Broadway Flats - (West Broadway & Penn Avenue North)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Nick
Capella Tower

Broadway Flats - (West Broadway & Penn Avenue North)

Postby Nick » January 5th, 2013, 5:48 pm

Lupe's website isn't much to work with but it refers to "Broadway Flats". Dean Rose, the guy who owns Broadway Liquor Outlet across Broadway from this site, owns the property. They cleared the entire block after the tornado. It's a huge vacant lot on a street with many vacant lots. There was an article in one of the business newspapers a while back, I'm not sure what the status of this project is. I can't see them leasing hundreds of market rate new construction units at this site, but who knows.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Broadway Flats - (West Broadway & Penn Avenue North)

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 5th, 2013, 6:23 pm

Look at all of the attention the northside is getting now! Great news for a neighborhood that needs it most!!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 31st, 2013, 9:36 pm

A bunch of renderings and site plans for this are up on the city's website:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 103792.pdf

I thought they were using that whole cleared block, but I guess it's just the southern half.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » February 1st, 2013, 2:30 pm

I will reiterate my comments about curb cuts from the Totino's thread. Are drivers really too stupid to figure out that they need to turn and park behind the building? And the one on Queen is just gratuitous, that could just as well be accessed from the (huge) parking lot. There needs to be a citywide maximum curb cut frontage in the code. Or maybe we'll be able to just recycle away global warming and obesity.
"Who rescued whom!"

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 1st, 2013, 3:19 pm

...really too stupid...?
Yes. The answer is always "yes."

*sigh*
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 1st, 2013, 5:18 pm

That huge access off of Broadway must be for a drive-thru bank or something, right? There's no way that's needed just to access the parking.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » April 3rd, 2013, 7:14 pm

Dean Rose from Broadway Liquor Outlet came to the Jordan Housing and Development meeting last night with the latest version of the Broadway Flats proposal.

It now no longer has the pass under along Broadway. The original reason for that access on Broadway was the vacating of Queen between Broadway and 26th. Public works didn't go for that. Also St. Anne's wanted people to be able to see their chapel from Broadway. Instead the building stops shortly before Queen and they have extended design almost all the way down Penn besides one parcel on the corner of 26th and Penn that St. Anne's owns.

The general design remains 4 floors and the number of apartments increases by 30 or so. Two to four retail tenants can now fit on the Broadway portion of the building since BLO is going to stick to the Penn corner. He stated groundbreaking should be sometime this year.

They are going to include a bus shelter of some sort in the building. It sounds like another development 2 blocks north would likely do the same thing setting the stage for aBRT.

Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » April 4th, 2013, 5:37 pm

The original reason for that access on Broadway was the vacating of Queen between Broadway and 26th.
Maybe I'm not understanding you, but the last plan we saw did not require vacating Queen. Now that you mention it, though, it would be cool to make the chunk of Queen between 26th & Broadway into a plaza/pedestrianized space.

Also I still think there's a gratuitous curb cut in this new site plan - one entrance would be fine, and two is plenty. I have no idea why they think they need three.
"Who rescued whom!"

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » April 4th, 2013, 6:30 pm

The original reason for that access on Broadway was the vacating of Queen between Broadway and 26th.
Maybe I'm not understanding you, but the last plan we saw did not require vacating Queen. Now that you mention it, though, it would be cool to make the chunk of Queen between 26th & Broadway into a plaza/pedestrianized space.

Also I still think there's a gratuitous curb cut in this new site plan - one entrance would be fine, and two is plenty. I have no idea why they think they need three.
Hey, I'm just telling you what Dean Rose said. I thought it was strange, but I believe him since it's his development. The new design plans for vacating the alleys since the remaining land is St. Anne's parking. Do I agree with that move? No.

I vocally opposed the idea that one of north's most important blocks is going to be 60% parking unless the church sees the light of day. I will definitely be pushing the church to reconsider its land use in the future. They have 3,000 parishioners. They're mostly not from the neighborhood, but I live on the block of the church and I don't mind them parking in front of my house.

As for the curb cut, the one on Broadway and cut under on Penn are for the commercial spaces and the last curb cut is for resident guest parking. Rose wanted those separate. For all that's wrong about this development, it's a huge improvement over the Hawthorn Crossing suburban strip mall fiasco in the 90s. I still can't believe it's taken two years to get this point after the tornado. The city has been a failure in supporting the impact zone.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » April 5th, 2013, 9:41 am

Sorry, I didn't mean to hold you responsible for the statement, just wanted to point out the inconsistency with the plans we've seen. Thanks for attending meetings and reporting back, and thanks especially for speaking up about parking lot overload.
"Who rescued whom!"

schmitzm03
Nicollet Mall

Postby schmitzm03 » October 24th, 2013, 6:11 am

This one is on the Planning Commission agenda for next week:http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 115943.pdf

It looks like relatively nice infill.

Moderato
Block E

Postby Moderato » October 27th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Is this really infill? It will be the most prominent building between Irving and the parkway, and the main anchor at the Broadway and Penn transportation node.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 4th, 2014, 4:04 pm

http://finance-commerce.com/2014/06/moz ... nty-grant/
Broadway Flats — 2220 W. Broadway Ave., Minneapolis

Amount: $300,000 loan

Project cost: $24.6 million

Developer: Broadway Flats LLLP, a partnership between Lupe Development and Rose Development

Since it was first introduced in 2011, the mixed-use workforce housing complex planned at the current Broadway Liquor Outlet site on West Broadway and Penn Avenue has grown, according to Steve Minn, vice president and principal at Lupe Development.

With the addition of city-owned parcels, the project is now 103 housing units and 19,000 square feet of retail that will house the liquor store, a Laundromat and a possible restaurant. Minn said the project is transit-oriented because it will market housing to people who use transit to access jobs and the building features an integrated bus station on Penn Avenue.

The project is expected to break ground late this year or in 2015, Minn said Tuesday.

Read more: http://finance-commerce.com/2014/06/moz ... z33i7JDyHE

[...]
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 19th, 2014, 11:56 pm

They have asked for extended planning and they really hope that it will break ground in the spring. 60% of retail is already spoken for.

Moderato
Block E

Postby Moderato » November 27th, 2014, 12:25 am

Still moving forward. Rose seems like a well intentioned individual who has the interests of the community at heart.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/284031411.html

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 27th, 2015, 10:03 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 27th, 2015, 10:50 pm

Area Man Observes That All The Rendering People Are White
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » May 27th, 2015, 11:03 pm

Well, this is west of Penn.

I stopped by mostly for the free cookies and to take my toddler for a wagon ride. I can't wait for the day that a development like this doesn't require every politician in spitting distance of 55411 to show up. Here's to hoping that phase 2 across the street, on the old Broadway Liquor Outlet site, doesn't take four years to break ground.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 28th, 2015, 7:08 am

Area Man Observes That All The Rendering People Are White
Maybe they know something we don't...

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » May 28th, 2015, 5:42 pm

It's pretty exciting that this area of Broadway could have this and the Sherman project a little to the east coming online around similar times. Community engagement goes up when people are proud of where they live, and both of these projects look like they will up the neighborhood pride level while getting land back on the tax rolls. Not to mention the design looks smart and interacts better with the street better than a lot of what is getting built to the south.