Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
intercomnut
Rice Park

Re: Public Transit News and Current Happenings

Postby intercomnut » June 22nd, 2017, 7:04 pm

It's entirely possible that a well timed smart traffic system would make things better for both cars and LRT.
Agreed. I think what they mean is if there's no train, there's no bar signal. At some of the lights, when there's a train signal and no train, no one is allowed to move. This eliminates that.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 22nd, 2017, 8:47 pm

Hope so. Additionally, for the really short stop spacing between Hennepin/Nicollet/Govt Plaza stations at least, it should be feasible to sync the lights such that the train doesn't even leave the station unless it'll be clear to get to the next without stopping. IMO, at least, it's less frustrating to sit at a station for longer than to stop between stations when they're only two blocks apart.

I've been kicking around a streets post on that topic for more than a year now. Maybe it'll be obsolete after next week!
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » July 7th, 2017, 2:56 pm

So now that the downtown Mpls LRT shutdown is over, has anyone noticed any difference in the operations of the trains in the past week? There was speculation somewhere that the new signals being installed would allow the trains to run more smoothly through downtown - curious to know if that is the case.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 7th, 2017, 3:11 pm

I rode the train on Tuesday. I didn't notice any better flow - but want to believe things will be tweaked as more time goes on. But I was frustrated that my train literally had to stop at every stoplight downtown, even when there was no cross traffic. SO annoying!

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Postby commissioner » July 8th, 2017, 12:51 am

One thing I'm confused about is that I looked at the presentation slides from February. It said Bidirectional signaling would be installed from Target field to US Bank Stadium station. I haven't seen any evidence of that yet, or maybe I missed something, they also took out the train signals between Nicollet mall and the warehouse district station and haven't replaced them.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » July 8th, 2017, 1:24 am

One thing I'm confused about is that I looked at the presentation slides from February. It said Bidirectional signaling would be installed from Target field to US Bank Stadium station. I haven't seen any evidence of that yet, or maybe I missed something, they also took out the train signals between Nicollet mall and the warehouse district station and haven't replaced them.
From what I've heard, the signaling work won't be complete until November. Part of that is reinstallinf signals at Nicollet and Hennepin.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 8th, 2017, 9:53 am

So now that the downtown Mpls LRT shutdown is over, has anyone noticed any difference in the operations of the trains in the past week? There was speculation somewhere that the new signals being installed would allow the trains to run more smoothly through downtown - curious to know if that is the case.
The one time I rode it out and in on Tuesday, we didn't stop between stations, except at Chicago on the way back in, which I don't think was included in the work. (And which they have preemption for, that the city won't let them use except post-stadium event.)

So, anecdotally, a bit better? Maybe?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » July 19th, 2017, 1:34 pm

MVTA is displaying a double decker bus at a few transit stations in the south metro:
http://www.mvta.com/news/double-decker- ... s-tuesday/

I looked at it in Eagan this morning. The height clearance on the second deck is 5 feet 9 inches (I'm 6 foot 4) so I had to duck quite a bit. I do like that it has two doors so not everyone has to enter and exit through one door.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » July 20th, 2017, 7:23 am

On KSTP's report about the crash between a car and the Green Line train they interviewed a 17 year old from Eden Prairie. Near the end of the televised report it was stated that the witness in their interview said he heard other witnesses tell the police that the car had the green light at the intersection. Taking a look at KSTP's online reports now I see no mention of that. Has anyone heard anymore info about this crash? The driver of the car died on Monday, a couple of days after the crash.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » July 20th, 2017, 8:53 am

MVTA is displaying a double decker bus at a few transit stations in the south metro:
http://www.mvta.com/news/double-decker- ... s-tuesday/

I looked at it in Eagan this morning. The height clearance on the second deck is 5 feet 9 inches (I'm 6 foot 4) so I had to duck quite a bit. I do like that it has two doors so not everyone has to enter and exit through one door.
I've been on those buses in Hong Kong. I can't say I ever really noticed the ceiling height on the second floor. However, I'm 5'10" a far cry from your 6'4" :lol: . Anyway, I'd be thrilled if Metro Transit could roll them out. They're much better than bendy buses.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 20th, 2017, 12:03 pm

On KSTP's report about the crash between a car and the Green Line train they interviewed a 17 year old from Eden Prairie. Near the end of the televised report it was stated that the witness in their interview said he heard other witnesses tell the police that the car had the green light at the intersection. Taking a look at KSTP's online reports now I see no mention of that. Has anyone heard anymore info about this crash? The driver of the car died on Monday, a couple of days after the crash.
The Strib reported the same. Wonder if the operator tried to beat the light...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 21st, 2017, 8:10 am

I've been on those buses in Hong Kong. I can't say I ever really noticed the ceiling height on the second floor. However, I'm 5'10" a far cry from your 6'4" :lol: . Anyway, I'd be thrilled if Metro Transit could roll them out. They're much better than bendy buses.
Oooh that reminds me of the bus to Stanley. I remember sitting in the very front row of the upper deck of a double decker bus going over this dam. What a transit thrill! https://goo.gl/maps/5Zw8tA9JUXL2

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » July 21st, 2017, 12:52 pm

Oooh that reminds me of the bus to Stanley. I remember sitting in the very front row of the upper deck of a double decker bus going over this dam. What a transit thrill! https://goo.gl/maps/5Zw8tA9JUXL2
Riding the bus in Hong Kong is incredible. They rip those things up and down mountains, on the side of cliffs and yes that dam. When I was there last month, my face was constantly pressed against the window. My friend on the other hand was nose deep in his phone... on tinder... :shock:

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 21st, 2017, 9:04 pm

A car drove through a bus today at Dale & Charles.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 26th, 2017, 6:51 pm

The Met Council approved the fare increase. Fares increase to $2.00 off-peak/$2.50 peak on October 1.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » July 28th, 2017, 12:18 pm

Metro Transit has posted the Aug 19 service change:

https://www.metrotransit.org/these-rout ... -on-aug-19

West End Restructuring:
9 - Simplified west end service to three branches.
25 - Extended to replace 9H and 649
604 - Louisiana Ave TC to West End service replaced by 645.
645 - Route 675 now stops at West End and is renumbered to 645. Local fares apply.
649 - Eliminated.

Service Improvements:
4 - Added peak hour trip reduces peak frequency to 8 minutes.
6 - 1 added SB PM peak trip.
365 - 3 trips stop at Newport P&R

Service Reductions:
3 - A/B branch service cut to every 60 minutes from every 30 on Saturdays.
17 - Trunk service reduced to every 30 min from every 15 min on Sat morning and Sundays
27 - Peak service reduced to every 30 min from every 10-20.
65 - Off-peak and Saturday reduced to every 30 min from every 20.
67 - Off-peak and Saturday reduced to every 30 min from every 20.
70 - First two and last two Saturday round trips eliminated.
83 - 5 SB and 7 NB trips eliminated, daily. Span of service reduced.
87 - Off-peak and Saturday reduced to every 30 min from every 20.
265 - 1 round-trip eliminated.
540 - last Saturday round-trip eliminated
542 - 4 trips eliminated
766 - Several morning and evening trips eliminated.
865 - Ham Lake and East Bethel service eliminated.

Misc.
5, 32 - 26th and Broadway terminal moved to 26th and Penn.
23 - Some peak trips change from Highland Park terminal to Vets Home terminal.

MVTA:
436 - 1 added evening trip.
442 - Hourly weekend service added.
465 - New weekday and weekend trips added to connect to 495. Timed for connections between U of M and Amazon Shakopee.

Minor time changes on various routes.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 28th, 2017, 12:52 pm

:/

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » July 28th, 2017, 1:00 pm

That's rough. Right on the heels of a fare increase, too.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 28th, 2017, 3:20 pm

:/
The 3 has had some pretty badly declining ridership once it gets into St. Paul.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 28th, 2017, 4:11 pm

Maybe so, but the 3 goes through two of the most transit-dependent neighborhoods in Saint Paul.