Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
SamHartmen

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby SamHartmen » April 30th, 2016, 8:02 pm

That might be good news for the Green line, and for the Blue line which would be seeking money when? Next year?

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » May 2nd, 2016, 7:12 am

I am excited to see the devolopment that occours along the route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 2nd, 2016, 9:04 am

Senate bonding proposal:

http://bringmethenews.com/2016/05/02/se ... the-state/

https://bringmethenews.files.wordpress. ... 1-2016.pdf

Am I reading that right? No bonding for SWLRT?

Maybe that makes some of you happy but throwing the baby out with the bath water is really going to hurt us in getting transit funding going forward.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » May 2nd, 2016, 9:13 am

I wonder if there's still a holdout among transit supporting senators for a dedicated revenue stream. The prospect of having to go to war with outstate MN over every new leg of a growing transit system in the next few decades can't be appealing.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 2nd, 2016, 9:17 am

So, a DFL bonding bill that at least seven DFL senators have publicly pledged not to vote for?

Huh.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 2nd, 2016, 9:27 am

I wonder if there's still a holdout among transit supporting senators for a dedicated revenue stream. The prospect of having to go to war with outstate MN over every new leg of a growing transit system in the next few decades can't be appealing.
While I share that sentiment to a degree, this is literally the last bit of funding needed and we need it this year. No way a comprehensive funding package passes with significant new dedicated transit funding, not in an election year.

Maybe they're working on a line-item in a smaller transportation bill? I'm not hopeful...

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 2nd, 2016, 9:37 am

If you believe in SWLRT, this is probably the moment to email your state senator.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 2nd, 2016, 9:43 am

Yeah, I figured I didn't need to, since my senator is Dibble himself, but...
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 2nd, 2016, 9:44 am

I just sent a note to Dibble (I am also a constituent). He has spoken against the project in the past and has never been vocal about supporting it, so he needs to hear from people.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » May 2nd, 2016, 9:51 am

I wrote one, despite my senator being one of the seven who refused to sign a bonding bill without SWLRT.

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » May 2nd, 2016, 10:07 am

It's strategic. It keeps the transportation debate confined to the comprehensive effort. I think there's a good chance a transportation bill happens, and the senators must know it. Daudt and others are very careful with their wording. They won't vote for a bill that specifically funds SWLRT. A metro-wide transit tax lets them off the hook.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 2nd, 2016, 10:13 am

You're way more optimistic than I am.

Republicans voting for a tax increase in an election year? No way.

Also, other transitways, the Access project, etc. are in the bonding bill.
Last edited by David Greene on May 2nd, 2016, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 2nd, 2016, 10:13 am

The bonding bill proposal includes funding for several other transportation projects...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 2nd, 2016, 10:52 am

Reminder: the bonding bill requires a supermajority vote in both chambers. I don't know how you move a big bonding bill through the House with SWLRT attached. The DFL is already going to be pushing the House to vote for a bigger bonding bill than the GOP wants. Including SWLRT would result in no bonding bill at all, and that would be an unmitigated disaster.

I think the DFL is going to do everything they can to get a metro sales tax increase in the transportation bill (requiring a simple majority vote), even if it comes down to only being in Hennepin and Ramsey counties. It was beginning to sound like Sen. Dibble was coming around to that possibility weeks ago.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 2nd, 2016, 10:57 am

Would the GOP really kill the whole bonding bill over SWLRT? When businesses in the corridor want it?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 2nd, 2016, 11:22 am

Looking at the bonding bill items, I think I'd be ok with no bonding bill at all. Too much ridiculousness in there. For example, new freeway ramps at CR 140 in Chaska. A sprawl subsidy, with real harm done to a regional transportation corridor.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 2nd, 2016, 11:29 am

It was beginning to sound like Sen. Dibble was coming around to that possibility weeks ago.
That's the first positive news I've heard on the transportation bill in months.

stp1980
Metrodome

Postby stp1980 » May 2nd, 2016, 12:08 pm

For what its worth this is what I wrote to my senator today. Feel free to use for yours and edit however you like.

Dear Senator Cohen,
I am a constituent of yours in the Highland Park neighborhood of Saint Paul. This morning I have read through the bonding proposal (2016 Capital Investment - SF 2839) as put forth by the senate. Many of the investments that are proposed are worthy investments in the future of the state and its infrastructure. Notably lacking from this proposal was a sustained investment in the public transit infrastructure of the region, including the state portion of funding for the Southwest Corridor Light Rail. Currently, significant commitments to this project have come from local, county and state sources of funding. Delay on funding this project during this year potentially jeopardizes the final funding agreement with the federal government and a lengthy planning and study process.
Although this project does not impact Saint Paul directly, the success of the METRO Green Line and promise of the A-line along Snelling bode well for our city and region's ability to connect people, the Southwest Light Rail also holds that promise. I would urge you to support this project's funding either through the bonding process, use of surplus money or through support of a comprehensive transit and transportation funding bill. I look forward to your hearing your response.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 2nd, 2016, 2:38 pm

If Daudt and his dimwits at the Capital think Minnesotans want blockades and obstruction, including ZERO money for rail, he's sadly mistaken. I really hope they are held firmly accountable this fall, and lose the House. It would serve them all right! Sadly, it sounds like Daudt is being mentioned for the GOP's top Gubernatorial candidate in 2018.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 2nd, 2016, 2:45 pm

Meh, I'd be happy to give up SWLRT in exchange for giving up all the other sprawl subsidies that are on today's draft omnibus bonding bill. YIKES it's bad.