University of Minnesota - News & General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Current University of Minnesota Projects

Postby FISHMANPET » July 18th, 2013, 9:41 am

With as crunched as we are for space in the East Bank, I think this is a good place to grow. I just hope all this activity helps to better connect the stadium area with the rest of East Bank. As it stands now whenever I go that way I feel like I'm leaving campus in some way.

Orbi
Block E

Postby Orbi » July 18th, 2013, 9:33 pm

Having just moved into the Cancer/Cardio research building, myself and many of my coworkers are feeling a little removed from campus. As beautiful as the building is and thankful I am for the new space, I really wish it was on the other side of the stadium. I would love it if some of the new housing/commercial development in stadium village would migrate out our way.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 18th, 2013, 10:24 pm

Welcome to the board, Orbi!

I also wish that development would move your way. I'm glad that Stadium Village is booming like it is, but Washington's getting a bit unbalanced. After the Sally's development and WaHu go up, the Chipotle/Punch building will be the only thing keeping Washington from having nothing shorter than 3 stories on the south side between Walnut and University, and nothing taller than 2 stories on the north side. I think I've heard rumors on this forum that the new parking lot behind the Stadium Village station is going to be the next University building, whatever it is.

As far as private development goes, my bet for the next building to get redeveloped in SV is the ValU Liquor building. No specific reason, just a hunch. That being said, what I'd like to see would be a 10-11 story building on the Chipotle/Punch site. Another 6-story building adjacent to SVF and the Edge would get monotonous, but a those buildings flanking a taller building right on the corner would look pretty cool.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Orbi
Block E

Postby Orbi » July 19th, 2013, 7:44 pm

I would love to see some serious redevelopment of that side of Washington - you're right it is nothing over 2 stories and virtually the entire block on all sides is under developed. I think it would be cool to see the street across from the alumni center park filled in but leaving the Stub and Herb's building intact. Maybe the city could even move the fire station and abandon that little street next to it to free up some development opportunities - probably not financially feasible but fun to dream.

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: University of Minnesota

Postby Nick » July 30th, 2013, 6:54 pm

A while back a poster drew up a theoretical progression of the apartment market around the U of M that included "...and then you'll see landlords offering a free month's rent..." and I see that the main page of the Minnesota Daily's website has a banner ad that does that right now--refresh it a few times if it doesn't come up right away. A cursory search on Craigslist also appears to have some pretty good deals, at least compared to when I apartment/house shopped four years ago. I wonder if they're starting to get close to saturated?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 30th, 2013, 8:27 pm

I see it, but it's for 813 University, an old apartment building, not the new luxury ones. However, The Station appears to be having some trouble filling up for its first year as well. This bodes pretty poorly for the luxury student housing market, if the existing ones are having trouble filling, and three (four?) more open up next year, each of them bigger than any of the current new luxury buildings.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 31st, 2013, 12:12 am

I think The Station has been offering those perks since the beginning, so they may not be doing it purely because they're having a hard time filling space. Though they're also offering lower rent, so maybe it is.

But if an older building is lowering rents I'd say that's great. And if the amount of luxury apartments is causing the luxury rates to fall a bit, I'm OK with that too. I suspect the rents in these luxury apartments can fall quite a bit and the buildings will still stay profitable.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 19th, 2013, 6:26 pm

http://www.complex.com/art-design/2013/ ... win-cities

Obviously these lists are just click-baits, but I have to disagree with the premise of putting it anywhere near the "bottom 50." I wouldn't say it's the most idyllic campus out there, but plenty of great architecture and variety as well between Folwell, Pillsbury, the Mall's revival w/columns, Eddy, Weisman, and more modern buildings like McNamara, New Sci Classroom, etc. Also liked the part where they leave out Cass Gilbert as an architect (designed the Mall) as an architect, and also claim it was "originally" designed as a commuter campus.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 19th, 2013, 7:02 pm

No doubt, the authors of the list visited every institution of higher learning in the country, carefully assessing each, before putting together this ranking. The academic rigor of the exercise is self-evident.

mulad

Postby mulad » September 19th, 2013, 7:19 pm

I think the West Bank is a stinker, but most of the rest of the campus is fine. MIT should be on the list somewhere -- It's very gray.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » September 20th, 2013, 8:42 am

Ha I would also like to know the authors methodology and what makes an attractive campus. I also like that the photo used to portray the U have very little brutalist architecture in it. haha

emcee squared
Metrodome

Postby emcee squared » September 21st, 2013, 8:51 pm

If they were trying to say the campus is ugly, then why use such a beautiful picture? A picture of the West Bank in the winter would have been much better.

Also, was the U a commuter campus? I've never heard that before.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 22nd, 2013, 9:04 am

Yes, it was a major commuter campus from the 70s to about the late 90s when the U started a concerted effort to bring more students back to campus as they realized people didn't have an emotional tie to the university (which was hurting grad rates, retention, donation levels later in life, etc etc). You really started to see a big push for a lot more amenities, events, housing, etc to make people want to live near campus.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 22nd, 2013, 5:10 pm

Highlights from the U of M area during my picture-taking bike ride today:

1.) I saw a CPM Real Estate "For Sale" sign in the yard of a single family house on University Avenue. That feels significant, or maybe it isn't.

2.) There's an Edina Realty "For Sale" sign in the window of Santana Foods at University and 6th.

3.) The drunk guy in a Packers jersey preventing me from taking a picture of the Opus development, while telling me that he was an American hero and that I was acting like I was in a frat.

4.) A black Lamborghini outside of the Hideway.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Postby TheUrbanGopher » September 27th, 2013, 8:10 am

The Jasmine Orchid and the First Care Pregnancy center in the U of MN Physicians Building (Stadium Village) have closed and will reopen as a Great Schezuan Chinese restaurant. Really really sad to see the Orchid go, as it was the only Thai restaurant in the area (and was very good).

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 27th, 2013, 8:45 am

Oh, I'll miss Jasmine Orchid. I wish I had known it was closing, I would have made an effort to eat there again beforehand.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » September 27th, 2013, 9:31 am

Also, the former U of M Market space is being worked on, and has a sign naming the new restaurant as "Abdul's Afandy" (which apparently has a site already in NE).

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 27th, 2013, 12:48 pm

I'll miss the pregnancy center. Good times.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 27th, 2013, 12:59 pm

I'll miss the pregnancy center. Good times.
For the win.

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Postby TheUrbanGopher » October 14th, 2013, 7:54 am

I've been part-time columnistizing at the Daily. Fun, laid back gig.

http://mndaily.com/opinion/columns/2013 ... ice-safety