Northstar Commuter Rail

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mulad

Re: Northstar

Postby mulad » January 4th, 2013, 10:24 pm

USA Today ran an article on positive train control which used Northstar as an example. BNSF is working on adding PTC signaling to the line, and Northstar locomotives and cabs are planned to get corresponding hardware in 2014.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013 ... s/1809241/

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » January 5th, 2013, 10:11 pm

I still have hope for the line. When I was back in town, I took the Hiawatha from the airport to downtown, then transferred to the Northstar that brought me up to Elk River. I was a bit discouraged, though, that for the return trip on the Northstar on a Thursday, the last train departed the Elk River station at 7:41 AM or so. Instead of every 20 minutes in the morning up to that time, they should have a train run every hour or 1/2 an hour, with the last train arriving into Mpls. by 8:30/8:45 as some people don't work until 9:00 AM.

Being lazy, but doesn't anyone know of the whether there are still plans to extend the line up to St. Cloud?

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » January 5th, 2013, 11:11 pm

We'll have a moon base before the line gets extended to St. Cloud

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » January 6th, 2013, 1:55 am

sad, but true

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » January 6th, 2013, 2:06 am

We'll have a moon base before the line gets extended to St. Cloud
Just think what we could have done if Old Newt were president... :lol:

mulad

Postby mulad » January 7th, 2013, 11:17 pm

Apparently there will be a few legislators pushing for the extension as the new session starts, but I can't say if anything will come of it.

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20130107 ... ck_check=1

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » January 7th, 2013, 11:57 pm

As much as I want commuter rail lines to be successful in MN, I would prefer some of the DFLer's get reelected in the next election... Here's hoping they can walk the fine line of power and responsibility :)

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » January 8th, 2013, 12:08 am

Apparently there will be a few legislators pushing for the extension as the new session starts, but I can't say if anything will come of it.

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20130107 ... ck_check=1
Not a surprise at all that the senate senator from Sartell prefers the expansion of I-94 over the Northstar expansion, my relatives who live north of there say it's full of people who are not too fond of public transit. Wouldn't adding a third lane to I-94 past Rogers just make people more inclined to live in the exurbs in Wright County, even with the increasing price of gas? They keep upgrading intersections currently with stoplights to grade-separated interchanges between Ramsey and Clearwater on Highway 10 anyway, and will keep doing so for years. Even though it is across the Mississippi from 94 and serves different exurbs in Sherburne County, it should help on travel times at least a little bit with the upgraded interchanges. I'd rather see I-494 in Bloomington get expanded if they really want to upgrade a corridor.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » January 8th, 2013, 12:18 am

I've never traveled the NW 94 corridor during rush hour except during cabin season... Is it ever near as congested as 494?

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » January 8th, 2013, 12:40 am

It can get bad, but I would say 494 is worse. I usually drive to Saint Cloud during non-rush hour periods to avoid traffic, and usually when I get in a traffic jam it is usually due to construction. During my freshman year at MNSU, I spent anywhere between 15 mins, 30 mins, to even a few hours (due to a bad winter storm) on Fridays heading back to the cities on 494, but I always left during rush hours because of afternoon classes. That was before they built the new 494/169 interchange though, so maybe traffic flow is a little bit improved there now. The AADT for I-94 in Wright County is a probably 1/3rd of what is on 494 in Bloomington.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 8th, 2013, 9:23 am

We can't afford much more expansion. If anything, we should focus on maintaining US-10 as an interregional corridor (that is a road, not a street) instead of watching it degrade. Therefore, plans should be made to close intersections instead of building interchanges. Grade separations should be prioritized for long-urbanized areas (towns) and avoided in greenfield development sites. If it is important for cities and counties to develop on the edges of urbanized areas, those local governments can foot the bill for a network of frontage streets that carry vehicles to those local uses. But this all starts with getting the political guts to stand up and close intersections. http://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2013 ... pilot.html

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » January 9th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Used to come back from Camp Ripley Sunday evenings.
It totally sucked- I'd assume traffic didn't get better
Brainerd Raceway, Northern Minnesota are huge draws summer -

As much as I don't like sprawl, those boaters and campers are lifeblood for outstaters

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 9th, 2013, 8:10 pm

I have a coworker that lives way North, up by Albertville I think (we work at the UofM for reference). He was telling me that they ever built that choo choo all the way up to St Cloud he'd move to some place even more absurdly north (like, north of St Cloud) and drive the half hour to St Cloud and then take the train into Minneapolis. I don't even know about people sometimes...

His commute is about an hour right now as is, I don't know how he handles it all.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 9th, 2013, 8:21 pm

I have a coworker that lives way North, up by Albertville I think (we work at the UofM for reference). He was telling me that they ever built that choo choo all the way up to St Cloud he'd move to some place even more absurdly north (like, north of St Cloud) and drive the half hour to St Cloud and then take the train into Minneapolis. I don't even know about people sometimes...

His commute is about an hour right now as is, I don't know how he handles it all.
My dad wakes up at 4:30 in the morning to drive to a train station to take a commuter train 50 miles north to a subway station to his office in DC. People do crazy things for an extra bedroom in the pretend countryside.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » January 9th, 2013, 10:10 pm

My uncle used to commute from Roseville to Saint Cloud, and after he got laid off and got another job, he commuted to Paynesville. Then it was Elk River, and now I think it's somewhere in the cities. So many hours just spent sitting in a car every single weekday. Being on a commuter train as long as it fit your work schedule might be more comfortable, but I'd rather just live near my work so I could sleep in later and just be able to either walk or use the bus/light rail.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » January 14th, 2013, 10:24 am

As long as we're a bit off topic on commute times, I'll add that I've always suspected this is an oft-ignored significant contributor to our nations' obesity problem. An hour commute vs. a 15 minute commute is an extra 16 days a year sitting on your butt (assuming you don't just go home and park on the couch).

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » January 14th, 2013, 2:34 pm

Agree ^^^^

At least sitting on your butt you still get exercise going to the fridge-

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » January 14th, 2013, 11:46 pm

Maybe they could put a couple exercise bikes on the Northstar, to combat the risk of obesity from sitting down for a daily roundtrip 80 mile train ride from Big Lake to Minneapolis :lol:

Matt
Metrodome

Postby Matt » January 16th, 2013, 9:28 pm

Maybe they could put a couple exercise bikes on the Northstar, to combat the risk of obesity from sitting down for a daily roundtrip 80 mile train ride from Big Lake to Minneapolis :lol:
That would actually be pretty cool! Especially on Amtrak or other longer haul commuter lines.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » February 2nd, 2013, 12:44 am

Bill to extend this to St Cloud was introduced, as was one for the NLX