Bike Share

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
twinkess
Target Field

Re: Nice Ride Minnesota

Postby twinkess » July 12th, 2015, 10:37 am

Wife and I use it to get to DT Lunds from Skyscape and back every Saturday. Fun, if a bit scary on Grant St between Portland and 4th Ave https://www.google.com/maps/@44.969973, ... 312!8i6656

mulad

Postby mulad » July 12th, 2015, 12:23 pm

So, why aren't we having this conversation about Car2Go?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 12th, 2015, 12:53 pm

Nice Ride has a lot more control over where their service is available than Car2go does.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » July 13th, 2015, 7:39 am

And I'd echo the NiceRide reps comments: for the cost of an annual pass, you can get a serviceable used bike that will be lighter and maybe have other features that you'd want in a commuter.
I think it's tough to find a used bike for $65. Craigslist might have one or two, but they are liable to need lots of work. More realistic is $100, plus $40 for a bike lock. And $35 (low-end) for annual tuning, parts, tires, etc. And Nice Ride has many advantages over those. You don't need to carry a bike lock, or have the chance of a stolen bike at all. They exist wherever you are (ideally anyway) instead of locked in your garage at home. I have a MetroPass, so between the bus, rail and bikes, I could move around by multiple modes most places in the city. Except there isn't a NiceRide at 38th & Nicollet, despite many amenities and being under a mile from other stations.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 13th, 2015, 9:39 am

I think we're mostly arguing at cross purposes here. 38th and Nicollet is certainly a prime location for a NiceRide station, and I'd bet it will be included in the very next roll-out of service. But that's a far cry from wailing that every resident of sparsely populated South Minneapolis is entitled to have easy access to a NiceRide bike so they can commute to work.

A system like NiceRide works well when the planners can effectively balance their budget constraints to expand the system smartly to where people are most likely to want to use it. These would be activity centers, transit centers, recreation centers, commercial centers, etc.

Servicing daily commuters would just be a big resource suck for them -- these folks would pay $65 a year, and then use the bikes every single day for free, emptying out the outlying stations of bikes until they come home in the evening. How in the world is that usage filling a greater common good? Why (aside from maybe padding their stats) is that something that NiceRide would be interested in subsidizing?

If that's how you're planning on using a bike, you really ought to buy a bike. And it might cost you a bit more than $65, but I think if it's your primary means of transportation, you can probably cope.

PigsEye

Postby PigsEye » July 13th, 2015, 1:03 pm

I saw somebody riding the orange Nice Ride bike in Loring park the other day! Thought that was kind cool. I also think the potential value of Nice Ride Minnesota is not quite realized just yet. Ideally when we get out rail network built out it would be awesome to be able to take a train to St. Cloud, Duluth, Rochester, and Hudson (ok via a Gold line Bus) and be able to hop onto a Nice Ride bike and be able to bike to destinations. Minnesota bike sharing could be expanded to being something really huge in 10 or 20 years could it not? Granted other cities like Rochester would have to workout partnerships to sharing members but i'm sure deals could be worked out right?

That's the value of Nice Ride over having your own personal bike. Being able to travel anywhere in state (and near areas such as Superior, and Hudson) without having to lug your bike on a train or bus. I'm sure these packages would cost more but I think people would be willing to pay more for the extra service. Heck, even in 20 years could we see national bike sharing partnerships? For example you purchase your bike sharing city at $50 a month and can select another visiting city for another $20 and another two more cities for $10 each? If this national high speed rail network is every build lets say by 2040, riders could travel from Minneapolis to Chicago, New York, Omaha, and other places and be able to get around on a bike still, use an app to find station locations and not have to worry about learning the bus schedule. It sure is a concept of transit that would eliminate most of the need for the old car and freeway system that was for the generation of the past. I think bike sharing with public transit could be the next best thing.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » July 13th, 2015, 1:57 pm

Heck, even in 20 years could we see national bike sharing partnerships? For example you purchase your bike sharing city at $50 a month and can select another visiting city for another $20 and another two more cities for $10 each? If this national high speed rail network is every build lets say by 2040, riders could travel from Minneapolis to Chicago, New York, Omaha, and other places and be able to get around on a bike still, use an app to find station locations and not have to worry about learning the bus schedule. It sure is a concept of transit that would eliminate most of the need for the old car and freeway system that was for the generation of the past. I think bike sharing with public transit could be the next best thing.
This would be amazing.
Servicing daily commuters would just be a big resource suck for them -- these folks would pay $65 a year, and then use the bikes every single day for free, emptying out the outlying stations of bikes until they come home in the evening. How in the world is that usage filling a greater common good? Why (aside from maybe padding their stats) is that something that NiceRide would be interested in subsidizing?

If that's how you're planning on using a bike, you really ought to buy a bike. And it might cost you a bit more than $65, but I think if it's your primary means of transportation, you can probably cope.
I know we're not really arguing the same thing anymore, but I just wanted to add that I own a bike (and commute 4 days a week on it) and if the system extended further into residential areas, I would get a year pass on top of my owning a bike. Then I could use it and the transit system for getting around even if I didn't leave home in the morning with my bike.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 13th, 2015, 2:03 pm

I work by the TCF Bank Stadium and if I dont bike to work I take the train. Dinkytown is a 15-20 minute walk but a 5-10 minute bike ride. There's a Nice Ride Station really close to my office, you do the math.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 13th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Yes, that's exactly the kind of short, last mile, convenience trip that the system really excels at servicing.

dbaur31
City Center

Postby dbaur31 » July 13th, 2015, 2:17 pm

Heck, even in 20 years could we see national bike sharing partnerships? For example you purchase your bike sharing city at $50 a month and can select another visiting city for another $20 and another two more cities for $10 each?
Since the launch of NiceRide, I've been to Toronto, New York, Chicago, Boston and Columbus, all of which use the Bixi system we have here. On every one of those trips I've wished I could just pop in my key and go. I understand why it doesn't work that way now, but I've got to believe it will at some point. Even Hourcar has "roaming" relationships with car share services in other places.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 13th, 2015, 2:43 pm

Lol, someone just brought their bike to a meeting with someone in my office, except on her way I out I got to see the bike, and it's... a Nice Ride. So instead of docking a quarter mile down the street she lugged that massive thing into the elevator int the 4th floor.

PigsEye

Postby PigsEye » July 13th, 2015, 3:09 pm

Heck, even in 20 years could we see national bike sharing partnerships? For example you purchase your bike sharing city at $50 a month and can select another visiting city for another $20 and another two more cities for $10 each?
Since the launch of NiceRide, I've been to Toronto, New York, Chicago, Boston and Columbus, all of which use the Bixi system we have here. On every one of those trips I've wished I could just pop in my key and go. I understand why it doesn't work that way now, but I've got to believe it will at some point. Even Hourcar has "roaming" relationships with car share services in other places.
YES! considering so many of the systems us the same type of station and bike it would be so easy for riders to feel comfortable going to a new city and depending on the bike stations given they would be for the most part the same style and the same style of bike too! The technology is still very new, plus it's still a pretty new concept of bike sharing. Working together to figure out a pay structure would be in the better benefit for all networks.

Let's say for example Chicago agreed to work with Twincities and they both agreed to hold another responsible for having a credit card on file and agreeing to liabilities to charge for lost or stolen bike, and agreed to a discounted rate of say $1.00-$2.00 charge per membership usage. That opens up a whole new revenue stream of visitors who may not be in town long enough to want to set up an account and go through the hassle of getting a fob key. Right now it might not be that big of a potential revenue stream but I think it has the potential for continuing to grow with more public transit connectivity. I think the only issue right now is the undependable usage amount, so having it pay per ride might be a better way to start the concept until they can track actual usage and better identify the usage rates.

Does Car2Go have that same flexibility? Can you use their cars outside of the twin cities if you signed up here? I think they have different rates but I would hope you still could given it's the same company, though maybe there is more regulation given the cars are much more expensive than bikes would be. I never even thought about being able to use a car sharing service outside of my home metro. I guess that would also be pretty neat to see that extra flexibility there too! There is a lot of potential to making a lifestyle without car ownership even more desirable if not even more convenient than owning a car. I think I also need to plan a vacation to check out those bikesharing networks for myself too!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 14th, 2015, 6:12 am

You can use car 2 go internationally!

In fact i opened a car in Amsterdama few weeks ago just to see if i could. They actually don't use the card, you do everything on your phone.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 14th, 2015, 7:54 am

Let's say for example Chicago agreed to work with Twincities and they both agreed to hold another responsible for having a credit card on file and agreeing to liabilities to charge for lost or stolen bike, and agreed to a discounted rate of say $1.00-$2.00 charge per membership usage. That opens up a whole new revenue stream of visitors who may not be in town long enough to want to set up an account and go through the hassle of getting a fob key. Right now it might not be that big of a potential revenue stream but I think it has the potential for continuing to grow with more public transit connectivity. I think the only issue right now is the undependable usage amount, so having it pay per ride might be a better way to start the concept until they can track actual usage and better identify the usage rates....

...I think I also need to plan a vacation to check out those bikesharing networks for myself too!
Have you done a 24-hour rental before? You don't need a key-fob or any account set-up (other than punching in some basic contact information at the kiosk). You then simply swipe the same credit card within the 24-hour period and it spits out a new code to unlock a bike. Takes an extra 30 seconds each trip, but whatever, you're on vacation. Considering the complex funding schemes (including private sector donations, public funding, etc.) behind each city's bike share scheme, the easy answer is that it would be way more trouble than it is worth for each bike share agency. Are there really that many people who travel so frequently that it would be "worth it" for any of the agencies involved? Why would they offer a discount? You don't get a discount on CTA fares with your Metro Transit GoTo card. You're really over-thinking this whole thing.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 14th, 2015, 8:11 am

I don't think the point is the discount. The point is an RFID fob/card (and billing regime) that is consistent between locations. I SHOULD be able to use my GoTo card to pay for CTA fares, too. I don't expect a discount, I just expect to be able to use it.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 14th, 2015, 8:21 am

And ideally, all of those cards and fobs would be replaced by an RFID chip in our credit cards.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » July 14th, 2015, 8:57 am

And ideally, all of those cards and fobs would be replaced by an RFID chip in our phones.
Fixed. :)
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 14th, 2015, 9:00 am

And ideally, all of those cards and fobs would be replaced by an RFID chip in our right hand or forehead.
This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 14th, 2015, 9:04 am

I think you mean 616.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

PigsEye

Postby PigsEye » July 14th, 2015, 9:24 am

Have you done a 24-hour rental before? You don't need a key-fob or any account set-up (other than punching in some basic contact information at the kiosk). You then simply swipe the same credit card within the 24-hour period and it spits out a new code to unlock a bike. Takes an extra 30 seconds each trip, but whatever, you're on vacation. Considering the complex funding schemes (including private sector donations, public funding, etc.) behind each city's bike share scheme, the easy answer is that it would be way more trouble than it is worth for each bike share agency. Are there really that many people who travel so frequently that it would be "worth it" for any of the agencies involved? Why would they offer a discount? You don't get a discount on CTA fares with your Metro Transit GoTo card. You're really over-thinking this whole thing.
The discount would be the difference from being a non-member to being a membership rate. Also the company would be gaining valuable data about where there visitors are coming from as well, though maybe they can pull that already with zip code requirements. I think right now with the technology being still very new I don't see it being worth the investment just yet. Let's say HSR eventually is rolled out nationwide people will have more public transit option which could encourage more non-car based transit between metropolitan area.

I like the concept of a nice ride user traveling to Chicago and being able to hop onto a Divvy bike without having to download any additional app or fill out any paperwork. As more people become members of a bikesharing program they make a great target market of course they would be in a visiting city for a limited time, yet they are the most likely to use the service because they already use it in another city! If another bike sharing program can market to them and make money off of their usage it seems like a win win as the original bike sharing program (such as Nice Ride) can also market it's partnership to show added value to the potential user.

Every year we keep asking, where will Nice Ride expand to this year? If bike sharing services continue to expand to new cities and reaches more and more urban communities, can't we expect to eventually see a need to organize that information into simpler methods? Even if there is no discount, having a streamlined system that works in multiple cities seems like a potential for another bike sharing program to encourage usage for visitors. Maybe HSR won't bring on that much more of a "transit revolution"?

As a marketing major it just seems like a great idea. You have a potential customer from Minnesota who took a HSR (or plane) Ride to downtown Chicago it seems like a great idea for Divvy to be able to be in his ear already saying "hey, hey you! Here is the nearest Divvy bike station, and your Nice Ride membership is transferable! let's RIDE!" Via a push notification on your Nice Ride app once the GPS tracker realizes you are now in Chicago! In return the same thing would happen to Divvy users visiting the Twin Cities.