MSP Airport

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
dajazz
City Center
Posts: 39
Joined: May 12th, 2016, 8:11 am

Re: MSP Airport

Postby dajazz » January 6th, 2017, 9:40 am

MNdible wrote:Orlando and Vegas are both served by a lot of terrible low cost airlines (including weekly seasonal direct service form small Minnesota markets), so I can see why Southwest wouldn't want to waste their time and money getting beat up on those routes.

I still really wish we could get the Houston or Dallas non-stops, because that would unlock a lot of great connections. But Nashville is a good add, so happy with that.
Just to clarify, Southwest has offered seasonal non-stop service to Orlando, and they will be offering seasonal non-stop flights to Vegas starting this March.

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 130
Joined: September 11th, 2014, 11:43 am
Location: Waconia

Re: MSP Airport

Postby SteveXC500 » January 6th, 2017, 9:47 am

dajazz wrote:
Just to clarify, Southwest has offered seasonal non-stop service to Orlando, and they will be offering seasonal non-stop flights to Vegas starting this March.
Correct. Southwest flies seasonally to Tampa, Ft. Myers, Orlando, and Fort Lauderdale. LAS is seasonal March/April (ending 4/24). Short, but I am guessing they bring LAS on year round sooner, rather than later.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7177
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: MSP Airport

Postby mattaudio » January 6th, 2017, 10:02 am

The biggest holes are DAL and HOU. DAL has good access to the south and southwest, and HOU has good access to the Carribean/Mexico. Cmon Southwest!

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 130
Joined: September 11th, 2014, 11:43 am
Location: Waconia

Re: MSP Airport

Postby SteveXC500 » January 6th, 2017, 11:31 am

FLL would be an alternative to HOU after FLL opens the new International Terminal for Southwest. Similar access to Caribbean.

at40man
Union Depot
Posts: 364
Joined: January 3rd, 2013, 6:49 pm
Location: The Saintly City

Re: MSP Airport

Postby at40man » January 9th, 2017, 3:59 pm

MNdible wrote:People flying out of T2 won't be able to afford to stay at the hotel. Problem solved.

But seriously, the post office is in the way so they can't extend the tram all of the way to the hotel unless it's demolished.
I've seen a few disparaging comments about the airlines in T2 and the "people in T2". They probably weren't meant harshly, but they do rub me the wrong way.

I'll put it out there right now that the smaller regional airlines often can outshine the national carriers with aplomb. I ALWAYS opt to take Sun Country over Delta when their destinations overlap. It doesn't mean I can't afford Delta, it means that I think SunCountry offers better service, nicer/newer planes, better fares, and a more pleasant overall experience. Plus, I like the fact that T2 is smaller and easy-to-navigate.

thom
Block E
Posts: 5
Joined: November 5th, 2015, 3:15 pm

Re: MSP Airport

Postby thom » January 9th, 2017, 4:05 pm

at40man wrote:
MNdible wrote:People flying out of T2 won't be able to afford to stay at the hotel. Problem solved.

But seriously, the post office is in the way so they can't extend the tram all of the way to the hotel unless it's demolished.
I've seen a few disparaging comments about the airlines in T2 and the "people in T2". They probably weren't meant harshly, but they do rub me the wrong way.

I'll put it out there right now that the smaller regional airlines often can outshine the national carriers with aplomb. I ALWAYS opt to take Sun Country over Delta when their destinations overlap. It doesn't mean I can't afford Delta, it means that I think SunCountry offers better service, nicer/newer planes, better fares, and a more pleasant overall experience. Plus, I like the fact that T2 is smaller and easy-to-navigate.
Terminal 2 is a lot more fun to fly out of. Go into an airport bar in Terminal One to find a bunch of tired business travelers staring into their cell phones. Go into an airport bar in Terminal Two and you'll find a bunch of happy travelers getting ready to leave for an awesome vacation somewhere.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower
Posts: 3039
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 9:19 am

Re: MSP Airport

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 9th, 2017, 4:17 pm

thom wrote:
at40man wrote:
MNdible wrote:People flying out of T2 won't be able to afford to stay at the hotel. Problem solved.

But seriously, the post office is in the way so they can't extend the tram all of the way to the hotel unless it's demolished.
I've seen a few disparaging comments about the airlines in T2 and the "people in T2". They probably weren't meant harshly, but they do rub me the wrong way.

I'll put it out there right now that the smaller regional airlines often can outshine the national carriers with aplomb. I ALWAYS opt to take Sun Country over Delta when their destinations overlap. It doesn't mean I can't afford Delta, it means that I think SunCountry offers better service, nicer/newer planes, better fares, and a more pleasant overall experience. Plus, I like the fact that T2 is smaller and easy-to-navigate.
Terminal 2 is a lot more fun to fly out of. Go into an airport bar in Terminal One to find a bunch of tired business travelers staring into their cell phones. Go into an airport bar in Terminal Two and you'll find a bunch of happy travelers getting ready to leave for an awesome vacation somewhere.
Strange how perceptions are so different....I find Terminal 2 far more boring than Terminal 1.

User avatar
FISHMANPET
IDS Center
Posts: 4420
Joined: June 6th, 2012, 2:19 pm
Location: Corcoran

Re: MSP Airport

Postby FISHMANPET » January 9th, 2017, 4:22 pm

T1 has more, but more is not always better.
Peter Bajurny
peter@bajurny.us
@FISHMANPET
612-208-6618

MNdible
is great.
Posts: 4966
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: MSP Airport

Postby MNdible » January 9th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Just a joke, people. Just a joke.

User avatar
FISHMANPET
IDS Center
Posts: 4420
Joined: June 6th, 2012, 2:19 pm
Location: Corcoran

Re: MSP Airport

Postby FISHMANPET » January 9th, 2017, 4:59 pm

Also, Sun Country air isn't much cheaper than Delta (at least to DCA, every time I look). Also Spirit is at T1 so how about that.
Peter Bajurny
peter@bajurny.us
@FISHMANPET
612-208-6618

DanPatchToget
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 143
Joined: March 30th, 2016, 1:26 pm

Re: MSP Airport

Postby DanPatchToget » January 9th, 2017, 5:16 pm

Although Spirit did start out in Terminal 2.

I fly Sun Country just because its usually cheaper than Delta, plus now I have a UFly membership so I have more incentive to fly them.

Didier
Capella Tower
Posts: 2206
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 10:11 am
Location: MSP

Re: MSP Airport

Postby Didier » January 9th, 2017, 6:09 pm

Should we ban MNdible for his coastal elitism?

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1457
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 10:41 am

Re: MSP Airport

Postby talindsay » January 10th, 2017, 8:27 am

I love terminal 2. Sure it's small, but it's got Barrio, and Icelandair operates there. Also, I work in the public sector, and despite the rantings of the right wing, we don't have the money to spend that corporations do so we fly on T or V fares, pick the cheapest flights we can find, non-refundable, and aren't allowed to take the frequent flyer perks. So we public sector employees often fly out of the "poor people" terminal, which suits me fine.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7177
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: MSP Airport

Postby mattaudio » January 10th, 2017, 10:24 am

Wait how does an employer keep you from getting frequent flyer miles from your work flights? Wowww.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 784
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 10:30 am

Re: MSP Airport

Postby VAStationDude » January 10th, 2017, 10:31 am

State law prohibits public employees receiving frequent flyer miles.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7177
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: MSP Airport

Postby mattaudio » January 10th, 2017, 10:31 am

How do you *not* receive frequent flyer miles? Is that even an option?

Silophant
Moderator
Posts: 2742
Joined: June 20th, 2012, 4:33 pm
Location: 9Marq

Re: MSP Airport

Postby Silophant » January 10th, 2017, 10:36 am

I suppose if you don't give them your account info or whatever, they have no way to assign them to you.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1103
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 12:50 pm

Re: MSP Airport

Postby amiller92 » January 10th, 2017, 10:44 am

min-chi-cbus wrote: Strange how perceptions are so different....I find Terminal 2 far more boring than Terminal 1.
It's way more boring, but if it's your origin or destination it's way more convenient than T1. You just don't want a long layover there.

MattW
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 182
Joined: June 13th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Re: MSP Airport

Postby MattW » January 10th, 2017, 10:59 am

mattaudio wrote:Wait how does an employer keep you from getting frequent flyer miles from your work flights? Wowww.

It's not uncommon. Many companies have it written into contracts with the airlines that ff miles get diverted to the purchaser (the company). The company then uses this money for more flight purchases. It does not prevent you from getting status with the airline.

Target does this with their employees.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower
Posts: 2534
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 4:31 pm

Re: MSP Airport

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 10th, 2017, 11:06 am

^^ The State of MN doesn't even allow status. You cannot give the airline your ff account. Same for hotels, etc.


Return to “Transportation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest