Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
intercomnut
Rice Park

Re: Public Transit News and Current Happenings

Postby intercomnut » April 8th, 2016, 7:20 pm

From that same meeting, an aBRT update.

Not much new information, except it looks like the C-Line (if it gets funding) won't open until 2019.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 11th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Metro Transit is beginning to install the new generation of Go-To Readers on buses.

It makes a new noise and it's not nearly as satisfying!!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 11th, 2016, 3:25 pm

As long as it never does the super long shrill beep that the old readers do, that seems like a fair trade-off.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » April 12th, 2016, 6:23 am

This is so annoying. I am sure I am only echoing other readers sentiments. We are in such dire need of public transportation funding, both at the Federal and state level. It absolutely angers me that public transportation always takes a backseat to driving. How long will it take for people to wake up and get a clue. If we are going to invest in our future, it needs to start with public transportation.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » April 13th, 2016, 2:18 pm

Nice fluff piece about riding public transportation with a child:

http://www.startribune.com/the-horrors- ... 375439251/

And of course the Star Tribune comment of the day:
Very glad to learn that we are able to fully subsidize someone who obviously needs mass transit because they find the dashboard lights on a car too confusing. Yes, these are your tax dollars at work, ladies and gentlemen.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » April 14th, 2016, 8:00 am

Here's a presentation about improvements to the High Frequency network over the next two years, as well as general service improvements.

http://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meeting ... -Freq.aspx

New additions planned seem to be the the 2, 54 extension, and 62, although it looks like the only change in June will be the A Line. The route 54 extension is only showing up on the maps as a weekend addition, although I assume that is an oversight. It also shows new weekend service on route 30 (mentioned earlier, I believe) and what looks like parts of the western portion of route 9 shifted to a new all day route 643. Also, could we be seeing full night-owl service coming to routes 10 and 18? The other late-night service improvements are almost certainly just additional trips.

Still waiting for Route 539 to be included (not in the HFN, just service improvements in general). If every 15 minutes on weekdays is too much to ask then every 20 minutes, make the time span of service a little bit longer, and every half hour service on weekends. Pretty please.

Also if they could extend Route 4 to South Bloomington Transit Center, that'd be great.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » April 14th, 2016, 8:10 am

Bloomington service will be restructured when the Orange line opens.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » April 20th, 2016, 1:07 pm

East Metro Strong, representing Ramsey, Washington, and Dakota counties, questions the distribution of transit funding. They say the counties, taken together, have the same population as Hennepin County, yet lag behind their west metro counterpart in transit lines and employment.

https://www.minnpost.com/politics-polic ... ota-ramsey

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 20th, 2016, 2:03 pm

Good reply by Matt in particular. I did find the framing of parking/parking ramps as a business expense/burden quite interesting.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 20th, 2016, 9:21 pm

"East Metro Strong" is kind of an inherently annoying name, no?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 20th, 2016, 10:19 pm

Yep.

Also, good to see David Markle whining about the Green Line again. I was worried something had happened to him.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 21st, 2016, 7:59 am

Is Brillhart going to get a cardboard sign on a stake to go with that #LandUseMatters mantra?

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 21st, 2016, 12:40 pm

Yep.

Also, good to see David Markle whining about the Green Line again. I was worried something had happened to him.
Not sure if you have heard, but the Green Line should have gone in the freeway and traffic on the West Bank is terrible.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » April 22nd, 2016, 8:47 am

No. I think they placed it perfectly. Just look at all the development happening around the area. I am completely impressed with the green line. It shows just how willing people are to take trains over traditional buses. As a sidenote, I am very excited to see the development that occurs around the proposed greenline stations.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 22nd, 2016, 9:21 am

Adam was snarking about David Markle's repetitious comments about the Green Line.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 22nd, 2016, 10:27 am

Right. The Green Line turned out great because people can actually use it to get to and from a lot of stuff. Markle thinks its a tragedy because it's not either a street car or a commute line running in the freeway trench.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 22nd, 2016, 11:05 am

They share that view on Skyscrapercity

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 22nd, 2016, 11:15 am

They're right, maybe, in the abstract. If you were setting out to design an entire rail network, you might have a street car for local service with a parallel light rail for higher speeds and longer distances.

But we have enough trouble getting one rail line built, much less parallel ones, so the compromise of using the Green Line like a street car in the city and like a light rail in the suburbs (if/when SWLRT gets built) makes a whole lot of sense. And if you're going to pick just one, pick the one that goes to a lot of stuff.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » April 22nd, 2016, 11:37 am

The line that gets built carries a lot more riders than the one that doesn't.

jebr
Nicollet Mall

Postby jebr » April 22nd, 2016, 12:49 pm

It's not even all that slow from downtown to downtown. The Green Line is scheduled for 41 minutes from Warehouse District to Central, and the 94 is 24 minutes from 6th/Hennepin to Minnesota/5th. 17 minutes slower for a lot of extra stops and more connectivity. I think some of the old 94 buses used to take 35 minutes if they did the loop around the Capitol as well, and most were slower as they stopped at Snelling.

I don't think it would've been worth putting it in the freeway to save 5-10 minutes downtown to downtown. It wouldn't connect nearly as well with everything outside of downtown.