Interstate 94

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Interstate 94

Postby amiller92 » February 5th, 2019, 2:12 pm

Yup, the one place where there are incentives to not drive (express routes, parking prices, congestion), people respond and do something else.

For everything else it's easier and cheaper to drive.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 5th, 2019, 3:41 pm

In my experience, getting off a congested interstate to try to save time on city streets is almost always a losing proposition.

tmart
Union Depot

Postby tmart » February 5th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Didier wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 3:41 pm
In my experience, getting off a congested interstate to try to save time on city streets is almost always a losing proposition.
Getting off the interstate, perhaps--because a ton of time gets eaten up on on/off-ramps, and getting to/from whatever other arterial street you end up using. What about not getting on the interstate in the first place?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 5th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Typically if 35W is backed up I've found city streets to be equally so. And you always think it'll be faster to take some back road, but then you wait 10 minutes to get through a stoplight or four-way stop.

I hate sitting in stop and go freeway traffic, but it's really never faster to try to bypass 94 traffic on University or Franklin/Riverside, for example. There's always one light that kills you.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » February 5th, 2019, 6:40 pm

We’ve normalized driving 10, 20, 30 miles.

These are called interstates for a reason.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 6th, 2019, 10:05 am

Didier wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 6:31 pm
Typically if 35W is backed up I've found city streets to be equally so. And you always think it'll be faster to take some back road, but then you wait 10 minutes to get through a stoplight or four-way stop.
Depends on the street. And that stoplight or four-way stop is almost certain where you meet freeway traffic.
I hate sitting in stop and go freeway traffic, but it's really never faster to try to bypass 94 traffic on University or Franklin/Riverside, for example. There's always one light that kills you.
Yeah, it's not faster, but it might be more pleasant and not all that much slower.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 12th, 2019, 2:03 pm

I know the convo is getting a bit stale here, but I’m just getting through threads from the last couple weeks, and this one stood out because of all of the recent weather-related traffic issues.

Regarding driving on 94/35W for intracity travel: While it might be worth examining the worthiness of these routes in the long term, there’s obviously a reason people use them – they’re significantly quicker even during peak travel times than city streets. I vastly prefer driving on city streets just because of the views, but my work commute is a pretty stark contrast on speeds getting around the city. I live within a few blocks of the Lyndale entrance to 94 and work in DT St. Paul just off the 5th Street exit. It is so incredibly rare that any route is competitive with the highway—it’s frequently double the time, even without traffic.

Sometimes a crash or event in downtown Minneapolis will route me off 94 at 280 to take Franklin home in the evenings. I’ve had a handful of AM crashes that forced me off at Snelling. The only time I’ve ever completely avoided 94 was last week during the snow storm. Taking Grand from downtown to St. Thomas, then Cretin (?) to Mississippi River Blvd to Franklin took 2 hours…94 was 50 minutes longer than that. But that’s an aberration.

If anything, though, 94 could use a diet. There’s just never real backups in either direction from 280 to DT St. Paul. It could probably survive with two general traffic lanes and a transit/HOV lane (no need for the appearing and disappearing lanes along here).

Return to “Transportation”