The Hilton Rochester (former Broadway at Center project)

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

The Hilton Rochester (former Broadway at Center project)

Postby minnyapple » May 31st, 2013, 9:39 am

Mod note: After much delay, the project was redesigned as a 19-story / 264-room hotel only project, simply known as The Hilton
Jump ahead to that news: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1392&start=40#p125988

-----

From Rochester Post Bulletin "The building would feature 30,000 square feet of Class A office space, a 150-room four-star hotel, 150 market-rent apartments, a "high-end grocery" and a Minnesota-branded steakhouse, among other attractions."

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... c2cb3.html
Last edited by minnyapple on June 4th, 2013, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

nasa35

Re: 25-story tower downtown Rochester.

Postby nasa35 » May 31st, 2013, 11:50 am

sweet.

Rochester will have the second nicest downtown within a decade.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 31st, 2013, 12:41 pm

If this type of development continues, and if Zip Rail goes in, would we become the Triplet Cities? My tongue is obviously firmly planted in my cheek, but having a third "mid-major" city within a 1 hour train ride of Minneapolis would be a very good thing. Especially if their growth is good urban design (which, IMO is designed for pedestrian travel first, bike/bus second, car third - get this right and everything else comes naturally).

Great news for Rochester!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 1st, 2013, 12:42 am

Also:
Planned municipal parking ramp on the back side of this block, from what I've heard. Not a way to A Better Rochester.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 1st, 2013, 1:17 am

Sounds like Rochester will be adding so much car storage !!! that they will be bridging over East Center Street with an 8+ level ramp.
Because we know that's a great idea....

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » June 1st, 2013, 6:33 am

The article from the Post Bulletin also says, "The tower could go higher as planning proceeds -- possibly topping the Broadway Residences and Suites tower next door, which is the tallest building in Rochester."

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » June 1st, 2013, 4:42 pm

Nice! I've also heard Mayo might start out their expansion big with a tower as well (part of the wow factor after getting support from the state I would guess) I could see a couple mid-rises changing Rochester's skyline in the next few years. Remember when that writer for the Post Bulletin wrote about something "towering in nature" maybe this was the development he was talking about, and not DMC. The article says this has been in advance planning stages for about 6 months. My only concern is that it looks like it could block quiet a few views out of Broadway Residences. Hopefully that doesn't hurt the project.

Side note: Anyway we could get the thread title changed? The article mentions the project name The Broadway at Center. I'd be in favor with a title like: The Broadway at Center-Rochester. In fact I think it would clean up the whole outstate sub if all topics were named similar. (project name-city) In fact if development really picks up in Rochester maybe we could go back to having separate subs for Duluth and Rochester like on Minnescraper?

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » June 1st, 2013, 5:36 pm

I really hate the Broadway Residences and Suites. It looks like Section 8 highrises through out Minneapolis and St. Paul. Unappealing to say the least. Even the Rochester Towers built in 1966 looks better. http://www.emporis.com/building/rochest ... ter-mn-usa

Unity77
Landmark Center

Re: The Broadway at Center. Downtown Rochester.

Postby Unity77 » June 4th, 2013, 3:35 pm

Here is a rendering I came across:

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 4th, 2013, 5:26 pm

It just seems so odd to block the views of people living in the current tallest residential building in Rochester, when (I imagine) there is plenty of surface parking or otherwise underutilized land to build on nearby. And yeah mattaudio, that parking ramp looks like a disaster. They should ask anyone in downtown St. Paul how much they like the ramp that bridges over the street.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 5th, 2013, 8:50 am

I'm confused. Rochester already has a parking ramp that bridges over Center Street.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 5th, 2013, 8:54 am

Yes, west of Broadway, disconnecting St. Mary's from this node. And it's from the 60s and closer to the end of its lifecycle. Do we really want to double down (or triple down in the case of Rochester) on past mistakes and sever the walkable connections between our neighborhoods? Is subsidized car storage really so important that we wish to destroy our streetscape and adjacent land values to promote it?

mulad

Postby mulad » June 5th, 2013, 9:35 am

I'm confused. Rochester already has a parking ramp that bridges over Center Street.
Yes. Quite the eyesore in itself, and it's only 3-4 levels high.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » June 5th, 2013, 10:47 am

Yeah, parking ramps over public rights-of-way are awful. In my hometown (Sioux Falls) a parking ramp spanned the river downtown, cutting off views and forcing the bike path through its tunnel-like underbelly. The day it was torn down people were practically dancing in the streets.

rathman11
Block E

Postby rathman11 » June 5th, 2013, 7:46 pm

I'm not saying parking ramps over streets are the solution, I don't care for them myself, but parking options in Rochester are in significant need, especially for Mayo Clinic employees. For some, the current wait time to get a parking spot is around 10 years. With Mayo Clinic employing several thousand individuals from the surrounding communities, most people commute into Rochester. Either parking ramps or better public transportation options are needed to help alleviate this issue. Also, most street parking around downtown is limited due to restrictions.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » June 5th, 2013, 10:36 pm

Either parking ramps or better public transportation options are needed to help alleviate this issue.
So improve the public transit

rathman11
Block E

Postby rathman11 » June 6th, 2013, 6:46 am

I agree, public transportation needs to be significantly improved in the area. The current problem seems to be limited bus options from the surrounding communities. My mom took the bus in the past but when her hours switched it was no longer feasible with a big difference between her work hours and the bus schedule. Mayo does have some surface lots outside of the downtown core with shuttle service but I think a legitimate park and ride of some sort could be extremely beneficial. Where to locate it becomes the next question.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 1st, 2013, 1:09 pm

Apparently there are enough sane people in Rochester who have made a fuss and there will be no chance of a parking ramp over E. Center St. Supposedly it was just a sketch from a developer and not an actual plan. But maybe the developer of Broadway at Center really thought a giant parking ramp straddling a city street would be a great urban statement helping to command higher rents. You never know.

John2015
Block E

Postby John2015 » July 13th, 2013, 1:03 pm

Any updates?

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

New 24-story mixed use tower (CJ's Midtown Lounge site)

Postby bubzki2 » March 27th, 2014, 6:57 am