Rochester

mulad

Re: Rochester

Postby mulad » September 24th, 2016, 7:01 pm

Possible new development on County 22 (West Circle Drive), near the Think Mutual Bank Buildings.
The plan created by the CRW Group of Rochester and Minneapolis-based WSB shows a "Phase I" that includes constructing an elbow-shaped, 10,000-square-foot building "for office use," just north of the parking lot of Think's headquarters.

Phase II includes a 8,700-square-foot building and a 7,200 building, both for "office use," on either side of the Phase I.

An L-shaped, 25,000-square-foot building for "Restaurant, retail and/office uses" is shown being constructed behind the nearby bank branch as "Phase III."

The final phase of the proposed development plan shows a 10,000- to 60,000-square-foot "Restaurant, retail and/office uses" center to be built along West Circle Drive, just south of the Think Bank headquarters.

http://www.postbulletin.com/blogs/kiger ... bcc31.html
Extremely disappointing to see that sort of layout in 2016. Unwalkable and a big waste of land. The Douglas Trail bike path runs just southwest of the area, and it would be nice to see that linked in.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » September 28th, 2016, 2:52 pm

Nothing really new, but the Post Bulletin released a new article about the arena that might be happening in downtown Rochester with proposals being made after the new year/city council election. I know councilman Wojick is strongly opposed to this happening.
It's also not a hockey arena. It's a multi-purpose arena for entertainment of all kinds, possibly to include hockey, possibility to include a U.S. Hockey League franchise
This project would be designed to address that. It's been kept mostly under wraps, but here's what we know: They're likely to propose a $55 million to $75 million arena, with 4,000 to 7,000 seats, that would replace Taylor Arena, which because of its size and design can't accommodate hockey and larger shows, according to project promoters.
There's a working group that meets monthly to groom the proposal, I'm told, and that group typically includes Mayor Ardell Brede, City Administrator Steve Kvenvold, a U.S. Hockey League representative and business leaders.

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/answer ... 8fd2c.html

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 29th, 2016, 8:36 am

I think they meant to say it would be a "Peoples' Arena."

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » September 30th, 2016, 9:52 am

So the Miracle Mile development has, yet again, been delayed on moving forward. The next review of the project by the planning commission will be October 12th. In other news for the project, Miracle Mile has parted ways with the Stencil Group for building the project.

http://www.postbulletin.com/business/st ... user-share

Stencil has been really active in Rochester in the past couple of years. According to their website, they have finished two apartment projects in Rochester and have two under construction at the moment (The Buckeye/Flats on 4th and The Pines). According to the City Council website, they have several other proposals around town, beyond Miracle Mile, that are awaiting approval. Their largest project would be The Pines, which are behind the new Hy-vee on West Circle Drive, and have 192 units with an estimated $21,000,000 value for the project.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » September 30th, 2016, 10:46 am

Pretty simple for this project. Make 16th Ave single lane with street parking. Switch building orientation. Grade some dirt. Done.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » October 4th, 2016, 1:34 pm

Proposed new 16 story, mixed use tower in downtown Rochester. This would be the first major project in the "Heart of the City" subdistrict since DMC started.
The owner of the Days Inn property in downtown Rochester is working with Wisconsin-based Hammes Company on a proposal to demolish the existing structure and replace it with a 16-story, mixed-use development.
Preliminary plans call for 8,000-10,000 square feet of street-level retail, three stories of parking, 200 hotel rooms and 120 contemporary apartments with "high-end amenities." The new building, projected to include a total of 392,750 square feet of space, would be constructed on the site of the hotel and the street-level parking lots immediately north of the existing structure.

http://www.themedcitybeat.com/news-blog ... -rochester

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 4th, 2016, 1:42 pm

Literally a short Nicollet 365

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » October 4th, 2016, 1:52 pm

Even if it is, I like it. In my opinion that area of downtown needs some attention, as most of the newer construction in recent years has been to the south of Second Street. Plus this would get rid of surface parking lots, which would be really nice.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 4th, 2016, 2:38 pm

I take it I'm the only one who thought that building was quite attractive, then?

https://goo.gl/maps/iBSznFUAe6A2

Great location, but I wish they'd tackle surface lots before destroying one of the few attractive, older buildings left downtown.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » October 4th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Yeah, that's definitely not where I'd start with new construction in Rochester.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » October 4th, 2016, 3:24 pm

While I agree that the building is one of the few remaining older buildings in downtown Rochester that's been kept up on the outside, it sounds like the inside is a bit worse.
The building has been identified in Rochester's draft Heritage Preservation Ordinance as a potential landmark. However, according to Hammes, the building is "obsolete and cannot accommodate a modern, state of the art hotel."

"An assessment of the building’s structure and its mechanical and electrical systems concludes that is not feasible to renovate the existing building," states the proposal from Hammes.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 4th, 2016, 3:25 pm

I mean, in a way it's truly sad that a pedestrian brick building with multiple storefronts and a simple cornice is so rare that we feel protective of it. But I feel the same way. My, how our places have fallen.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 5th, 2016, 7:48 am

But, in all fairness that place is really quite junky inside. It would pretty much take a full gutting to get that to be presentable as a new hotel. Perhaps preserve a facade, or something to that effect? Dreaming.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » October 5th, 2016, 4:11 pm

So on the top of the link there is a undistinguished cube/. Any ideas what that is?

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » October 5th, 2016, 4:42 pm

So on the top of the link there is a undistinguished cube/. Any ideas what that is?
I was looking at that earlier and I think it might be the Jacobson building. I know it has the structural support to be expanded to 19 floors. Mayo is usually pretty good about that type of stuff... I mean, the Gonda can add on an additional 10 floors to reach a height of 30.

Thorondor
City Center

Postby Thorondor » October 5th, 2016, 4:44 pm

You mean in the rendering of the proposed tower? That's the Phase II vertical expansion of the Jacobson Building to bring it up to ~19 stories. That should be one of Mayo's first major projects under DMC. It would have been started as early as next year, but has been delayed slightly with ~$185m going into the new Saint Marys tower and other renovations there.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » October 6th, 2016, 9:25 am

Yeah, I rather like the building that is there.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » October 6th, 2016, 8:55 pm

Kind of a cool story. I never knew that Rochester had a brewery! I wish the building was still around, as it looks like an awesome building.
Apparently this brewery was founded in the 1850's, but closed due to prohibition.

http://www.kttc.com/story/33331147/2016 ... er-brewery

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » October 18th, 2016, 9:05 pm

Sister Generose, who served at Saint Marys for more than half of a century, was honored today after her passing on October 7th at the age of 97. The Plummer Building was lit blue and the large, ornamental bronze front doors of the building were closed.

Picture is courtesy of the rochester_mn instagram page.

In a token of respect for her life and contributions, the doors of the Plummer Building in downtown Rochester were closed Tuesday, an event that had occurred only nine previous times since their installation 88 years ago and the first time such an honor had been accorded a Rochester Franciscan sister.
Sister Generose was remembered for both the big things and small things she would go on to accomplish. She was named administrator of Saint Marys in 1971 and presided over a time of growth at Saint Marys. She oversaw the construction of the Mary Brigh Building and its 40 operating rooms, directed the hospital response to the great Rochester flood of 1978 and nurtured the integration of Saint Marys with Mayo Clinic.
http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... e1123.html

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » October 21st, 2016, 9:45 pm

Some more news about the "Riverwalk Downtown City Apartments".

It sounds like the building will remain 6 stories but drop from 162 units to 149. More landscaping features, greenery, and open space between neighboring buildings are to be added. The entrance for the underground parking is also being moved.
The project would redevelop four existing residential properties on East Center Street, on the north side of the street and just east of the Zumbro River bridge.
The residential building would be a high-amenity, walking- and bicycling-friendly location for downtown living, according to North Rock Real Estate, the developer representing a private ownership group.
"The key to this location in our minds is being able to live and walk to work," said Mike Zirbes, of North Rock.
The development team is also considering adding a small commercial use to be included in the first floor lobby, Zirbes said, like a kiosk coffee shop or pop-up vendor. A commercial use request will be included in the application process.
In terms of landscaping, the developer plans to add features to the entrance of Mayo Field, including a monument sign for the ballpark, according to Zirbes.
The site plan was amended to move the entrance to parking from a shared entrance at Mayo Field to an access from East Center Street. A planned underground parking facility would provide 175 stalls.
The Planning and Zoning Commission will hold the first review of the project on November 9th.

I really like the project and hope this one makes it. It's fascinating to see projects like this in Rochester, as the sprawling-suburban nature of the city still lingers. The denser the core neighborhoods and downtown, the better.