Sioux Falls - East Bank redevelopment

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Sioux Falls - East Bank redevelopment

Postby Tom H. » January 9th, 2013, 10:41 am

(I know that Sioux Falls isn't technically outstate Minnesota, but it's not far from the MN border, and shares a lot of cultural similarities with MN, kind of like Fargo. I couldn't find any comparable forums to this for SF development.)

I grew up in Sioux Falls, and I saw that they are moving forward with a plan to remove the large BNSF switching yard on the East Bank of downtown.

Article, purchase area (map of purchase area on page 6), and old East Bank redevelopment planning document.

I made my own mock-up of what I would like to see in an East Bank redevelopment plan here.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Sioux Falls - East Bank redevelopment

Postby Nathan » January 9th, 2013, 12:41 pm

I don't know much about SF at all, but It's nice to see aggressive redevelopment projects like this going on. I like how you reconnect the grid a little better than their plans which seem a little suburban.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » July 26th, 2013, 11:42 am

The City has released a DEIS for the project: http://www.siouxfalls.org/public-works/ ... sment.aspx

The redevelopment proposal is quite sad: 10 acres of land, 4 new buildings totalling 320,000 s.f., and 1,200 new parking spots. The good news is that surface lots are easily built over, so I'm hoping that this is only some sort of near-term proposal.

This seems to share some characteristics with the St. Paul Ford Plant redevelopment (in character, if not in scope) - I'd much prefer some grid mending, and small-scale redevelopment, rather than master-planning it to death. See the OP for a link to my own redevelopment plan.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » March 18th, 2016, 7:36 am

Mixed-use building designed by BKV planned for May groundbreaking. This is easily the most significant downtown development in Sioux Falls for a long time! I believe this is also the first project to include public underground parking in Sioux Falls.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/b ... /81542670/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 18th, 2016, 8:26 am

I miss the parking ramp over the river downtown in Sioux Falls. Now I have to go to Janesville, WI to see a downtown riverfront covered by parking.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 18th, 2016, 8:52 am

That's a really great building. Love that. They can build one here too. ;) great news for them!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 18th, 2016, 11:42 am

Reminds me of the condo/retail building along Grand Ave in St. Paul neat Lexington, except a few stories taller. Looks like BKV can do a decent building with a developer that gives a s**t about how it fits into its community.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 18th, 2016, 1:00 pm

Ya'll did read in the link that this is based on Mozaic, right? The article says "It’s designed by architects at BKV Group in Minneapolis and loosely modeled after a similar building there." but the sixth picture in the slideshow is of the east side of Mozaic, which it erroneously notes is in downtown MPLS.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » March 18th, 2016, 2:22 pm

To people from Sioux Falls, the entire Twin Cities = "Minneapolis" and anywhere in the actual city = "downtown". Annoying, but true.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 18th, 2016, 4:15 pm

Right. My point was the Mozaic connection. I was shocked at the lack of "hahaha, wait until they see how it gets dumbed down like its inspiration" snarkasm. :)
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 18th, 2016, 4:32 pm

Mosaic has a lot of traits of a great building, great set backs, and such, it's just actually a parking garage.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 22nd, 2016, 5:20 pm

I thought this whole BKV Mozaic copy thing played out in another thread a year or two ago. That's why I didn't bite.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » December 2nd, 2016, 4:00 pm

1917 building in downtown Sioux Falls collapsed today, apparently while interior renovations were being performed. A woman (and dog) have been rescued, but another man (construction worker) is believed to still be in the rubble.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/c ... /94804578/

I walked right past the building last weekend while attending the parade. I'm obviously concerned about the person trapped inside, but I'm also fearful what will happen to this corner now. It was being renovated into a Lewis Drug (local grocery/convenience/pharmacy chain), a much-needed amenity downtown. I'm worried that it will either remain surface parking / vacant, or be replaced with something ugly.

Locals in SF are not particularly forward-thinking about urban development - a downtown height limit is being considered.
But as downtown continues to grow, some have been concerned about the possibility of a skyscraper going up in the midst of Phillips Avenue, said Diane deKoeyer, an urban planner for City Hall.

“That really scares a lot of people,” deKoeyer said.
...sigh...