Green Line LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Ottergoose
Metrodome

Re: Green Line (Central Corridor LRT)

Postby Ottergoose » August 14th, 2014, 8:04 am

It's easy to forget that the checkpoint, barbed wire, and watch towers have only been gone for 23 years.
Back in the good old days you had to pay an additional fare when you went between cities; perhaps we could reinstate that? :)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 14th, 2014, 9:02 am

It would be much easier (relatively speaking) to grade separate Snelling underneath University/Green Line. Wide sidewalks and maybe a slip lane for the NE corner would stay at grade, and four lanes of Snelling would slide underneath. Turns would be forced via jughandles (Spruce Tree, Sherburne). This would probably afford for more reclamation of Snelling from cars at 94 and Selby/Marshall too.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 14th, 2014, 9:10 am

There once was a proposal to send Snelling in a tunnel from Pierce Butler to south of University but the businesses on Snelling said "No!" Maybe a cut and cover of Snelling here from south of University Pierce Butler could happen to improve the pedestrian safety of Snelling and the LRT crossing.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 14th, 2014, 9:15 am

Why would any of that be easier than simply putting the LRT in a shallow tunnel and keeping the intersection at grade, as is?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 14th, 2014, 9:17 am

I can't find the intersection analysis, but just from observation it seems turning traffic exists at Snelling/University but it's a low proportion compared to traffic heading through on either street. More traffic seems to head to/from south Snelling to hop to 94. Obviously Snelling/94 is a mess too.

A few other ideas that could help: 1. Either realign Pierce Butler to Vandalia, or realign the Cretin/Vandalia ramps to include Cleveland. Extend the Pierce Butler name to signage at 94. This would alleviate some traffic on Snelling south of Pierce Butler. 2. As part of the Ayd Mill concept, work to move more local hops from University to 94 away from Snelling. Not sure exactly what this could look like, but they're already going to be adjusting things at Hamline.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 14th, 2014, 9:19 am

Why would any of that be easier than simply putting the LRT in a shallow tunnel and keeping the intersection at grade, as is?
Because other than shoring up the short piece of trackage over Snelling, it wouldn't require touching the LRT. It could probably be built with only a couple weekend LRT closures. Putting LRT in a shallow tunnel would require a block on each end for the grade change and a complete rebuild of the Snelling Ave station. It would require the LRT to be out for months at a minimum. There's not enough ROW to do an H channel for the cut-and-cover preserving the existing trackage in the middle.

Edit: These are all over DC and a few other cities. Granted, this is infrastructure for cars, but it would create more space for people. Here's an example from Washington Circle that shows how this can fit into an urban context: http://goo.gl/maps/uTMjd

Especially if access to University was provided via jughandles rather than slip lanes/ramps. This would eliminate the need for anything more than a bike/ped crossing for Snelling across the LRT. It would provide for massively larger sidewalks at the corner, and it could also help encourage walkable frontage as the Midway Marketplace corner redevelops.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » August 14th, 2014, 10:17 am

Is there any data on the increase of south-bound Blue Line boardings at the Downtown East station as of the opening of the Green Line? IE getting a number on those transferring from one line to the next?

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 14th, 2014, 4:39 pm

Wednesday morning taking off east onto University from Prospect Park the train was trying to make the light at Malcolm and sped up too fast: knocked the bottom wheel of my bike out and a guy almost fell out of his seat. That didn't help and we had to wait around 3 min for our signal.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » August 15th, 2014, 9:57 am

Wednesday morning taking off east onto University from Prospect Park the train was trying to make the light at Malcolm and sped up too fast: knocked the bottom wheel of my bike out and a guy almost fell out of his seat. That didn't help and we had to wait around 3 min for our signal.
This situation happens pretty often: driver accelerates rapidly only to slam on the brakes when the signal is just missed. Then the train waits for 2 or 3 full minutes for all the other traffic signal phases.

I really think that only slightly better signal priority is needed to make the line run much more smoothly. An extra ~10-15 seconds of green light, as needed, would take care of the worst delays with minimal impact on car traffic.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » August 15th, 2014, 10:06 am

I rode an eastbound train from Victoria to downtown Saint Paul yesterday. Watching the train approach was from Lexington extraordinary frustrating. It waited for a full cycle at Lexington and Griggs, including at least 60 seconds of Lexington north south traffic, and nearly an entire cycle at Victoria. However, the train did trigger signal priority at Grotto. The pedestrian signal crossing Grotto was counting down and switched to a white pedestrian walk signal as the train approached. Bits and pieces of the signal priority are working but Saint Paul is still giving way too much priority to north-south traffic at Dale, Lexington and University.

hoffm83n
Metrodome

Postby hoffm83n » August 16th, 2014, 8:29 am

Westbound from union, my train has stopped at almost every light in st. Paul

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » August 16th, 2014, 1:11 pm

Westbound from union, my train has stopped at almost every light in st. Paul

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Write to St. Paul (councilmembers, mayor, public works), and tell them this is unacceptable. I have and so far received some very promising responses.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » August 18th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Had to wait 25 minutes for a train today in the afternoon rush hour.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 18th, 2014, 4:50 pm

BizJournal story, unlocked for a Twitter and Facebook readers, highlighting lots of business angst along the line.

(Angst on the Green Line: A train in vain? http://t.co/JUxkq123aW [Cover story unlocked for Twitter])

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 18th, 2014, 5:13 pm

I can see the problem to tearing down something of historical value but if it's just a concrete structure, it doesn't matter that much. If you think you can fight the big dogs and bark and bite, then you do it. Prove to the city that you're not just another Asian Restaurant or just another rib joint. What worries me are the unique store, I don't think Gilbert Marty has much to worry about, his store looks to be of historical significance.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 18th, 2014, 5:28 pm

“It will be a little more of this yuppy, sidewalk dining, pizza on the sidewalk, drinks on the sidewalk. More like Minneapolis,” Marty said.
Quelle horreur!

I have noticed, though, that there seem to be a lot fewer apartments on Craigslist in this area than there were six months ago. Some of that might be seasonal, but I suspect there's been an increase in demand too.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 18th, 2014, 10:02 pm

I can see the problem to tearing down something of historical value but if it's just a concrete structure, it doesn't matter that much.
It matters a hell of a lot to people whose businesses are there.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 18th, 2014, 10:10 pm

Though, to be fair, it's not like they've been at that location in that building for X generations blah blah blah. Losing the business would be bad, the building, eh, not so much.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 18th, 2014, 11:24 pm

Like I said. If your building is doing well then you have proven you can't sell. But if you aren't... and you just moved in like 3 years ago and you're actually complaining about the train hurting your business when you started your business when you knew there was going to be a train there. Well.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 18th, 2014, 11:33 pm

Like I said. If your building is doing well then you have proven you can't sell. But if you aren't... and you just moved in like 3 years ago and you're actually complaining about the train hurting your business when you started your business when you knew there was going to be a train there. Well.
Really? We told people to open businesses there because the train would bring customers and when they want to tear the building down, "tough luck?"

Really?