014, 9:15 pm

Can it be brunch? I don't wake up until 11:30 ;)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 26th, 2014, 11:49 pm

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » August 27th, 2014, 9:42 am

There is a big old weedy patch of green right across the street from kstp at the westgate station. Ok, so it's not a park but I thought one of the primary goals off the green line was to increase density.
Aren't parks kind of like retail? That is: a nice amenity for the surrounding population? Maybe that article would be more appropriate down the road when (hopefully) the green line is enveloped by higher density population. If at that point there was no retail or parks or other amenities that had followed the development, well, that would be concerning. It seems a bit early in the process to be clamoring for parks, no? I'd love for they big weedy patch of green to be replaced by some high density housing.

mulad

Postby mulad » August 27th, 2014, 10:03 am

editcostarica
Block E

Postby editcostarica » August 27th, 2014, 2:09 pm

I'm just going to eat somewhere around the stadium village. Got off at Victoria and got yelled at by a group saying "eh white boy go back to linden hills."
While I hope this is not the case, I highly doubt that anyone around University and Victoria would urge you to return to Linden Hills. I'm of Scandinavian descent and have lived near there for several years. I've never had any issues with anyone at all. You might want to leave your preconceived notions aside and explore the wonderful array of inexpensive eateries and bars in the area. A little cross-cultural exchange goes a long way towards quelling uneasiness.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 27th, 2014, 7:44 pm

I had my Specialized Crosstrail Disc Sport and was wearing some good looking glasses. I only got of to try to find food and I didn't want to attempt. I'll head back later maybe next week.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 27th, 2014, 7:45 pm

http://finance-commerce.com/transit/201 ... greenline/

Very interesting things happening on the green line!

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 27th, 2014, 8:12 pm

I had my Specialized Crosstrail Disc Sport and was wearing some good looking glasses.
So? You're making a huge assumption that in my experience is not even near warranted.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 27th, 2014, 8:46 pm

What assumption! I was yelled at lol. Wasn't the main reason why I left, I dont go to st Paul much and I don't know the area well. So I don't feel comfortable as much as you might. I'm 17 and stuff can happen to me that doesn't happen as much to adults. I dont ever play this card but since I feel that you think that I don't know the black community in multiple threads ill tell you I work in Whittier and half live there. Some of my great friends are black and I hate that you think that I'm making false assumptions

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » August 27th, 2014, 9:00 pm

Yeah, I think we can stop jumping down his throat now. If someone yelled that at me I would be pretty annoyed, too. I don't think it would cause me to leave the area, but it would still make me feel uncomfortable.
My flickr photos.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 27th, 2014, 9:03 pm

I just get angry when people make statements like that because I've worked side-by-side with people who live in that neighborhood on really huge campaigns to improve their communities. I've seen the dedication people have to their community. When someone comes along disparaging the people who live there...yeah, I get upset.

I mean, I had a crappy vintage 1997 Trek hybrid stolen from my garage several years ago yet I don't worry a bit about the $1000 road bike sitting on our (enclosed) porch.