Bottineau LRT (Blue Line Extension)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Bottineau LRT

Postby Nick » June 12th, 2012, 11:40 am

Wedgeguy wrote:People are moving back into the urban area. Any politican that does not support transist will be voted out very fast. The writing is on the wall for getting the most bang for the buck with the number of people they can transport. One has to look at the future and not just what is happening today. We are right now in a dark ages period of small short sites stupid thinkers, instead of those leaders that gave us many great amenitys.
Protip, probably avoid calling other people stupid in a post with that many grammar/spelling errors.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 13th, 2012, 6:37 am

I'll call the small minded politicans what they are. Facts are facts!

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » June 21st, 2012, 10:13 am

From the Strib:
The Golden Valley City Council has voted against routing the proposed Bottineau Transitway through the city, becoming the first city affected by the project to oppose the preferred route.
I agreed with Golden Valley's last LRT related vote, a few decades ago, in which they rejected the construction of 394 in favor of a light rail line similar to the Southwest line proposed today (only not as long, since without quality transit to draw development to existing areas the city has sprawled dramatically.

I also agree with this current vote. It is a bad idea to route higher-capacity transit through parkland for 3 miles, in part because of the degradation of the parkland, but moreso because that just guarantees you'll have 3 miles of unproductive transit. In the TCRT days, Minnehaha Falls, Wirth Park, and the various lakes were big trip generators, but not so today. Ask Dallas, you can build as many miles of LRT as you want, but you won't get riders unless you hit the big destinations. By skipping West Broadway and North Memorial, Bottineau is going to be a weak link in the Metro's LRT network.
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 21st, 2012, 10:57 am

Re: ridership, North Memorial, and Terrace Center, why wouldn't they put in a stop just south of N 36th Avenue as part of the D1 route?

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » June 21st, 2012, 11:16 am

MNdible wrote:Re: ridership, North Memorial, and Terrace Center, why wouldn't they put in a stop just south of N 36th Avenue as part of the D1 route?
I don't know why they're not planning one there, but even if they did the closest they could get to North Memorial is a half mile.
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 21st, 2012, 11:29 am

redisciple wrote:I don't know why they're not planning one there, but even if they did the closest they could get to North Memorial is a half mile.
Yeah, it certainly doesn't solve the North Memorial problem, but they might be able to run a shuttle from the station. But there's a large apartment complex right there, and it would be quite close to the Terrace Center, which seems to remain a good opportunity for redevelopment should a station be located three blocks away.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » June 21st, 2012, 12:37 pm

Can't run it up Penn Ave, can't run it through GV-- doesn't that mean that light rail on the Bottineau Corridor is effectively dead, or....?

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » June 21st, 2012, 11:07 pm

If we can't get the Southwest line going, with all the moneyed-support for it, I don't see how we'll ever come close to getting the Bottineau line going with the political mess that any of it's routings will be.

mpls_tc
Block E

Postby mpls_tc » June 21st, 2012, 11:59 pm

so they want to skip north minneapolis? by taking what route?

mulad

Postby mulad » June 22nd, 2012, 7:28 am

Some maps of the possible alignments are here, though detail is lacking for the northern A, B, and C segments:

http://bottineautransitway.org/library/ ... nments.htm

If they use the D1 alignment (which looks very likely at this point), it'd run west on Olson Memorial Boulevard and then turn north in the BNSF rail corridor just east of Theodore Wirth Park. Parts of it will be highway-adjacent much like the Hiawatha Line, though the heavy-rail tracks will be on the same side of the highway as the light-rail tracks (as opposed to Hiawatha where Minnesota Commercial operates on the other side).

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » June 22nd, 2012, 11:31 am

I'm starting to think that the ridership for this just-might-maybe not justify grants from the feds, but I don't know...

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » July 22nd, 2012, 7:01 pm

Looks like Bottineau is getting one of those Met Council style maps.

MSPtoMKE
Target Field

Postby MSPtoMKE » July 22nd, 2012, 7:34 pm

This is pretty off topic, but I am hoping with either the opening of the Red Line or the Green Line, Metro Transit takes the opportunity to change their cartography in conjunction with the Metro rebranding. I really don't like those big rectangles for stations, and how they are rotated haphazardly. The bus system map could use a refresher as well.
My flickr photos.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 22nd, 2012, 9:18 pm

MSPtoMKE wrote:This is pretty off topic, but I am hoping with either the opening of the Red Line or the Green Line, Metro Transit takes the opportunity to change their cartography in conjunction with the Metro rebranding. I really don't like those big rectangles for stations, and how they are rotated haphazardly. The bus system map could use a refresher as well.
Shoot, while they're at it I wish they could go back and change the naming system altogether (I favored naming each line after a prominent city or regional lake -- "Calhoun", "Harriet", "Nakomis", "Como", "Minnetonka" -- although that last one would really trip up tourists and out-of-town business people!).

MSPtoMKE
Target Field

Postby MSPtoMKE » July 22nd, 2012, 10:09 pm

Except that would strongly suggest that the line serves or more likely ends at that lake or city. That would be very confusing. We shouldn't name lines for novelty's sake, we should name them for ease of wayfinding. Hiawatha sort of worked because it went along Hiawatha Ave, but it really isn't sustainable to keep naming lines like that. Especially when two distinct routes are through-routed into one line.
My flickr photos.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » July 30th, 2012, 9:25 am

Looks like the TPP amendment process is underway for the inclusion of LRT on the chosen alignment.

http://councilmeetings.metc.state.mn.us ... ridors.pdf

mulad

Postby mulad » August 12th, 2012, 10:52 pm

Tcmetro wrote:Looks like Bottineau is getting one of those Met Council style maps.

Hmm. Rather than running up past MN-610 to empty land, they should really try to have the line terminate as close as possible to Osseo's Central Avenue, a traditional small-town main street along the historical Jefferson Highway. The current routing along Broadway Avenue takes it through a car-oriented big-box area with curvilinear streets that aren't very well-connected. I would have suggested that they just keep the LRT in the existing rail corridor all the way to Osseo, but it does look like there are some big traffic generators along Broadway including North Hennepin Community College.

Should the line turn west at 93rd Avenue (CR 30)? Seems like there's a fairly natural termination spot right in front of the St. Vincent De Paul Catholic Church which could probably fit some LRT platforms without even impinging on their parking lot (though that might actually be wetland).

Neptune
City Center

Re: Bottineau Corridor (Blue Line Extension)

Postby Neptune » September 19th, 2012, 10:51 pm

http://finance-commerce.com/2012/09/bot ... -up-again/

"Plans to bring a light-rail transit line from Minneapolis to Brooklyn Park continue to be held up by concerns from Golden Valley council members who aren’t convinced the tracks should run through their community.... The setback is another blow to supporters of the project who fear delays will jeopardize plans to bring the line into service in 2019, and that every year the project is delayed will add an estimated $40 million in project costs, making it increasingly difficult to win critical federal support."

:roll:

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Re: Bottineau Corridor (Blue Line Extension)

Postby Andrew_F » September 20th, 2012, 3:26 am

Why isn't this line ending at Brooklyn Blvd? That's right about where density take a nose-dive, dropping from 4-6k to 1-1.5k. Seems like a waste to me.

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » September 20th, 2012, 12:50 pm

MSPtoMKE wrote:Except that would strongly suggest that the line serves or more likely ends at that lake or city. That would be very confusing. We shouldn't name lines for novelty's sake, we should name them for ease of wayfinding. Hiawatha sort of worked because it went along Hiawatha Ave, but it really isn't sustainable to keep naming lines like that. Especially when two distinct routes are through-routed into one line.
this is one reason for the change to colors. it would be confusing to take the train on central corridor that doesn't go on central ave.

Return to “Transportation”