MSP Airport

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7859
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: MSP Airport

Postby mattaudio » December 4th, 2015, 8:12 pm

Very cool. You can actually see the first of the North Central Airlines hangars on the far right side of the photo. This was torn down within the last decade. It looked like this:
Image

(The Northwest HQ/hangars were on 34th Ave S where the Delta buildings now are. Of course, North Central (Herman the Duck) merged into Republic which then merged into Northwest in the 80s.

You can also see the old "Bloomington Road" alignment next to it, which is now Labelle Drive through the national cemetery. This was the original Fort Road/Ft. Snelling - Bloomington link before Hwy 5 was built.

Also interesting to see the old alignment of terminals/hangars on 34th Ave. The control tower is still there, as are a few other structures. But they've been very aggressive about tearing down old structures there over the past few years. I'm not sure if the Zantop Airlines hangar is still there, but it was up until a couple years ago.

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 145
Joined: September 11th, 2014, 11:43 am
Location: Waconia

Re: MSP Airport

Postby SteveXC500 » December 7th, 2015, 11:17 am

Southwest extends its schedule to August, tomorrow. A prediction (rumor) from A.net is that MSP will pick up a Dallas Love Field flight to coincide with the newly added BWI flights. I found this as part of a thread discussing a new destination from Burbank, being announced tomorrow.

Here is the quote:
"I predict it will be connected to the newly added BWI-MSP flight.
Because mid day in MSP currently WN has a aircraft sitting for 5hours.
So I see BUR getting a 7AM BUR-DAL-MSP-BWI flight.
And the same flight originating in BWI-MSP-DAL-BUR."
Thoughts?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1553
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Re: MSP Airport

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 8th, 2015, 10:25 am

SteveXC500 wrote:Southwest extends its schedule to August, tomorrow. A prediction (rumor) from A.net is that MSP will pick up a Dallas Love Field flight to coincide with the newly added BWI flights. I found this as part of a thread discussing a new destination from Burbank, being announced tomorrow.

Here is the quote:
"I predict it will be connected to the newly added BWI-MSP flight.
Because mid day in MSP currently WN has a aircraft sitting for 5hours.
So I see BUR getting a 7AM BUR-DAL-MSP-BWI flight.
And the same flight originating in BWI-MSP-DAL-BUR."
Thoughts?
Sadly, I don't see any direct MSP to DAL flights on their website today. :(

maxbaby
Landmark Center
Posts: 274
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 6:39 pm
Location: Woodbury, MN

Re: MSP Airport

Postby maxbaby » December 8th, 2015, 10:57 am

MSP didn't pick up any new SWA routes.....JERKS!

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 145
Joined: September 11th, 2014, 11:43 am
Location: Waconia

Re: MSP Airport

Postby SteveXC500 » December 8th, 2015, 6:21 pm

I saw that too. Nothing new, but up to 27 departures in June now!
However, in April/May, the BWI flight arriving at 12:25 will sit for four hours. In June, the times were adjusted to have the plane arriving later and turning back to BWI. So it's still a mystery if SW will truly keep the plane here for four hours or if an announcement is coming soon on a city to fill that down time.

Didier
Capella Tower
Posts: 2414
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 10:11 am
Location: MSP

Re: MSP Airport

Postby Didier » December 9th, 2015, 12:30 pm

Was there ever any clarity for why Lindbergh Terminal is dropping Surdyks Flights? Having breakfast at the Humphrey version this morning I was reminded how great of an airport restaurant it is.

BoredAgain
Landmark Center
Posts: 243
Joined: July 3rd, 2014, 1:38 pm
Location: Lyndale Neighborhood

Re: MSP Airport

Postby BoredAgain » December 9th, 2015, 12:35 pm

Didier wrote:Was there ever any clarity for why Lindbergh Terminal is dropping Surdyks Flights? Having breakfast at the Humphrey version this morning I was reminded how great of an airport restaurant it is.
They applied for a larger space instead of the one they are in, but didn't win. They were betting on moving, so they didn't reapply for their existing space.

Online
seanrichardryan
Capella Tower
Posts: 3921
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Merriam Park, St. Paul
Contact:

Re: MSP Airport

Postby seanrichardryan » December 9th, 2015, 8:27 pm

What? NO. this ruins the airport.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Online
User avatar
Nathan
Capella Tower
Posts: 3999
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 10:42 am

Re: MSP Airport

Postby Nathan » December 10th, 2015, 7:58 am

Totally. It's THE ONLY place to go at msp.

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 109
Joined: July 24th, 2015, 11:15 am

Re: MSP Airport

Postby KML_1981 » December 10th, 2015, 9:42 am

mattaudio wrote:
Very cool. You can actually see the first of the North Central Airlines hangars on the far right side of the photo. This was torn down within the last decade. It looked like this:
Image

(The Northwest HQ/hangars were on 34th Ave S where the Delta buildings now are. Of course, North Central (Herman the Duck) merged into Republic which then merged into Northwest in the 80s.

You can also see the old "Bloomington Road" alignment next to it, which is now Labelle Drive through the national cemetery. This was the original Fort Road/Ft. Snelling - Bloomington link before Hwy 5 was built.

Also interesting to see the old alignment of terminals/hangars on 34th Ave. The control tower is still there, as are a few other structures. But they've been very aggressive about tearing down old structures there over the past few years. I'm not sure if the Zantop Airlines hangar is still there, but it was up until a couple years ago.
LOL! That picture looks like something from North Korea.

maxbaby
Landmark Center
Posts: 274
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 6:39 pm
Location: Woodbury, MN

Re: MSP Airport

Postby maxbaby » December 13th, 2015, 3:47 pm

Looks like American will begin 3 flights a day to Washington DC (DCA) starting in April.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7859
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: MSP Airport

Postby mattaudio » December 13th, 2015, 5:55 pm

Glad AA is back on the LGA and DCA routes. US Airways had some super cheap DCA flights from here before the route was canceled a year or two ago.

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 145
Joined: September 11th, 2014, 11:43 am
Location: Waconia

Re: MSP Airport

Postby SteveXC500 » December 14th, 2015, 8:11 am

7:15 and 10:50 departures are E175 aircraft and the 17:45 is E170. I believe US flew with E170. Good to see this route coming back with a carrier other than Delta. Sun Country flies to DCA as well. Throw in the fact Southwest just added two dailies to BWI and the MSP-DC routes are getting competitive.

maxbaby
Landmark Center
Posts: 274
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 6:39 pm
Location: Woodbury, MN

Re: MSP Airport

Postby maxbaby » December 17th, 2015, 12:57 pm

New Spirit routes announced:
Atlanta on April 14th
Boston on April 28th (Seasonal)
Philadelphia on April 14th (Seasonal)

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1531
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 10:41 am

Re: MSP Airport

Postby talindsay » December 17th, 2015, 7:01 pm

They're introducing Boston service a week *AFTER* the Boston Marathon? Clearly they haven't done their homework.

Chauncey87
Landmark Center
Posts: 200
Joined: August 20th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Re: MSP Airport

Postby Chauncey87 » December 18th, 2015, 5:15 am

Big week ahead for airfreight at MSP! If your into large cargo jets now is your chance to come to the new mid field viewing area just after 1700 till 1920 to see two MD 10's, two-three B757's, one MD 11, two B767's, one A310, and one B747. This is just for the PM sort times. AM flight ops I do not really put to much focus on. FedEx, UPS, DHL, and Atlas Air (B747-400) operated by UPS will be bringing you some good photos. If your more interested in take off then the times for a majority of what I just listed is between 2030 and 2200. The B747 took off tonight around 2250. Just a heads up the viewing area might have hours it is open to the public. I took a video of the of the B747 last night as it was taxing to take off on runway 12R-30L.

Just a disclaimer there are a lot of flights coming in and out. If I forgot to to add a cargo flight then feel free add to the list or if somebody wanted to post the AM cargo flight times then by all means. I also did not post all the feeder fights there are just so many.

Just checked the flight times for this AM and a B747-400 is coming in around 0549, that flight is running late is should have landed at 0453. So it seems two daily B747 from SDF.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower
Posts: 3785
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 6:59 am

Re: MSP Airport

Postby Wedgeguy » December 18th, 2015, 7:00 am

talindsay wrote:They're introducing Boston service a week *AFTER* the Boston Marathon? Clearly they haven't done their homework.
That may have more to do with the Boston Airport Authority than the airline for what date they get to start.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1553
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Re: MSP Airport

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 18th, 2015, 8:35 am

Chauncey87 wrote:Big week ahead for airfreight at MSP! If you're into large cargo jets now is your chance to come to the new mid field viewing area just after 1700 till 1920 to see two MD 10's, two-three B757's, one MD 11, two B767's, one A310, and one B747. This is just for the PM sort times. AM flight ops I do not really put too much focus on. FedEx, UPS, DHL, and Atlas Air (B747-400) operated by UPS will be bringing you some good photos. If you’re more interested in takeoff then the times for a majority of what I just listed is between 2030 and 2200. The B747 took off tonight around 2250. Just a heads up the viewing area might have hours it is open to the public. I took a video of the of the B747 last night as it was taxing to take off on runway 12R-30L.

Just a disclaimer there are a lot of flights coming in and out. If I forgot to add a cargo flight then feel free add to the list or if somebody wanted to post the AM cargo flight times then by all means. I also did not post all the feeder fights there are just so many.

Just checked the flight times for this AM and a B747-400 is coming in around 0549, that flight is running late is should have landed at 0453. So it seems two daily B747 from SDF.

JT$
City Center
Posts: 33
Joined: July 14th, 2012, 5:12 pm

Re: MSP Airport

Postby JT$ » December 18th, 2015, 9:22 am

HiawathaGuy wrote:
Chauncey87 wrote:Big week ahead for airfreight at MSP! If you're into large cargo jets now is your chance to come to the new mid field viewing area just after 1700 till 1920 to see two MD 10's, two-three B757's, one MD 11, two B767's, one A310, and one B747. This is just for the PM sort times. AM flight ops I do not really put too much focus on. FedEx, UPS, DHL, and Atlas Air (B747-400) operated by UPS will be bringing you some good photos. If you’re more interested in takeoff then the times for a majority of what I just listed is between 2030 and 2200. The B747 took off tonight around 2250. Just a heads up the viewing area might have hours it is open to the public. I took a video of the of the B747 last night as it was taxing to take off on runway 12R-30L.

Just a disclaimer there are a lot of flights coming in and out. If I forgot to add a cargo flight then feel free add to the list or if somebody wanted to post the AM cargo flight times then by all means. I also did not post all the feeder fights there are just so many.

Just checked the flight times for this AM and a B747-400 is coming in around 0549, that flight is running late is should have landed at 0453. So it seems two daily B747 from SDF.
I used to work on the ramp at UPS many years ago and was always amazed when we would get the 747 in for peak season, just dwarfed our other aircraft.

Chauncey87
Landmark Center
Posts: 200
Joined: August 20th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Re: MSP Airport

Postby Chauncey87 » December 18th, 2015, 11:57 pm

Just an FYI Monday and Tuesday should be heavy volume for airfreight. Then somewhat of a drop on Wednesday. Then peak will be pretty much over. The cycle then starts over.


Return to “Transportation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests