Dinkytown

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Dinkytown

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 25th, 2014, 9:55 pm

Vodka and soda = the least unhealthy drink. Throw a lemon in there and you've got vitamins!

P.S. Who even drinks Miller Lite, et al. anymore? Or am I in a good beer echo chamber?
I believe wine has the most "value" per alcohol content amongst all of the options, and if you're drinking certain reds you can get small doses of potentially life-enhancing nutrients! :o

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 25th, 2014, 10:47 pm

Vodka and soda = the least unhealthy drink. Throw a lemon in there and you've got vitamins!

P.S. Who even drinks Miller Lite, et al. anymore? Or am I in a good beer echo chamber?
Clearly whiskey is where it's at.

Meanwhile, Domestic Macrobrews make up about 78% of US beer sales, as of 2013. So, yes, echo chamber. Included in the "other" category is 7.8% craft brews, and the difference is imports, some of which are good, and some of which (I'm looking at you, Stella) are hugely overrated.
True story: A whole keg of Summit EPA is like $25 more than a keg of...what was it called...Dinkytown Delight? Man my memories are scrambled. College was fun.
Not really true. Per Zipp's, your keg HQ, a keg of Summit will set you back $155, and prices for other craft beers go up from there. A keg of High Life is $75, less than half the price, and your most affordable option is Natty Light, at $46, less than a third of the price.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 25th, 2014, 11:04 pm

Yeah, you're in an echo chamber.

True Story: I get funny looks if I show up at a gathering of my extended family at my uncle's farm with fancy beer in tow. Y'know, fancy like Nordeast. And this is a farm less than 25 miles from New Ulm, no less.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 26th, 2014, 6:18 am

Whiskey is gross; also I could have sworn that at some point in 2010 the difference betwixt terrible and hold keg beer was effectively negligible. Might be a misplaced memory.

Anywho, I'll be in Dinkytown Thursday ahead of the Gopher season opener and will grab some pictures.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 26th, 2014, 10:00 am

Can grocery stores continue to sell alcohol after 10pm? That's really the only reason I can think of for Target Express to use some of their precious shelf space on 3.2 when a full liquor store is half a block away.
3.2 beer can be sold on Sundays (betcha hardly anyone knows that...how many Sunday runs to Wisconsin are made for Miller Lite and such crap? I'd guess quite a few).

Not sure about after 10pm. Check your nearest semi-sketchy gas station, as they usually have a little sign by the beer cooler indicating the hours of sales.

Seriously though...what is with the huge volume of Beck's NA on Target Express' shelves? Who the hell is buying that stuff?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 26th, 2014, 12:34 pm

People with tuberculosis.

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Postby TheUrbanGopher » September 10th, 2014, 3:30 pm

I don't know if this was ever posted, but there are now leading pedestrian intervals on most of the lights in Dinkytown. I think the light at 4th and 14th is the only one that doesn't have it yet. Its really nice getting ahead of cars if you are paying attention, but it'll take some time before peds realize that they have a walk signal 2 seconds before the light. Most people I've noticed don't start walking until the traffic light turns green, but that will change eventually.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » September 29th, 2014, 11:30 am

Dinkytown is once again home to a very famous jug!!!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 29th, 2014, 1:26 pm

I'm sitting at the Dinkytown McDonald's, and it sounds like the next table over is a landowner (apparently there's a house of some kind on the lot) talking to a developer about building a building.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » September 29th, 2014, 1:46 pm

I'm sitting at the Dinkytown McDonald's, and it sounds like the next table over is a landowner (apparently there's a house of some kind on the lot) talking to a developer about building a building.
Of all the places to go and do business, McDonald's seems like it would be LOW on the list. Hahaha. Dd you catch any mention of cross streets?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 29th, 2014, 2:19 pm

It's a rooming house with 12 beds, but it might be between 2 buildings, because he was talking about 2 lots, but the lot size is 10,500 sq ft.

I'm also not sure if it was a developer or a management company he was talking to (or a combination thereof). The guy was talking about his company's fees for managing a property. I saw the name on the folder as I walked out, but I forgot what it was exactly. It wasn't something I'd heard before, I know it started with an S, it was 3 letters, I think it was SMI but I'm not sure about, and the logo was basically a red rectangle with the 3 letters in white on top.

He talked a little bit about parking and construction techniques as well, but there wasn't anything new there to me.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 5th, 2014, 1:38 pm

A new pizza place is opening in Dinkytown.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... zeria.html

Since it's somewhat relevant, the restaurant is a chain.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 5th, 2014, 3:23 pm

That's strange--isn't that the address for that Chinese food place next to McDonalds? That place always looked pretty healthy, but I suppose it's hard to tell.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 5th, 2014, 5:13 pm

I think I saw this when I was walking through Dinkytown actually, I'm pretty sure it's in a former Verizon store, between 5 Guys and Pagoda.

Also I ate at Pizza Studio at MOA once, wasn't too bad.

mulad

Postby mulad » October 6th, 2014, 9:24 am

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » November 5th, 2014, 9:45 am

Marcy Holmes neighborhood (or whoever runs their Twitter) is promoting a "Help Preserve Historic Dinkytown" reunion. Hard to see what side they're on. /sarc

https://twitter.com/MarcyHolmesMpls/sta ... 6750352384

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 5th, 2014, 10:44 am

Their mission, per their website:
Let’s not let Dinkytown “pass into history.”

Help! Preserve Historic Dinkytown is a three-pronged campaign to accomplish the following:

• Ensure preservation of the iconic core of Dinkytown’s Historic Commercial District (over 100 years old); including its physical assets, scale and character.

• Inform the city’s historic designation study; document and share Dinkytown’s contributions to America’s transformational cultural movements of the mid 1950s to mid 1970s via: events, social media, exhibits etc.

• Collaborate with established public archives and reach out through our network to gather, process and provide long-term repository for the socio-cultural history of the University’s East and West-bank.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » November 6th, 2014, 11:18 am

Dinkytown Business Alliance pres says the most pressing issue is a lack of parking spaces in the area, wants to push for more: http://www.mndaily.com/news/campus/2014 ... -biz-group

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 6th, 2014, 12:28 pm

When every problem looks like a nail (lack of parking) I guess the only tool in your toolbox is going to be a screwdriver (add more parking).

mulad

Postby mulad » April 7th, 2015, 6:58 am

The MSP International Film Festival is showing a documentary about a 1970s protest of...a burger joint? Well, the location is familiar.