Mayo Expansion Proposal - Rochester

uptowncarag

Mayo Expansion Proposal - Rochester

Postby uptowncarag » January 15th, 2013, 4:48 pm

There is a note in the "heard on the street" column about rumblings about a development downtown that has been under the radar. It is of a towering nature. We will see.

uptowncarag

Re: Rochester Tower

Postby uptowncarag » January 15th, 2013, 4:48 pm

The article is in the Rochester Post Bulletin.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 15th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Dang, I missed that at the bottom of an article about a new Potbelly outlet.

In other news, UHG and Mayo may lead to some development... in Cambridge, MA: http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1006 ... itedHealth

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » January 15th, 2013, 11:22 pm

Mayo is building another new building next to Methodist Hospital. It's only 3-4 floors but will be expanded up to 20 in the future. Rochester's downtown is getting pretty dense with 10-20 story buidlings - all Mayo related. :mrgreen:

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » January 16th, 2013, 2:12 pm

Is there a link? I tried searching the postbulletin last night but couldn't come up with anything

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 16th, 2013, 3:11 pm

@beykiet: http://www.postbulletin.com/business/he ... 77d4a.html

My sources haven't heard rumblings of this being a Mayo endeavor, but I'm not sure.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » January 16th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Awesome thanks! Hopefully something comes of this.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » January 17th, 2013, 3:29 pm

Who cares about the tower, apparently this Potbelly is gonna be 21,000 square feet! Now that's historic!!!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 30th, 2013, 2:09 pm

Sounds like they want to pull a Zygi?
http://www.startribune.com/business/189061761.html

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » January 30th, 2013, 3:34 pm

It would be interesting to know exactly what they plan on doing with the money to turn Rochester into a "vibrant" city.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 30th, 2013, 5:39 pm

It would be interesting to know exactly what they plan on doing with the money to turn Rochester into a "vibrant" city.
Building HSR to Minneapolis?

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » January 30th, 2013, 7:53 pm

You mean wider sidewalks and street planters aren't enough??

They did mention infrastructure projects so hopefully some funding or lobbying for HSR? I'd love to see LRT/Streetcar, Rochester has the opportunity to grow up around some great transit. At least make 52 freeway grade the whole way through. I love Froggie's idea of 290 and 135. Either way it'll be exciting to see what comes of this, I'd love to see the day when Minnesota has two major metropolitan areas.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Destination Medical Center- Rochester

Postby beykite » January 30th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Well lookie here I found the press release from Mayo. Here's the snippet that describes the most of there plans.
Major elements of the proposed DMC initiative fall into three categories:
  • Mayo Facilities and Services Expansion. In 2012, Mayo Clinic announced that it intended to invest nearly $3.5 billion in capital improvements throughout its facilities in Minnesota and other states over the next 20 years. Mayo will continue to invest in its own infrastructure and improvements to increase the quality of care delivered to patients. Mayo needs support from the state and local jurisdictions to improve public infrastructure that supports Rochester and Minnesota as a global medical destination. Additionally in 2012, Mayo Clinic along with the city of Rochester and Rochester Area Economic Development, Inc. (RAEDI) announced an accelerator project that will support entrepreneurs who have licensed Mayo's innovative technologies to advance medicine and make these technologies available for patient care. This space will enable bio-business companies to obtain short-term leases quickly and affordably in a space dedicated to small startups. Space provides for collaboration between startups and accessibility to ancillary infrastructure services (i.e., venture capital).
  • Private Business Expansion. Market research revealed significant gaps in patient/visitor satisfaction between their experiences on the Mayo campus (which are rated very high) vs. the non-Mayo time they spend in Rochester during their visits. To realize the DMC vision, it will be necessary to meet visitor expectations with respect to new lodging and hospitality venues, entertainment, retail and visitor attractions.
    This "satisfaction gap" is also pronounced among Mayo Clinic employees and other residents of Rochester, who are demanding better housing options in addition to quality of life enhancements in the community. This issue has emerged as an impediment when trying to recruit new physicians and other employees to relocate to Rochester.
  • Public Infrastructure. To support $5.5 billion in private investment and hundreds of thousands of new visitors to Rochester each year, a significant investment in public infrastructure will be required for public parking, transportation and transit; utilities, land assembly and buy-down, environmental remediation, streetscape improvements and plazas, skyways, bridges, public meeting spaces, etc.
Whole article can be found here on KAAL. Maybe we'll see some major residential/hotel projects from this.
Last edited by beykite on January 30th, 2013, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Destination Medical Center- Rochester

Postby beykite » January 30th, 2013, 8:18 pm

I swear I'm not secretly trying to bump my post count here... But I keep posting then reading more info. Should really learn to be patient. ;)

Heres an interview from MPR. I quoted an interesting piece on transit from the end of the interview.
Crann: You mentioned infrastructure improvements for the public funding part of this. What are you talking about, bigger airport or a high-speed train from the Twin Cities? What are we talking about?

Noseworthy: All of those things will be considered, but roads, bridges, parking, sewers and whatever form of transportation is currently needed five to 20 years from now. Who knows? Light-rail would be great. We have an international airport there, but that'll need to be upgraded as more private money, more private investment in hotels and retail and so on come to Rochester.
Also maybe we should split this off from the Rochester Tower thread and make a separate thread for Destination Medical Center- Rochester.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 9th, 2013, 10:08 pm

http://www.startribune.com/business/190434251.html

Here's a good article in the Star Tribune about the Mayo expansion:
You could hear echoes of past debates over stadium subsidies in the chatter that followed Mayo Clinic’s proposal for up to $585 million in government financing for Rochester infrastructure as its campus grows.

So Mayo gets what it wants or it may leave, like the Minnesota Vikings were decamping for Los Angeles without a new publicly funded place to play?

Actually, the situations are quite different. While Mayo’s CEO talks of other options should its plan die, the “Destination Medical Center” initiative really only makes sense in Rochester.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » February 9th, 2013, 11:03 pm

^^^Please link external articles and refrain from quoting the entire article. Thanks.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 10th, 2013, 2:59 pm

I was there Friday and Saturday, talking with a few people about these plans and how they see the marketplace evolving. Look for a writeup sometime in the next few days.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » February 24th, 2013, 11:02 pm

Rochester ponders $6 billion Mayo expansion
Article by: JENNIFER BROOKS , Star Tribune

ROCHESTER - There are company towns, and then there’s Rochester — where waiters make meal recommendations based on what sort of blood work you’re having drawn at Mayo Clinic the next morning.

So when Mayo announced this month that it wants to spend billions of dollars to expand its facilities and remake this quietly prosperous city of 100,000 into a vibrant destination spot for Mayo’s global clientele, that hit the top of Rochester’s agenda, too. Mayo employs more than 34,000 people — one-third of the city’s population. If you try to play the Mayo version of six degrees of separation with anyone in Rochester, it’s going to be a pretty short game... [Continue]
Any chance we could get this thread split into a new topic called Destination Medical Center? Unless the tower is somehow incorporated into Mayo's plans...?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 25th, 2013, 8:41 am

There's no tower plan. The title should just be changed. The only thing that was of towering statue was the amount of the bailout they're asking from the state.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » February 25th, 2013, 4:36 pm

With the scope of this expansion there will surely be a tower of some sorts.