Dinkytown

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
twincitizen

Re: Dinkytown

Postby twincitizen » July 14th, 2014, 8:50 am

Final item on the Planning Commission agenda tonight: "Marcy Holmes Master Plan and Dinkytown Business District Plan"
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/meeting ... S1P-127955
Link to draft plans: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/cped/proje ... kytownplan

If you're interested in testifying at the public hearing, you can probably show up well after the 4:30pm start time, this is item #13 on the public hearing agenda, and follows Linden Crossing.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 14th, 2014, 9:12 am

Holy crap, this meeting is going to last literally forever.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 14th, 2014, 9:53 am

It is so much easier to just send in emails.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » July 31st, 2014, 6:57 pm

Today I was talking to a former co-worker while shopping. She told me she was leaving her current retail job in the next few days to work in a retail setting that will be opening in Dinkytown. Specifically, a clothing store.

She said she wasn't permitted to reveal the company at this point, but that it would make a big splash in the area. And that she had been training at another location in the area. It's supposed to be across from the Target Express, but I don't recall seeing any recent work taking place at the Venue (unless I've just missed it? I don't go over often)

Without having too many details--but knowing a bit about her--it makes me think something like H&M or Forever 21 is planning a debut.

I dunno if anyone else can debunk any of this or has insights, but I thought I should share. She said she'll be working there soon, so I suppose we'll find out?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 31st, 2014, 7:25 pm

The spaces in the Venue are still too raw to be handed over to a retailer to customize, they're concrete floors and unifished walls, looks like they're still pulling electric wire, etc etc. Also have to say that Target Express is great and the Venue looks amazing, especially the stepbacks.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 31st, 2014, 7:34 pm

An Express across from Target Express?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » July 31st, 2014, 7:51 pm

Just visited Target Express for the second time. This time I did a bit more shopping. I have to say that I love the place. I also took a better look at the Venue. It's definitely too raw at this point. But would something opening in say two months or so be out of the question? Or at least open enough that it's employing people (even if not open to the public just yet)?

Express would actually be a pretty great store, but I'm gonna go out on the limb and say that it doesn't quite hit the demographic in the neighborhood. Just a little too expensive.

H&M and Forever 21 hit the mark. They're also the sort of place I can imagine this girl working. I told her I'd have to stop in sometime to whatever this store was and she also didn't brush off the idea that I would be unable to purchase anything. That makes me think if it's a place like Forever 21 that they'll include a men's section. But this is all speculating on my part.

Are there really any other stores that hit the college demographic that already exist elsewhere in the MSP market? All I can think of is Urban Outfitters or maybe Gap?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 31st, 2014, 10:19 pm

American Apparel loves to be next to campuses.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 31st, 2014, 10:20 pm

H & M would cause a campus shutdown.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 2nd, 2014, 6:04 pm

Just an update:

Ran into my old coworker again as it was her last day at her current place. She ended up giving me a few more details.

Seeing as this website seems to be viewed by more than a few members of the media and the like--and I swore myself to secrecy--I won't reveal the name I was given. But I can shed a few details.

It's not anything of the stores mentioned above. It should appeal to both men and women. While they are already here in the Twin Cities, from what little I gleaned, this is a new, definitely urban concept that is only in a few cities around the country.

Wish I could reveal more, but even with the name a lot of the details are fuzzy. They're planning on announcing in about a week or so though!

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » August 2nd, 2014, 7:14 pm

Did you gather where it will be exactly? The Venue?

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 2nd, 2014, 7:28 pm

Yes, this will be in the Venue. It sounds like mid-month they'll be moving into the building, though I assume that's just for staff to start prepping.

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » August 4th, 2014, 1:11 am

My guesses are
- American Apparel
- H&M
- Urban Outfitters

...but I was thinking Uniqlo til you said the upcoming Venue retailer already has locations in the metro.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 4th, 2014, 1:30 am

Unfortunately not. As much as that would win on campus. She said it wasn't any listed above and all of those were listed :(

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 4th, 2014, 9:20 am

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 4th, 2014, 10:56 am

If it's Abercrombie, Hollister, American Eagle, Buckle or Old Navy then they basically just shot themselves in the foot. College students don't really go to those stores. They're slowly dieing out in local malls

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » August 4th, 2014, 11:12 am

If it's Abercrombie, Hollister, American Eagle, Buckle or Old Navy then they basically just shot themselves in the foot. College students don't really go to those stores. They're slowly dieing out in local malls
I still see plenty of college students wearing all of those brands.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 4th, 2014, 11:23 am

Really? Because whenever I go to parties at the U it's all the stuff we named before.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » August 4th, 2014, 11:41 am

Really? Because whenever I go to parties at the U it's all the stuff we named before.
Look less at parties and more on the street. You may be seeing a trend where there's really only sampling error. ;)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 4th, 2014, 11:56 am

Well when it's just going to classes I'll be lazy too and where my older clothes. AKA Hollister, etc.