Rampton Apartments - (201 2nd Avenue Southeast)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Rampton Apartments - (201 2nd Avenue Southeast)

Postby lordmoke » May 16th, 2013, 4:21 pm

From the CPC CoW:
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 108603.pdf

"Redevelopment of an existing parking ramp with the addition of 51 dwelling units on the east side and 42 dwelling units above the top floor."

This is the St. Anthony Main ramp. The project is named Rampton. This is awesome, but also hilarious and somewhat strange.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Rampton Apartments (201 2nd Ave SE)

Postby seanrichardryan » May 16th, 2013, 5:11 pm

Strange indeed, but also really creative. That ramp was overbuilt for an exciting 1980s vision that never came to fruition over there. It is connected by a tunnel to Riverplace. They might actually breath some life into that corner.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 16th, 2013, 5:16 pm

That is the best serious pun of ALL time. Maybe this could be a new construction model for (R/H)ampton Inn

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » May 16th, 2013, 5:29 pm

The clock is ticking on the surface parking lot across the street from here. :D

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » May 16th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Very interesting, indeed. A little weird that levels 1-7 have units on the side of the ramp, then there is a gap before levels 11 and 12 cover the top of the ramp. A creative use of space that will certainly improve the aesthetics of the ramp.
My flickr photos.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 16th, 2013, 8:00 pm

That is strange. I wonder if the new elevator shaft will have connections out to the ramp on every level, or if it'll only stop on floors 1-7, then 11-12. (Also, the Gross Area Calculations on page 3 show 8 levels of "linerhousing" apartments, while everything else says seven. Curiouser and curiouser.)
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » May 16th, 2013, 8:12 pm

Cool project in general, although I'm not sure how I feel about them vacating 20' of 2nd Ave S. Obviously they couldn't do much without vacating. Interesting that they propose nothing for the University Ave frontage.

Also, the cantilever over the sidewalk should be interesting.
"Who rescued whom!"

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » May 16th, 2013, 8:31 pm

The labor center across the street also had some plans to build apartments on the parking lot and drive thru bank next to their building. I think there was a press release late last year, but I have heard nothing since.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » May 16th, 2013, 8:41 pm

Rampton... I've never laughed so hard at something on here. That is fantastic. And I agree, that parking lot's days should be numbered, although that adjacent lot could hold some real density. Anybody know what it's zoned for?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 16th, 2013, 8:57 pm

Cool project in general, although I'm not sure how I feel about them vacating 20' of 2nd Ave S. Obviously they couldn't do much without vacating. Interesting that they propose nothing for the University Ave frontage.
It looks like there's only 20 ft. between the edge of the ramp and the property line on that side, which would make for narrow apartments after putting in a corridor, etc, and I doubt they could convince the city to give up any of the University Ave ROW.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » May 17th, 2013, 8:20 am

The parking lot across 2nd Ave is owned by General Mills and it's zoned I1, light industrial.

The proposed Rampton Apartments are currently zoned C2, neighborhood corridor commercial district.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » May 17th, 2013, 8:22 am

Light industrial ... interesting. I've always thought something big, multiple buildings with some green space, would be best for this site - you know, like every site. I wouldn't think General Mills would ever expand on this site, but what do I know?

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » May 17th, 2013, 8:40 am

I just noticed that it's in an Industrial Living overlay district. Without getting into too much detail, these districts are "...established to encourage the rehabilitation and reuse of existing industrial structures and to provide for limited residential and retail uses in the I1 and I2 Industrial Districts where such uses are compatible with other uses in the area."

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 17th, 2013, 10:43 am

Like if General Mills were to move it's headquarters to those blocks... I wouldn't mind... lol

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 17th, 2013, 11:23 am

Very interesting, indeed. A little weird that levels 1-7 have units on the side of the ramp, then there is a gap before levels 11 and 12 cover the top of the ramp. A creative use of space that will certainly improve the aesthetics of the ramp.
I'm guessing it's the same reason everything else is 6 or 7 stories. It'll probably be a concrete base with 6 stories of stick built on top. They're probably not really tying into the structure of the parking ramp for the side building.

And I guess now we finally know what it takes to get a residential project built in this city without a parking component.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 17th, 2013, 12:05 pm

....being attached to an underused ramp that sells monthly contracts for $50/month.

Seth
Metrodome

Postby Seth » May 17th, 2013, 1:41 pm

Super bizarre and rather unattractive. Maybe if they increased the height of the apartments to match the height of the ramp and wrapped the University side it would look somewhat decent. Looks to me like they're doing the cheapest solution they can to meet their requirement stated in the project summary of the development proposal. If this gets built I'd just hope that from street level it's hard to notice the weird monster that was created.

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » May 17th, 2013, 4:40 pm

A perfect place for Cuningham Group's employees to live.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 17th, 2013, 6:36 pm

I think I would have gone with 'RampArt201'.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 18th, 2013, 7:49 am

Super bizarre and rather unattractive. Maybe if they increased the height of the apartments to match the height of the ramp and wrapped the University side it would look somewhat decent. Looks to me like they're doing the cheapest solution they can to meet their requirement stated in the project summary of the development proposal. If this gets built I'd just hope that from street level it's hard to notice the weird monster that was created.
It's probably a lot harder to get a variance on set back and units overhanging the sidewalk for Big Ole University Avenue than it is for little 2nd ave...

It would have been nice to have a few Units on the West side of the building (though it looks to be on it's property line) to disguise the ramp from the direction you can actually drive on University... Maybe if the "Rampton" starts doing well they can afford some sort of cool decorative facade for the most exposed views of the ramp.

Also, YAY retail right? What do we suppose might go in there? It's a little detached, but there are a fair amount of people living around there.