Duluth Housing News

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Duluth Housing News

Postby mattaudio » November 17th, 2014, 4:34 pm

London Road actually has a ton of potential west of 26th. It sure feels auto-oriented as a vestige of the pre-I35 extension, but now it could easily have a road diet, some streetcaping/beautification, and it would rock.

aluminumpork
Block E

Postby aluminumpork » January 21st, 2015, 7:31 pm

London Road actually has a ton of potential west of 26th. It sure feels auto-oriented as a vestige of the pre-I35 extension, but now it could easily have a road diet, some streetcaping/beautification, and it would rock.
They've already started with the "road diet" by re-marking the road down to two traffic lanes and bike lanes. I've always hoped that a treed center median could be built along with lowering the speed limits to 25. London Road shouldn't feel like an alternative to the freeway or Superior St.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 22nd, 2015, 9:40 am

I was just noticing this the last time I was in town. There are probably a number of things that could be done to improve it, but one of the issues is that the ROW is so wide, and then most of the buildings (even some with nice urban frontage) are set a fair ways back. The street section feels grossly over-sized, and I'm not sure it's fixable.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 22nd, 2015, 9:51 am

Big island. Just think, the inside could be flooded and/or groomed for skate and/or ski commuting during winter months.
La Frozen Rambla.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » January 22nd, 2015, 2:03 pm

There has been more than a little bit of bellyaching about London Road's road diet. A lot of people hate that bikes can now use it and people feel like they're going slower. I suspect the road being quite wide until you Leif Erikson Park/Rose Garden plays into that perception.

East of 26th, it's kind of a necessary evil for it to be fairly wide - it and Superior Street are the only major thoroughfares connecting a decent chunk of the city (and it already backs up/slows down during rush hour) and it also serves commuters/visitors from Two Harbors, Silver Bay, and beyond in its role as Hwy 61.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 26th, 2016, 9:28 pm

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » February 26th, 2016, 10:00 pm

In 2014, the hotel was bought for $250,000 by Mitchell and Michelle Holmes
what a steal! This is great for Duluth though, especially if the building was just sitting empty for so long. How much housing is in the downtown area right now, any guesses? I'm not very familiar with the area at all.