Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Postby EOst » July 17th, 2019, 10:38 am

Don't you think that would make the street a little bit... unpleasant to walk and bike on?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 17th, 2019, 11:54 am

Converting a left lane of speeding cars to a left lane of speeding buses?

blo442
City Center

Postby blo442 » July 17th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Regarding street width, operators specifically requested wider bus lanes after the first pilot. The city is interpreting this to mean 12' minimum width. With this restriction and four 10' travel lanes, the curb-to-curb width comes up 4' short, meaning only one bus lane possible. So as the reconstruct approaches, expect a fight over whether to widen the street, reduce the number of car lanes, or settle for one-direction bus lanes.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 17th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Given the experience of the barren 3100 block, I'm a bit hesitant to remove parking. I'm certainly open to it though.

I am not sure how one travel lane would work, especially during peak. Things are already backed up multiple blocks south of Franklin in the morning.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 17th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Not to mention the pretty significant need for bike lanes on this stretch.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » July 20th, 2019, 11:18 am

Upcoming August 17th service changes were reviewed at last week's Committee of the Whole meeting.

https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetin ... fair_.aspx
  • Green Line night bus replacement services, Sunday-Thursday nights (M-F early morning), 2 and 3 am trips.
  • 3S - trips are extended to Energy Park/Norris Circle
  • 64 - service span improvement
  • 68 - service span improvement
  • 118 - rerouted via local streets instead of 35W
  • 614 - eliminated
  • 670 - Hopkins park and ride relocation (SW LRT construction)
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul High School and U of M extra service reinstated
  • 83 rush hour trips eliminated on the following routes: 3, 4, 5, 6, 21, 22, 53, 54, 59, 64, 68, 71, 74, 94, 114, 133, 135, 156, 250, 265, 275, 365, 467, 553, 554, 645, 663, 667, 721, 760, 761, 766, 825, 850, 854, 860.
The changes have already been updated into the GTFS. Metro Transit hasn't published the new schedules yet, but the times can be checked on https://rideschedules.com/.

From what I have seen, the trip cuts are similar to the previous trip suspensions, in that the schedules are otherwise not being modified. While it makes sense (to address the operator shortage issue) to cut shifts that only complete one or two trips, the lack of schedule modifications creates weird gaps. Because the cuts are happening when service is most frequent, the gaps are very apparent (e.g. a bus that runs every 20 or 30 mins in the middle of rush hour will suddenly have a 40 or 60 min gap in service).

I am hoping that these are "suspensions" instead of permanent cuts - but I imagine that will be made clear once Metro Transit publishes the service change write-up.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 20th, 2019, 2:09 pm

These repeated cuts are extremely frustrating and dispiriting.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » July 20th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Indeed. I understand the labor issue (it's a problem facing many industries across the country currently), but there seems to be a lack of effort to rebuild bus schedules to be consistent or re-allocate money/hours from split shifts to increasing off-peak service. I would imagine that the part-time split shift schedules are unattractive to new hires, and having more standard shifts would not only make staffing easier, but less equipment would be needed as well.

In any case, Metro Transit should really put effort into equalizing frequency rather than cutting random trips.

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » July 26th, 2019, 2:23 pm

Full list of changes starting August 17:

https://www.metrotransit.org/routes-will-change-aug-17
Buildings, what buildings?

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » July 27th, 2019, 6:23 am

I appreciate that they're extending the span of service on the 64. :D

(ignore the 3 peak trips that are cut. :( )
ROUTE 64

• Select trips will be extended for earlier morning service to Maplewood Mall and North St. Paul on weekends, plus a later weekday trip from Maplewood Mall leaving at 12:21 a.m.
• Several westbound early morning trip times will change on weekdays and Sundays to improve transfer connections.
• Westbound Sunday trip that currently starts at 6:36 a.m. will move to Hillcrest.
• New eastbound Sunday 64H trip will be added leaving 5th & Minnesota at 1:20 a.m.
• Eastbound 64D trip leaving Smith Ave. Ramp & 5th St. at 7:59 a.m. will be eliminated.
• Westbound trips leaving Maplewood Mall Transit Center at 6:50 a.m. and 2:26 p.m. will be eliminated.
• Schedule times will be adjusted.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » August 2nd, 2019, 8:41 am

In this month’s newsletter it mentioned Network Next which is the 20 year plan. Have they done this in the past? How close should we expect it to be to reality?

https://www.metrotransit.org/network-next
Network Next: A system-wide vision for improved service

Over the next two years, Metro Transit will develop an ambitious vision to improve service over the next 20 years. Network Next will address how we will evolve and give direction for a spectrum of improvements including new and improved local and express routes, new arterial bus rapid transit (BRT) lines and integrating shared mobility options.

The plan will build on the strengths of the existing network, focusing on improvements to Metro Transit’s bus network. The plan will also identify potential improvements to the customer experience at the stop and onboard the bus. Feedback from the community will be integrated throughout the process as we tailor the plan to meet the needs of our customers and community. A draft of the complete plan will be developed by the end of 2020, with other major milestones to be shared along the way.

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » August 2nd, 2019, 12:58 pm

I am more wondering how this Network Next relates to the existing SIP.
https://www.metrotransit.org/sip
Jonathan Ahn, AICP | [email protected]
Personal thoughts and personal opinion only. May include incomplete information.

blo442
City Center

Postby blo442 » August 2nd, 2019, 3:09 pm

Network Next = new SIP + new aBRT Corridor Study (essentially). As for how close it gets to reality, it all depends on funding.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » August 16th, 2019, 6:29 am

I think I have asked this before, and maybe there’s not anyone out there who has a good answer for me, but I want to dig more into transit ridership numbers.

We live in the modern day of technology. Where do I go to find out what the ridership trends have been over the past six months on a specific bus route? I understand that bus ridership is down, and I know that they break it down between local and express. I want to go further. For example:

I would like to look at ridership trends on route six. Let’s just say I’m doing research and I want to see how ridership has changed on route six over the past year, but I want to do it month by month, or week by week. All of the buses must record every time someone scan card. How do I find this information, and why isn’t it released to the public? We live in an age where I feel like I should be able to search for a specific date, find out how many people got on and off the bus on that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » August 16th, 2019, 9:14 am

You probably need to do a FOIA request. AFAIK, route and stop level data is put together annually.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 16th, 2019, 12:33 pm

It might be here: https://gisdata.mn.gov/dataset/us-mn-st ... -google-fd

I've looked at it before. I think you can get at it throught MetroGIS. It's somewhere on the Met Council's site. I've been able to view the ridership by stop at one point. It was really cool.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » August 19th, 2019, 9:43 am

Close, but not quite.

This is the data you're looking for: https://gisdata.mn.gov/dataset/us-mn-st ... alightings

But as TCMetro says, Metro Transit doesn't publicly release the month-by-month data. I'm not sure how useful that would be anyway. The data above is year-by-year, which is a good interval of time to observe these trends.

gopherfan
Nicollet Mall

Postby gopherfan » August 20th, 2019, 12:46 pm

REAL BUS LANES in Minneapolis!

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » August 21st, 2019, 10:21 pm

I appreciate these are going in, but the bus lane on Chicago is quite short. It is basically a block long exclusive left turn lane into the Chicago-Lake Transit Center. Since the southbound D Line will likely stay on Chicago instead of turning into the transit center, it won’t even be of any use to it. Is any more of Chicago getting bus lanes?

As of today, Hennepin has been seal-coated and restripped, but the bus lane markings haven’t been added yet. These are going to be longer in length, but will be for parking off-peak, I believe.

Nicollet is getting some, too, correct? Anyone know any details?
My flickr photos.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » August 23rd, 2019, 7:19 pm

Also, there is a new bus counterflow lane on 28th St between 4th Ave and either Stevens Ave or 1st Ave, I forget which. Anyone know what it is for? I’d guess a revised routing for the 11 so it doesn’t have to split apart, but I can’t figure out how it would get back to 3rd Ave.
My flickr photos.