Northstar Commuter Rail

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
commissioner
Metrodome

Re: Northstar Commuter Rail

Postby commissioner » September 10th, 2019, 7:39 pm

IIRC the Fridley station was built for tracks on both sides of the platform, I would think that would help more than anything.

mulad

Postby mulad » March 4th, 2020, 8:25 am

Rep. Dan Wolgamott of St. Cloud has introduced another bill this year to get funding to push Northstar along. Following the $650,000 from last year to study the route and begin negotiations with BNSF, this year's bill would put another $6 million into negotiations and planning. It's HF 4017.

https://www.sctimes.com/story/news/2020 ... 942647002/
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.p ... n_number=0

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » March 4th, 2020, 9:38 am

It is so dumb to not complete this line to St Cloud. The growth of that corridor demands better service and with over half of the route done it is time to finish... the conservatives just want to “prove” mass transit doesn’t work... I’m so glad St Cloud elected someone who wants to see this project completed... glad this guy is pushing this forward!

DanPatchToget
US Bank Plaza

Postby DanPatchToget » March 6th, 2020, 1:24 pm

The optimist in me likes to see progress being made on the St. Cloud extension, but the pessimist side of me is disappointed this study will take 2 years and even after that's done (if it's done) it doesn't mean trains will start serving St. Cloud right away. Also I'm not hopeful that service to St. Cloud will be substantial. At most we should only expect the existing trips (5 commute, 1 reverse commute) extended to St. Cloud. Not exactly the all-day regional rail service that people like myself know makes sense and should be pursued.

DanPatchToget
US Bank Plaza

Postby DanPatchToget » June 23rd, 2020, 8:12 pm

Depressing fact of the day: Northstar daily ridership is in the double digits.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 24th, 2020, 2:46 pm

And we think the carbon footprint of people driving their SUVs is bad -- just imagine what the numbers on a diesel locomotive hauling a couple dozen people looks like.

DanPatchToget
US Bank Plaza

Postby DanPatchToget » June 24th, 2020, 3:02 pm

I’m guessing easier said than done borrowing a couple RDCs to temporarily replace the giant diesel locomotives and coaches for 25 or less riders per trip.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 24th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Or you could just run a coach bus.

DanPatchToget
US Bank Plaza

Postby DanPatchToget » June 24th, 2020, 5:57 pm

True. Add one or two additional roundtrips just to make sure there's enough social distancing, and just extend the 887 (Northstar Link) all the way to Minneapolis.

Mdcastle
Foshay Tower

Postby Mdcastle » June 24th, 2020, 6:12 pm

Maybe we should just suspend the service, as I doubt you'd have a lot of takers for a bus. A lot of those couple of dozen are probably people that refuse to ride buses and others don't want to risk getting coronavirus sitting together on a bus instead of spread out on a train.

Probably a bigger carbon footprint is all those airplanes that are flying empty or nearly empty.

Return to “Transportation”