Green Line LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
IllogicalJake
Target Field

Re: Green Line (Central Corridor LRT)

Postby IllogicalJake » August 7th, 2014, 7:52 pm

new york is an entirely different animal. we don't have throngs of tourists.
You're gonna love February in 2018...
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » August 7th, 2014, 8:36 pm

I've heard more than once around the Prospect Park and Westgate stations while on board, "Are we in St Paul/Minneapolis now?". I have to say, the Mpls-StP border has got to be about the worst for placement treatment anywhere: no one knows which city they're in and even I had to keep checking for a little while before I got a handle on it. No matter whether it's on the Green Line or Ford Express Pkwy or Lake-Marshall you better really know your city boundaries because it's a very subtle transition. Unless your a cyclist, in which case you're wondering where all the bike lanes and racks disappeared to (hint: to the west).
I can't believe how many people I have overheard that thought the East Bank station is still St. Paul, (yesterday someone even commented on how East Bank was the U of M St. Paul campus). People don't seem to realize both cities straddle the river. A lot of people really don't know MSP geography, even when they have lived here their entire lives.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » August 7th, 2014, 9:31 pm

Of course, I always expected new and exciting energies to come bubbling up around the Green Line... I just never thought so much of the new action would be beer related!

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... green-line

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 7th, 2014, 10:56 pm

"But it's going to ruin small businesses and take out restaurants"

-people in 2013

mulad

Postby mulad » August 7th, 2014, 11:44 pm

The big antenna tower at KSTP sits right on the border. Their building stretches across it, and the old main entrance is right on the line as well.. Emerald Street is the dividing line to the south.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 8th, 2014, 6:35 am

for five days whoopee. make sure you get of out town to avoid the hordes infringing on your urban experience.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » August 8th, 2014, 11:13 am

for five days whoopee. make sure you get of out town to avoid the hordes infringing on your urban experience.
I never said anything about disliking tourists...? Tourists are commonly a part of the urban experience.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

mulad

Postby mulad » August 9th, 2014, 8:06 am

The signal priority system through the University of Minnesota area appeared to be disabled when I went through around 5 pm yesterday. At least one intersection (Huron Blvd & Washington Ave) had red lights flashing. How did things go for people going to/from the Vikings game later in the evening?

Did they end up blocking off any roads to car traffic during the game like they'd typically do at the Metrodome?

illman00
City Center

Postby illman00 » August 10th, 2014, 7:50 pm

I went to the game and rode it from west bank station to the stadium station and it was very full. The way back we just walked and saw people who couldn't get on at east bank station because it was so full. So at least it looked like a lot of people used it!

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 12th, 2014, 12:08 pm

I've heard more than once around the Prospect Park and Westgate stations while on board, "Are we in St Paul/Minneapolis now?". I have to say, the Mpls-StP border has got to be about the worst for placement treatment anywhere: no one knows which city they're in and even I had to keep checking for a little while before I got a handle on it. No matter whether it's on the Green Line or Ford Express Pkwy or Lake-Marshall you better really know your city boundaries because it's a very subtle transition. Unless your a cyclist, in which case you're wondering where all the bike lanes and racks disappeared to (hint: to the west).
I can understand how on University it might be tough to tell the difference (and I've wondered why neither of the cities have a sign here...St. Paul strangely has one on Como, but not University), but the other two spots you mention have the two cities literally separated by a (fairly wide at that point) river. Is that really what we can call "subtle"? :mrgreen:

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 12th, 2014, 12:40 pm

What a strange complaint. The only one of those routes mentioned that is missing signs is University. Are you expecting a memorial arch or something? Emerald Street is the border, so Westgate is *just* into St. Paul. It could be better marked on the Greenline maps.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 12th, 2014, 1:41 pm

It's easy to forget that the checkpoint, barbed wire, and watch towers have only been gone for 23 years.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » August 13th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Met Council member Jon Commers @commers reports green line ridership is over 38,000 per day.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » August 13th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Whoa.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 13th, 2014, 8:39 pm

The big antenna tower at KSTP sits right on the border. Their building stretches across it, and the old main entrance is right on the line as well.. Emerald Street is the dividing line to the south.
I just rode down Emerald today; one side has dense apartments and the other SFHs. If I had to guess which side is which, I would've been wrong.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » August 14th, 2014, 6:50 am

Met Council member Jon Commers @commers reports green line ridership is over 38,000 per day.
Impressive. First, what year was this line supposed to carry this many daily, and two, what impact, if any, will these numbers have on funding & building out more LRT. I have to imagine models would show a synergy in ridership the better the network becomes. Might this also move streetcars forward faster?

http://www.metrocouncil.org/Transportat ... Facts.aspx

"Projected ridership of over 40,000 weekday boardings in 2030"

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » August 14th, 2014, 7:03 am

Wonder what this does to the chances of getting Riverview built as LRT?

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » August 14th, 2014, 7:27 am

While its great news that we're exceeding expectations, its too bad that the ridership projections were so low. With more accurate projections, things like the East Bank tunnel and the Snelling tunnel would have looked better on the CEI and might have made it into the project.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » August 14th, 2014, 7:31 am

While its great news that we're exceeding expectations, its too bad that the ridership projections were so low. With more accurate projections, things like the East Bank tunnel and the Snelling tunnel would have looked better on the CEI and might have made it into the project.
Hopefully tunnels at Snelling and others will be considered someday. I have to imagine cut and cover wouldn't be prohibitively expensive now that the ROW is secured.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 14th, 2014, 7:31 am

Or better yet, signal pre-emption in downtown Minneapolis.

The high ridership is helping by collecting more fares, but the slower than projected travel times are still putting a massive strain on Metro Transit's budget. I doubt MT will easily give up the fight in getting full preemption at lesser intersections along the line. They've gotta get this thing down to 48 minutes consistently (preferably even lower, obvs)

EDIT: Responding to nate's comment. That's an interesting point I hadn't thought about. They revised the projected ridership UP for this line, on multiple occasions during the planning process. Once Hiawatha ridership matured, they revised up, and then again just in the last couple years they revised up slightly more, based on the added 3 stations & whatnot. Meanwhile in some other cities, LRT lines are missing projections. I think it's always better to estimate low and then have smashing success, but you bring up an excellent point regarding the CEI. I for one am not sure the East Bank tunnel would be a better overall result than the ped plaza and traffic calming we got instead of a tunnel. An East Bank tunnel would basically mean the status quo above ground on Washington through campus (i.e. lots of car traffic). For Snelling though, St. Paul (or MNDOT) definitely should have pushed harder for grade separation there. I think they probably gave up that fight too easily.