Mayo Expansion Proposal - Rochester

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Re: Mayo Expansion Proposal - Rochester

Postby TroyGBiv » August 8th, 2019, 7:08 pm

It really does. It just seems that the Northstar should be finished to St Cloud and then continue to Northfield and Rochester.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » August 8th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Another good source for Rochester updates is https://www.medcitybeat.com/ ... this blog has been sourced a couple times over the years regarding Rochester development in the news...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 8th, 2019, 8:21 pm

I don't know why we're so hung up on new rails to Rochester. I don't know why you have to compete with drive times when being on a train means you don't have to sit behind a windshield and focus on driving. Service just has to be comfortable, reliable, and conveniently timed.

With Canadian Pacific's purchase of DM&E (the old Chicago & Northwestern line along the Hwy 14 corridor) and their combination of dedicated tracks and UP trackage rights from Owatonna to St. Paul, it would be relatively easy to run regional trains from Minneapolis to Rochester via SPUD and Owatonna with only one railroad to negotiate with: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-USub ... sp=sharing

Imagine something like a Brightline service... Minneapolis - St Paul - Northfield - Faribault - Owatonna - Rochester. Maybe a suburban stop in Rosemount. 2.5 hours end-to-end, maybe even down to 2 hours from SPUD to Rochester.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » August 8th, 2019, 8:34 pm

2 hours would be a deal breaker. Have to be able to make the trip in an hour or less. That is why high speed rail is really the only option. If you can make the drive in half the time, it doesnt make enough sense for enough people. Commuting 4 hours + each day would be a deal breaker.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 8th, 2019, 8:40 pm

Commuting 100 miles each way should be a deal breaker no matter the mode. This is more about regional connections than daily commuting.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » August 9th, 2019, 6:43 am

Commuting 100 miles each way should be a deal breaker no matter the mode. This is more about regional connections than daily commuting.
Those making the 80-mile commute generally aren't doing it by choice. Rochester is still a one-trick pony and is virtually a company town. If you're not a medical professional and your spouse is (or vice-versa), the commutes are going to happen. With that said, even slow rail to the SPUD would be a huge improvement.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » August 9th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Those making the 80-mile commute generally aren't doing it by choice. Rochester is still a one-trick pony and is virtually a company town. If you're not a medical professional and your spouse is (or vice-versa), the commutes are going to happen. With that said, even slow rail to the SPUD would be a huge improvement.
I'm curious how many people commute away from Rochester to jobs in the Twin Cities metro, or elsewhere, since I know a lot of people commute to Rochester. It does complicate things when the range of employer types (not just the total number of jobs) is limited, and some of the larger non-Mayo employers there, like IBM, have declined from what they once were.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » August 9th, 2019, 2:25 pm

When the ZIP rail meetings were still ongoing there were statistics on that. I myself have done the commute both directions and there didn't feel like there was a substantially different amount of flow north vs. south. I think there are more than 2000 daily commutes in BOTH directions, maybe 3000 south and 2000 north but I know it's a big number. Boring drive.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » August 9th, 2019, 4:46 pm

At least there are ample Kwik-Trip locations.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » August 10th, 2019, 7:34 am

When I lived in Rochester, my wife worked at Mayo and I worked for one of the big banks in the cities. I was fortunate enough to be able to work from a Rochester branch most of the time, but would still have to make the commute to the cities very often. I would say it was just as busy going north than traffic coming south. Knew a lot of people that commuted 4-5 times a week to the cities with spouses working at Mayo. It isn't something by choice, but something you have to do if your spouse works at Mayo.

Kwik-Trip is awesome! Miss those now living in Fargo

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » August 11th, 2019, 4:24 pm

It's amazing how much more traffic there is on Hwy 52 then there was when I was growing up. Back in the early 70's my friends and I would ride our bikes along 52 from Zumbrota to Pine Island to go swimming in their pool. Zumbrota got one around 74 or 75. The other highlight for the trip was that my grandparents owned the Pine Island Bakery so there were always treats. We never felt any danger and never got pulled over from a State Trooper. Now a days with cell phones and the amount of traffic, it would never happen. Also Pine Island just opened a pool park where the old pool was.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » April 27th, 2021, 9:53 am

Mayo Clinic announced today that seven floors are being added to the Anna-Maria and Stephen Kellen Building, being built on the corner of Third Street Southwest and Fourth Avenue Southwest. The 11-story building is being funded primarily by donations, led by a gift of $49.3 million from the New York-based Anna-Maria and Stephen Kellen Foundation.
Mayo Clinic officials say the goal is to open it in the fourth quarter of 2023
Adding the seven stories to the projects means it is more than doubling from the original plan for a 64,000-square-foot complex to a 176,000-square-foot research center.

https://www.postbulletin.com/newsmd/he ... KMlnjUqZXE

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 27th, 2021, 10:01 am

editcostarica
Block E

Postby editcostarica » April 27th, 2021, 10:03 am

Nice to see a little funk added to a vacant lot.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » April 28th, 2021, 10:01 am

That will be a great addition. And will stand out nicely from the south! I also love that it is taking up less than a quarter of the block, leaving plenty of room for the rest to be developed!

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » April 28th, 2021, 2:10 pm

May be the best proposal for Rochester ever. Even Minneapolis doesn't have anything nearly as bold. Something like this would be phenomenal in the Uptown area.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » April 29th, 2021, 7:34 pm

May be the best proposal for Rochester ever. Even Minneapolis doesn't have anything nearly as bold. Something like this would be phenomenal in the Uptown area.
Can you imagine this design and height at the old Arby's site in a triangular shape!

So excited for this addition to Rochester. Great looking building.

MinneapBliss
Metrodome

Postby MinneapBliss » May 2nd, 2021, 9:17 pm

I had the exact same thought about the old Arby's site...if that could've been this style, 15 stories, with the recessed glass tinted blue to signify the lakes, it would be a statement for Uptown. Since I don't have a say, I'll just be very happy that Rochester is getting a striking new building, and kudos to the development team for their vision.
"That rug really tied the room together, did it not?" -Walter Sobchak

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 16th, 2021, 9:13 am

$200 million / 110,000 sf expansion announced for the Jacobson Building (proton beam radiation at the Methodist Hospital campus downtown) to open by 2025. https://www.postbulletin.com/newsmd/hea ... -expansion

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » August 18th, 2021, 11:35 am

Anyone know how tall this building would have to be? Small plot for 110,000 sf