Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
grant1simons2
IDS Center
Posts: 4044
Joined: February 8th, 2014, 11:33 pm
Location: Marcy-Holmes

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby grant1simons2 » February 15th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Animation of how SWLRT will look in Hopkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEcXLhAEGII

User avatar
Anondson
Capella Tower
Posts: 2990
Joined: July 21st, 2013, 8:57 pm
Location: Where West Minneapolis Once Was

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby Anondson » February 15th, 2017, 3:34 pm

It was nifty to watch. I wish the Blake drop off zone didn't have curbs. It should be woonerf-like with bollard posts designating the bay to pull into to drop riders.

grrdanko
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 105
Joined: December 21st, 2014, 3:14 pm
Location: Downtown

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby grrdanko » February 20th, 2017, 5:13 pm

http://www.startribune.com/gop-lawmaker ... 414281213/

It looks like SWLRT could be dead if some suburban and rural lawmakers get their way.

HuskyGrad
Landmark Center
Posts: 253
Joined: May 13th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby HuskyGrad » February 20th, 2017, 5:24 pm

grrdanko wrote:http://www.startribune.com/gop-lawmaker ... 414281213/

It looks like SWLRT could be dead if some suburban and rural lawmakers get their way.
Too bad for them it doesn't work that way. Ask Wisconsin, Florida, and Ohio who turned down high speed rail money. The money would just go to transit projects in other states.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by HuskyGrad on February 20th, 2017, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Anondson
Capella Tower
Posts: 2990
Joined: July 21st, 2013, 8:57 pm
Location: Where West Minneapolis Once Was

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby Anondson » February 20th, 2017, 5:24 pm

It still needs to pass the governor, right?

grrdanko
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 105
Joined: December 21st, 2014, 3:14 pm
Location: Downtown

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby grrdanko » February 20th, 2017, 5:56 pm

HuskyGrad wrote:
February 20th, 2017, 5:24 pm
grrdanko wrote:http://www.startribune.com/gop-lawmaker ... 414281213/

It looks like SWLRT could be dead if some suburban and rural lawmakers get their way.
Too bad for them it doesn't work that way. Ask Wisconsin, Florida, and Ohio who turned down high speed rail money. The money would just go to transit projects in other states.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But they are also saying that they would rather turn down the money than have SWLFT built.

Silophant
Moderator
Posts: 3033
Joined: June 20th, 2012, 4:33 pm
Location: 9Marq

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby Silophant » February 20th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Nice of them to come out and admit that they're willing to screw the whole state to say they beat the DFL.

grrdanko
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 105
Joined: December 21st, 2014, 3:14 pm
Location: Downtown

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby grrdanko » February 20th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Anondson wrote:
February 20th, 2017, 5:24 pm
It still needs to pass the governor, right?
No. Resolutions don't need the Governor's signature. If it's passed it won't be a law it will be the Minnesota legislature formally asking the Federal government if they can use the money for something else than it was intended for.

David Greene
IDS Center
Posts: 4610
Joined: December 4th, 2012, 11:41 am

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby David Greene » February 20th, 2017, 7:51 pm

Is this even constitutional? The executive branch implements law, not the legislature. The legislature can't tell the feds how the state wants the money to be used unless they actually pass a law and get it signed.

But as we know these days, our constitutions are just ink on pages.

I suppose they can pass resolutions but in any non-crazy federal administration it would do nothing. With this one? I'm worried.



RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower
Posts: 2679
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 4:31 pm

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 21st, 2017, 9:41 am

I think we'll have a good idea how the feds will respond once the California Caltrain electrification project is decided http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/201 ... train.html

A similar tactic was used, just by California's US House delegation rather than state legislators via resolution. If Chao signs off on the project, I think it's a good bet SWLRT would still be funded. But yeah, it's pretty crazy how lazer-focused the MNGOP is on killing SWLRT.

MNdible
is great.
Posts: 5196
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby MNdible » February 21st, 2017, 10:24 am

This kind of a strategy could backfire for the Republicans by leaving their suburban members exposed on an issue that their constituents care about.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 784
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 10:30 am

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby VAStationDude » February 21st, 2017, 10:31 am

Hello David Hann.

Silophant
Moderator
Posts: 3033
Joined: June 20th, 2012, 4:33 pm
Location: 9Marq

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby Silophant » February 21st, 2017, 10:32 am

I would imagine that UnitedHealth and similar large corporate interests wouldn't be thrilled either, right?

kirby96
Union Depot
Posts: 325
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 11:30 am

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby kirby96 » February 21st, 2017, 12:06 pm

With this administration, the standard deviation of behavior from the norm is so great that who knows how this kind of thing plays out. It could easily be as feared: pander to the state GOP and divert funding. But these types of projects are as close as any to 'shovel-ready', and I gotta think Trump wants some tangible stories to go along with his infrastructure/jobs 'platform'.

Or put another way, he can't tweet about how he alone got the light rail built in the battleground state of Minnesota and created thousands of jobs if his administration diverts the funding to some theoretical project 2 years down the road or more.

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 105
Joined: February 13th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » February 21st, 2017, 5:06 pm

Meanwhile, it's not a "boondoggle" to build and maintain thousands of lane-miles of state and interstate highway so that people can live 35 miles from their jobs. Nor is it a boondoggle to send CSAH money to all the overly capacious mega-stroads that take them to their big-box grocery store 4 miles away (the closest it can be due to aggressive suburban zoning). Nor is it a boondoggle that they actually have to drive six miles to make that 4-mile trip, due to the divergent, disconnected road structures that have been put in place to ensure that people who've chosen a car-dependent lifestyle can still avoid seeing any cars in their own neighborhoods. (Because somehow, going six miles at 50 mph is preferable to going one mile at a safer, neighborhood-compatible 20 or 25).

So a transit system that will serve people who live at more-workable moderate distances (even including some suburban areas) is just crazy wasteful... yet the anti-SWLRT crowd is more than happy to receive urban dwellers' contributions among the state funds that feed a five-lane CSAH stroad in Lakeville or a multi-lane highway bypass around a town of 8,000. At its core, this is just good old rural vs. urban agitation -- with all the race, religion, and orientation undertones that come with it. We're going to build a wall of unsustainable infrastructure choices... and we're gonna make those city slickers pay for it!!

MNdible
is great.
Posts: 5196
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby MNdible » February 21st, 2017, 6:07 pm

Consider this choir well and truly preached to.

phop
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 124
Joined: May 28th, 2013, 8:58 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby phop » February 22nd, 2017, 2:12 pm

RailBaronYarr wrote:
February 21st, 2017, 9:41 am
I think we'll have a good idea how the feds will respond once the California Caltrain electrification project is decided http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/201 ... train.html

A similar tactic was used, just by California's US House delegation rather than state legislators via resolution. If Chao signs off on the project, I think it's a good bet SWLRT would still be funded. But yeah, it's pretty crazy how lazer-focused the MNGOP is on killing SWLRT.
Wasn't a delay of the Caltrain grant announced by the FTA a few days ago? :(

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower
Posts: 3083
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 9:19 am

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 22nd, 2017, 2:19 pm

Silophant wrote:
February 21st, 2017, 10:32 am
I would imagine that UnitedHealth and similar large corporate interests wouldn't be thrilled either, right?
The irony is that UHG leans heavily right, like many large corporations do.

kirby96
Union Depot
Posts: 325
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 11:30 am

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby kirby96 » February 22nd, 2017, 3:13 pm

phop wrote:
February 22nd, 2017, 2:12 pm
RailBaronYarr wrote:
February 21st, 2017, 9:41 am
I think we'll have a good idea how the feds will respond once the California Caltrain electrification project is decided http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/201 ... train.html

A similar tactic was used, just by California's US House delegation rather than state legislators via resolution. If Chao signs off on the project, I think it's a good bet SWLRT would still be funded. But yeah, it's pretty crazy how lazer-focused the MNGOP is on killing SWLRT.
Wasn't a delay of the Caltrain grant announced by the FTA a few days ago? :(
Yeah. That don't look too good.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/0 ... -congress/

David Greene
IDS Center
Posts: 4610
Joined: December 4th, 2012, 11:41 am

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby David Greene » February 22nd, 2017, 3:25 pm

Time to start making contacts. Call your legislators and get allies aware and on board for a fight.


Return to “Transportation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kellonathan, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests