Gold Line (Gateway Corridor) BRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Vagueperson
Nicollet Mall

Re: Gold Line (Gateway Corridor BRT)

Postby Vagueperson » August 9th, 2017, 10:03 am

I wonder how much faster the Rush Line will be to get into DT than the 64. The 64 gets a little slow going through Railroad Island and along 7th.

Tiller
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tiller » August 9th, 2017, 12:43 pm

The proposed McKnight bus (77) would help, though it's low priority for implementation. With the Hillcrest golf course being redeveloped at some point in the future, perhaps it can get moved up.

With the 54 extension implemented, I'd like to see the 80 bus take over the 64N branch instead of traveling along white bear ave the whole way, with the entire route 80 bumped up to the 64N's frequency. The 64H branch can be eliminated, with the 64D bus (now called just the 64 bus since there are no branches) traveling south from Phalen Village to the Gold Line instead of going downtown. The 61, instead of being truncated when it hits Maryland, can instead go downtown via the high frequency area currently served by route 64 between Maryland/Arcade, down Payne, to downtown.

I have maps, though I'm on my phone and heading into work so I would have to post them later. I probably did something like that in the NE bus route restructuring map I posted a a couple months back in the fantasy map thread if you want to look.

Vagueperson
Nicollet Mall

Postby Vagueperson » August 9th, 2017, 10:02 pm

This one?: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 98629&z=12

It's quite a bit different than what you're describing here.

twincitizen

Re: Gold Line (Gateway Corridor) BRT

Postby twincitizen » November 13th, 2017, 2:12 pm

WashCo Commissioner Lisa Weik with an update: http://www.woodburybulletin.com/opinion ... rt-project

I don't think it was announced here, but the Gold Line project is now in the hands of Metro Transit for engineering/construction phase. The project has been assigned to the BRT / Small Starts office, which manages the aBRT program and Orange Line. This is a good thing - that office is full of some of the brightest transit planners in the region. I'm not super sure on the funding scheme for Gold Line, but if submitted to FTA it would be considered "New Starts" due to the project's cost, making it the first "large" project for the BRT / Small Starts office.

Metro Transit has a website up: https://www.metrotransit.org/gold-line-project
Project Development 2018-19
Engineering 2020-21
Construction start 2022 (hey 10 years after this thread began)
Operations start 2024 (~2 years after SWLRT, 1 year after BLRT)

Looks like they've built in some pad time even since the new route down Bielenberg Dr was chosen last year. With a route chosen, I'm at a loss for what the 2 years of "project development" is for, and why engineering work cannot occur somewhat simultaneously. I can only conclude that the lengthened timeline is intentional, either to allow Washington County sales tax revenues to build up, or to continue building political support for the project.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 13th, 2017, 3:56 pm

2024? Geez, that's a long way out. What's going to change in the interim? This project feels very flimsy in terms of its long-term viability as currently designed.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 13th, 2017, 5:21 pm

David Greene wrote:
November 13th, 2017, 3:56 pm
2024? Geez, that's a long way out. What's going to change in the interim? This project feels very flimsy in terms of its long-term viability as currently designed.
2024 does seem like a ways away, but conversely, 2011 doesn't seem like it was that long ago - so it's all relative I guess. Regardless, hopefully this will stay on schedule, and actually open when planned.

Return to “Transportation”