7th Street Transit "Advantage" Bus Stops

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Re: 7th Street Transit "Advantage" Bus Stops

Postby mamundsen » May 2nd, 2015, 12:57 pm

Oh I see now. Yeah I read it as the yellow is the road, and the T is the bus stop placement. Probably just looks funny due to the 45 angle.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » May 2nd, 2015, 6:41 pm

I haven't been paying close attention to this so I don't know what's been made public yet. I was told last April by Metro Transit's director of transit planning that once they finished these "super happy fun advantage" bus stops, the northbound 19 would no longer stop at either side of Nicollet Mall. Like in fall/winter of 2013/14.
"Who rescued whom!"

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 14th, 2015, 8:33 am

I think they're starting work on this already at the Mayo Clinic Square blockface along 7th. Excavating a good chunk of the street along the sidewalk from the corner.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 19th, 2015, 10:14 pm

A wild curb extension appeared!

So, according to the slides posted upthread, these stations are pretty much going to be aBRT stations, with TVMs, NexTrip signs, lights, heaters, etc. Which makes sense, since the C Line and the Chicago-Fremont (D Line?)whenever they get funded, will need stops at these locations anyway. Additionally, this was apparently a pretty cheap project, as evidenced by the lack of fanfare relative to other transit improvements we've seen. Presumably, this all means that the TVMs will be the $11k version recently discussed over here, instead of the full $80k(!) LRT version. As discussed, the cheaper TVMs will not print the magnetic strips on the tickets they print, and a user who wishes to transfer to a normal bus will just show the driver the timestamp on their ticket when boarding. Until 2017, at least, normal buses are the only kind of buses that will show up at these stations. Is this a sign of Metro Transit beginning to change over to system-wide Proof of Payment? Probably not, but wouldn't it be nice?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 1st, 2015, 7:08 pm

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 1st, 2015, 10:08 pm

A wild curb extension appeared!
Btw, lol
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » July 18th, 2015, 2:14 pm

So the curb extension with a foundation has been sitting at 7th and Hennepin/1st for quite awhile now with no progress. Anyone know if this was delayed by the high bid for the A-line stations? Or was there planned to be a gap in work?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 19th, 2015, 8:41 pm

That presentation linked to a few months ago had project completion in August, including (presumably) the not-even-begun Nicollet station, so it doesn't seem to have been a planned gap. I'd guess that it was either delayed by the high bid, or that the plan was to install both shelter/TVMs at once, and it's delayed until the Nicollet station gets its foundation built. As to why that hasn't happened yet... hard to say. Depending on exactly where they plan to put it, it looks like there might be a transformer vault in the way. Metro Transit may not have correctly accounted for the (long) lead-time required for Xcel to make any required changes to it.

Or, maybe Metro Transit just doesn't really like finishing stations anymore. The new platform at the Nicollet LRT station has been in a similar half-complete stage for, what, like a year now?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » July 20th, 2015, 4:17 pm

Oh they are taking their sweet time on transit amenities for buses that go to the north side? I'm simply *shocked* at this surprising turn of events. /sarcasm

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 20th, 2015, 8:55 pm

Didn't this get financed by the end of the spring? And it stated that it would be done by fall? I mean it's not like road/transit projects that have been in the works for multiple years are kind of tying up a ton of construction workers right now. Try this: Call the project lead. It's really easy.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 20th, 2015, 9:45 pm

But bitching about everything is even easier!

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » August 7th, 2015, 12:29 pm

Well i went ahead and emailed the Minneapolis contact for the project and he got back to me impressively quickly! Anyways, here's his update on the project:

"There was a gap planned between the completion of the bump out and the installation of the shelter. The shelter delivery was scheduled 14 weeks from approval of shop drawings.
Fabricating metal parts generally have a very long lead time. Metro Transit will be adding the shelter to the foundation at Hennepin, sometime around Sept 15th based on the schedule I have.

The City of Minneapolis will begin the Transit Advantage work at Nicollet Mall when the current sanitary sewer and Center Point work is complete, approx. Sept 8th??
That work needed to be complete before we could start the Transit Advantage Project in that area."

So not too far out on the shelter now!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 25th, 2015, 8:53 am

According to the Nicollet Mall Construction Update email I just got, construction on the Nicollet portion of this project will start next week.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 14th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Emailed the City, who put me in contact with MT. Apparently, the shelters are just now being fabricated and will be ready for installation in December.

Gotta say, though, I was impressed how quickly everyone got back to me.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 14th, 2015, 4:56 pm

Pretty much the same timeline as the A Line shelters, then. Makes sense.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 14th, 2015, 4:57 pm

It's just annoying because it was originally scheduled for September.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 21st, 2015, 10:17 pm

Meanwhile, for those catching the bus on 6th...

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... -room.html
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » December 2nd, 2015, 10:03 am

Got a rider alert saying the Hennepin stop is closing for construction on the 4th. I'm guessing it's to install the shelter.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » December 2nd, 2015, 2:08 pm

So they only inconvenienced riders for six months without a proper stop at a major intersection/transfer point between some of the busiest lines in the system! Gotta love that hustle when it comes to local buses that serve mostly poorer parts of town. How long did the entire marq/2 project take?

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » December 2nd, 2015, 2:25 pm

So they only inconvenienced riders for six months without a proper stop at a major intersection/transfer point between some of the busiest lines in the system! Gotta love that hustle when it comes to local buses that serve mostly poorer parts of town. How long did the entire marq/2 project take?
I'm annoyed too. But to be fair, there was never a shelter there to begin with even before the bump out was installed. And even with that shelter area blocked off, there's probably about as much space as there was before the bump out. Plus the buses didn't have to merge anymore.