MN Highway 7

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
DanPatchToget
Rice Park

Re: MN Highway 7

Postby DanPatchToget » February 15th, 2018, 11:17 pm

Are there any improvements planned at that intersection? Grade separation or a pedestrian bridge or tunnel?

I've drove through that area multiple times and I agree, if you're going really fast you better hope there isn't a car stopped beyond the hill or prepare to test your brakes.

Anondson
Capella Tower

MN Highway 7

Postby Anondson » February 15th, 2018, 11:39 pm

There is an upcoming resurfacing of the pavement along 7. I don’t believe there is anything else planned.

In all the public hearings around Blake Road, numerous people again and again why Blake and 7 wasn’t being grade separated. The word was it would be out of the scope of the project, doing it would be expensive, and the state transportation funding has been so tight that grade separating Blake/7 and Texas/7 (they’d be done together) is far far down the MNDOT triage list to fund. Even though MNDOT would gladly bring their expertise if Saint Louis Park and Hopkins would pay for it entirely by themselves.

My fantasy is kind of a compromise, upgrade 7 from 494 to 100 to full grade separation but only if the parallel Excelsior Blvd and Minnetonka Blvd are downgraded to 30 mph city streets suitable for apartments and retail facing with on street parking with higher frequency transit. Hennepin County would hate it.
Last edited by Anondson on February 15th, 2018, 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 15th, 2018, 11:39 pm

I drive that way every day and I have the same thought going over that hill each time.

Anondson
Capella Tower

MN Highway 7

Postby Anondson » February 16th, 2018, 12:02 am

It looks like this death was due to the frustratingly long extended rush hour highway stoplight cycle on 7 at Texas pushing a teen into thinking it would be worth the risk of running across. So sad.

http://www.startribune.com/pedestrian-h ... 474245343/

I don’t have any data, but I wouldn’t be surprised that the traffic light cycle was extended for east-west traffic after the 100/7 interchange work.

Anondson
Capella Tower

Postby Anondson » May 11th, 2018, 10:34 am

Resurfacing, between Louisiana and Baker Rd., begins May 14. Runs to September.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projec ... etonkaslp/

Return to “Transportation”