Gold Line BRT (Gateway Corridor)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Silophant

Re: Gold Line BRT (Gateway Corridor)

Postby Silophant » October 3rd, 2018, 12:56 pm

Gotta artificially drive usage of Union Depot so we can pretend the quarter billion dollars spent to restore it for two trains a day was worth it.

DanPatchToget
Rice Park

Postby DanPatchToget » October 3rd, 2018, 1:10 pm

nate wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 12:31 pm
What is the projected ridership of the Gold Line? IIRC it is in the 5-7k range. A 2% increase in project budget that results in a 10-20% increase in ridership is a steal at twice the price. Why, exactly, wouldn’t we want to do this?
Like Silophant said, to make people go through Union Depot so it looks busy more than just when the Empire Builder goes through.

To be fair, it makes a nice regional and intercity transit hub, but we did it before actually having any regional and intercity routes to serve it.

tmart
Landmark Center

Postby tmart » October 3rd, 2018, 3:34 pm

To be fair, there was a very reasonable expectation at the time that the Depot would be served by more frequent high-speed rail to Wisconsin and Chicago, and in fact it came very close to reality before Scott Walker decided he'd rather give the money to California HSR.

It was also a time when we were actively planning new light and commuter rail projects--things like St. Paul-Rochester and St. Paul-Duluth were on the table, and the mode choices for the Gold Line, Red Rock, and Rush Line corridors had not yet been made.

A lot went wrong for rail projects in MN since then. Sometimes you try to do something forward-thinking and the expected growth never materializes.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 4th, 2018, 8:51 am

I'm still not getting what this "LOOP" is... an extension from Union Depot to Smith Ave that crosses downtown and doesn't force a transfer to the Green Line? That's not a loop, that's an extension. And it makes sense.

Know what else makes sense and would drive ridership? Extending it to Minneapolis over I-94...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mJMag ... sp=sharing

DanPatchToget
Rice Park

Postby DanPatchToget » October 4th, 2018, 8:57 am

mattaudio wrote:
October 4th, 2018, 8:51 am
I'm still not getting what this "LOOP" is... an extension from Union Depot to Smith Ave that crosses downtown and doesn't force a transfer to the Green Line? That's not a loop, that's an extension. And it makes sense.

Know what else makes sense and would drive ridership? Extending it to Minneapolis over I-94...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mJMag ... sp=sharing
I'm curious how much that would cost and how much ridership would be gained from that. Assuming it replaces Route 94 then the majority if not all of those riders would switch, maybe a microscopic amount from the Green Line, and people from the eastern suburbs who would have a one-seat ride to/from Minneapolis (how many people that is I don't know).

Vagueperson
Landmark Center

Postby Vagueperson » October 5th, 2018, 4:39 pm

Nobody riding end to end on this line would be inconvenienced by adding the "loop." Those people who don't want the loop will still be able to get on/off the bus near the Union Depot. Adding the loop simply adds an option for people starting or stopping further west.
Additionally, from what I read dropping the loop might lower ridership numbers to a point where this thing doesn't get federal funding. So I'm guessing it's not much of a discussion.

However, if the county commissioners can convince the city to make them bus only lanes... !

Vagueperson
Landmark Center

Postby Vagueperson » October 5th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Oh wait, already bus-only lanes... isn't that what the commissioners were arguing about?

Return to “Transportation”