The 700 on Washington - (700 Washington Avenue Southeast)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Re: 301 Walnut (Sally's Building)

Postby 612transplant » March 1st, 2013, 12:09 pm

Grrrr! Iowa! Except I have family in Bettendorf and Cedar Rapids...

ajohnson02011
Block E

Postby ajohnson02011 » March 1st, 2013, 1:40 pm

Wow! Did not see this one coming.

Truthfully, I myself thought the next block to be redevelopment would be, sadly, but the corner of Washington and Oak where Stub and Herb's currently is. I think that surface lot behind their building is far too appealing to a developer, not to mention the fact that they could include the Jimmy Johns building and possibly even the Bona and Papa John's being into the redevelopment site too.

It's really interesting that CPM is developing this one too, obviously not knowing the status of the WaHu development. I currently live at SVF in a 940 square foot 2 bedroom unit and it kind of concerns me that no 2 bedroom unit in this new building is over 900 square feet, some even under 700. It's going to be a tight squeeze!

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Postby TheUrbanGopher » March 1st, 2013, 4:12 pm

I'm not terribly surprised that this is going up, but I had no idea CPM owned the building. This is the last surface parking lot facing Washington (unless you count the entrance by Stub & Herbs and the entrance near Burger King).

I think if I remember correctly, this isn't even on the docket for the Stadium Village master plan slated for redevelopment, although I could be wrong. This will almost complete Washington between Church & Huron as one of the most walkable streets in the city.

The only problem with this isn't necessarily itself, but the 6-story height uniformity with the Station, SVF, and the Edge on Oak might make Washington feel more tunnel-vision-y.

I guess it can't get much worse than Moos Tower, though.

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » March 1st, 2013, 4:48 pm

I would have bet money that this site would not have been developed in the near future! I'm glad I'm wrong. Additionally, I'm also glad Sally's is moving back into the ground floor. It will keep things familiar.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 1st, 2013, 4:49 pm

I also hate Iowa. Too bad my mother in law lives in Coralville and that whole family are Hawk fans. Ugh.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 1st, 2013, 5:52 pm

The only problem with this isn't necessarily itself, but the 6-story height uniformity with the Station, SVF, and the Edge on Oak might make Washington feel more tunnel-vision-y.
We'll have our light rail in a tunnel after all!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 2nd, 2013, 12:14 pm

This project has a great playful use of bold color. We need more of this in Minneapolis! Stands out along Washington in a fun way in contrast to the other buildings. The street level is good. I actually like the "visual tunnel" occuring along here with other high density buildings nearby. For me it's a testament to the maturation of our city with less gaps in the urban fabric.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 6th, 2013, 11:25 pm

Apparently Sally's will definitely survive the redevelopment.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/03/0 ... ebuilt-it/

The owner seems to be the one looking for the land to be developed.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 7th, 2013, 5:11 am

Awesome. Glad to see the "Sally's" sign on the rendering wasn't just a placeholder. Now if we can get the tattoo parlor to take the third retail slot instead of Toppers, I'll be really happy.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 7th, 2013, 10:05 am

Bustin' a walnut for this project!

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 7th, 2013, 10:05 am

Awesome. Glad to see the "Sally's" sign on the rendering wasn't just a placeholder. Now if we can get the tattoo parlor to take the third retail slot instead of Toppers, I'll be really happy.
That was my biggest worry. Without it, where will I get my 40th tattoo after a night of binge drinking following a loss to such football powerhouses as South Dakota and New Mexico St???

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 7th, 2013, 10:09 am

That was my biggest worry. Without it, where will I get my 40th tattoo after a night of binge drinking following a loss to such football powerhouses as South Dakota and New Mexico St???
Alternatively, you could drunkenly write a letter to the editor of the Daily.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 13th, 2013, 9:23 am

The Daily has a feature on this today. The sale only goes through if Sally's gets a place in the new building, and it sounds like they're doing their best to get Gold Country and Steady Tattoo to make the jump too. This should help quiet all the Dinkytown 'residents' that act like its impossible for a local business to get/keep a spot in a new apartment building.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 13th, 2013, 10:35 am

The Daily has a feature on this today. The sale only goes through if Sally's gets a place in the new building, and it sounds like they're doing their best to get Gold Country and Steady Tattoo to make the jump too. This should help quiet all the Dinkytown 'residents' that act like its impossible for a local business to get/keep a spot in a new apartment building.
Sets a great precedent, anyway!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 13th, 2013, 3:21 pm

Apparently someone at one point floated the idea of a building on this site that would have a skyway connection over Walnut to the Station, which was rejected because it didn't leave room for Sally's. I'm normally all about skyways, both downtown and on campus, but this one seems like a remarkably stupid idea, unless both buildings were to go big and include a second level of retail.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 13th, 2013, 9:21 pm

And I am almost always fundamentally against skyways, both downtown and on campus, so this is no big deal to me. :)

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 21st, 2013, 4:06 pm

The Star Tribune had an article on this today. Not much new info, but it appears that my earlier guess that this might be a bit cheaper than other new buildings was wrong - a studio will still go for ~$940/mo.

Also, I can assure you that the student they interviewed said a lot of really interesting, insightful things about campus development, but they just didn't make it into the article. ;)
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 22nd, 2013, 3:08 pm

With all this development going on, one would think those laws of supply and demand would start kicking in and prove my theory wrong about developers charging whatever the hell they want simply because they can, right? Especially when the same 3 developers own basically all the mid to high-rise structures...

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 22nd, 2013, 4:29 pm

With all this development going on, one would think those laws of supply and demand would start kicking in and prove my theory wrong about developers charging whatever the hell they want simply because they can, right? Especially when the same 3 developers own basically all the mid to high-rise structures...
They must be pricing the market correctly, huh? Who knew there were so many people out there who could afford $2+/SF rent?!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 22nd, 2013, 8:51 pm

You can set what ever price you want, people will either pay it, or your building will set empty if you are priced too high.