Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby David Greene » July 1st, 2015, 2:07 pm

The Strib article got an update indicating that most of the gap is being covered via land donations.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 1st, 2015, 2:19 pm

Hennepin County coming up with a funding package for $38M for part of the $90M shortage.

http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts ... ns/10ce5b7
Divided by 2, I thought, because the Fed is matching 50%. I thought it came down to $17-$18M at this point.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 1st, 2015, 2:24 pm

It's pretty ridiculous that Minneapolis isn't contributing anything. The city really ought to help pay for Town Center at least, given that Penn was put back in for equity reasons.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 1st, 2015, 2:29 pm

The City is contributing a cost avoidance of rerouting freight tracks out of Kenilworth.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 1st, 2015, 2:30 pm

Hennepin County leaders announced today that they will consider a funding package worth approximately $38 million to help reduce the Southwest LRT funding gap.

The package includes a Hennepin County Regional Rail Authority (HCCRA) land contribution valued at approximately $30 million, $5 million in grants from the county’s Environment and Remediation Fund and $3 million from Hennepin County Community Works. The $30 million land contribution, already part of the project, is expected to leverage an additional $30 million in Federal Transit Authority contributions.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 1st, 2015, 3:52 pm

The City is contributing a cost avoidance of rerouting freight tracks out of Kenilworth.
I can't tell if you're serious or not (I suspect not) but we could say EP is contributing the cost avoidance of two stations and singificant trackage yet they are still pledging to give more to avoid even more cuts.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 1st, 2015, 3:56 pm

http://finance-commerce.com/2015/07/sou ... 7-billion/

Unlocked article. I felt it reported all the money stuff the best.
Finance & Commerce has really consistently good reporters. Props to Cali Owings on this one.
The MinnPost guy too (Peter something) has also been very good.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 1st, 2015, 4:05 pm

Peter Callaghan

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 1st, 2015, 4:12 pm

I saw him at Lund's a couple weeks ago
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 8th, 2015, 6:12 pm

Council's official news release on revised cuts.

http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts ... ns/10e1eaf

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » July 12th, 2015, 4:07 pm

I wonder why only lay out the infrastructure for only one of the stops being cut? I noticed They cut out a small chunk at the end. Meaning I just answered my Q. However did I miss the documents that stated the line will be extended to the original length in the future? So if that is the case why not take care of any utility relocation and or prep work to make the remaining length almost track ready.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » July 17th, 2015, 6:29 am

Why do they need structured parking at Hopkins? If you have a car you can drive to any other station. I'd rather have them build the Town Center station (although my thought is that's likely to be added back in at some point). People hate driving into (and parking) downtown, not driving a couple of extra miles to another station (the reason I'd be fine with ending the line at Golden Triangle, or ever Shady Oak).

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 17th, 2015, 7:16 am

My understanding is that:
A. the structured parking would be built as part of a joint development of some sort
B. the parking could also be used by visitors to downtown Hopkins during the evening, etc.

I think the expectation of both Hopkins leaders/planners and most of us here is that Hopkins is going to become a much more prominent destination in the future. Obviously not all of those future visitors to a much more happening Hopkins Mainstreet will come by SWLRT. Many will, but obviously not all...we're a long way from tipping that scale, even with LRT. Making Hopkins Mainstreet into an destination on the level of 50th & France (or whatever) will be an accomplishment in and of itself.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 17th, 2015, 8:58 am

District structured parking for Hopkins makes sense. Transit dollars paying for that parking doesn't make sense. Especially since the Hopkins LRT station won't really be in Downtown Hopkins... it's a stroad crossing and a few hostile blocks' walk away.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » July 17th, 2015, 10:17 am

I've been thinking about the idea to defer the Eden Prairie Town Center station. IMO, deferring this station does a disservice to low-wage workers in the retail core of EP. Those trying to get to work or shopping will have to transfer to a local bus (if SW Transit can get it together) from either the Golden Triangle or Southwest stations, which is partially defeatist to the idea of SWLRT being a boon to low-income reverse commuters.

IMHO, the Southwest Station should have been deferred, because SWT has stated it intends to continue commuter bus service, which is faster and can take advantage of bus shoulders on 169, 212, and 494 as well as the 394 HO/T lane.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 17th, 2015, 10:31 am

My guess is that the deferment is very short term -- that by the time the line opens up, that station will already have been built out using contingency funds released once major civil work is finished.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 17th, 2015, 2:54 pm

Honest question, does Southwest Transit actually have a plan (and budget) to run meaningful (15 minute all day) local service connecting stations to outlying areas?

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » July 17th, 2015, 4:55 pm

I'd imagine the service they plan to run is pretty prime.

mulad

Postby mulad » July 17th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Well, with Amazon working on a site in Shakopee...

https://streets.mn/2014/04/01/amtrak-par ... ler-delay/

PigsEye

Postby PigsEye » July 17th, 2015, 6:01 pm

Just wondering, wouldn't it be nice if they could move the powerline and fit a park and ride ramp at Flying Cloud Dr. and 494? Maybe there is not enough space for a parking ramp and a transit station? I guess drivers will eventually be able to find the ramp either way.