Corner Apartments - (2nd St NE and 1st Ave NE)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
swmpls
City Center

Corner Apartments - (2nd St NE and 1st Ave NE)

Postby swmpls » June 7th, 2013, 9:25 pm

Not sure if we had a topic on this here and I missed it or if I was just remembering it from Minnescraper, but this one is back (with four fewer floors)

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 109087.pdf

I do like how small the parcel is that they're filling up.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Corner Apartments

Postby FISHMANPET » June 7th, 2013, 10:34 pm

Nice to see a project with no parking, I assume they're trying to say that the parking ramp next door is good enough. Also it looks like they're going to do some cladding on that ramp?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 7th, 2013, 11:13 pm

I love it!

So this was supposed to be 10 floors huh? I wonder why the developer sat on his/her hands for so long only to lop off four floors? I think it could have looked pretty sweet at 10 floors, and not just because 10 is bigger than 6, but because with such a small footprint it could have given an optical illusion of something taller, and skinnier high-rises have a lot of charm in my opinion. A good example of this is the 6 floor "high-rise" on 50th Street near France Ave (can't remember its name). It's far from a high-rise, but because it's so skinny it looks like one.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » June 8th, 2013, 6:17 am

I figured this project was dead. Glad to see some updates.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 8th, 2013, 8:22 am

Yeah, this is a pretty great addition to NE, hopefully can spur some great synergy into the Superior Plating Site... NE has SO much potential, I want a 2nd Skyline! lol...

mulad

Postby mulad » June 8th, 2013, 11:04 am

Nice to see a project with no parking, I assume they're trying to say that the parking ramp next door is good enough. Also it looks like they're going to do some cladding on that ramp?
Yeah, they include a mini-skyway connection on the 2nd floor to the parking ramp. I'm not quite sure I'd call that "cladding", but then I don't know the industry terms well enough. But yes, it looks like some large panels will be added (p. 12 of the PDF).

I'll be curious to see how the live/work units on the ground floor turn out. Each one will have two entrances -- one "retail" entrance at sidewalk level and another "residential" entrance up a few steps. Are those required to have businesses in them, or would they also be available just as living units? Not that I'd ever choose to be in one (I prefer to have at least some 2nd-floor space for privacy) but they might work well for someone who's disabled -- no elevator or extra doors to worry about on the way in and out.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 8th, 2013, 11:14 am

Interesting that they've made the ground floor extra-tall (15'-0"), but not tall enough for anybody to squeeze in a mezzanine.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 8th, 2013, 11:17 am

When I was in Vancouver I went with my wife to a yarn shop that was a live work space (yarn store in front, go up the stairs or behind the curtain and you're in the live part). I think it gave the area an interesting feel, it would be nice to see some stores like that in this area.

twincitizen

Re: Corner Apartments - (2nd St NE and 1st Ave NE)

Postby twincitizen » June 10th, 2013, 10:58 am

Very cool smaller scale infill. It even has the much-coveted private residence entrances on the ground floor.

And yes, hopefully the Superior Plating block(s?) and West Photo/US Bank block are next!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 10th, 2013, 11:30 am

Like the use of brick with metal panel and they avoid using concrete board on the exterior. I agree with everybody this is a great infill project, and contributes to the character and urban feel of this neighborhood. Just a few more infill projects to fill in the gaps and this area will look very cohesive. We're making progress!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 10th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Does anybody know the unit count on this project? The 10-story version originally proposed was for 94 units.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 11th, 2013, 10:47 am

You would think that once the Trolley gets approved to go from Central to downtown, that this part of Nordeast would explode. Would be beyond convenient for downtown workers!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 17th, 2013, 11:18 am

This needed HPC approval, I guess. It got it- glad to see this is still moving forward.
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/meeting ... S1P-115635

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » October 17th, 2013, 11:56 am

Does anybody know the unit count on this project? The 10-story version originally proposed was for 94 units.
56 units

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » October 18th, 2013, 9:16 am

This needed HPC approval, I guess. It got it- glad to see this is still moving forward.
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/meeting ... S1P-115635
I received a notice of a public hearing on this project a few days ago (mailed to all residents that live within 300 feet of the proposed building). I'm not going but it's still moving through the channels.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 2nd, 2013, 6:38 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 2nd, 2013, 2:00 pm

Just what we need in this town: another flimsy six story stick frame apartment building with warped siding. I wish the developer could be patient and just sit on this for awhile. As market conditions continue to improve for condos downtown, they could probably afford to put up a better quality building in a couple years.

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » November 2nd, 2013, 5:47 pm

You're right john but something is better than nothing. Like I'd rather have a cheap 6 story than a parking lot. Because we have these apartment buildings and as the condo market improves you will have condos built on other sites. So no problem exists.

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » November 2nd, 2013, 5:50 pm

However I've always wondered how long can these buildings last, like will they just have to be reconstructed? Like two stories of wood starts to creak in 30 years. What shape will 5 stories be in in that time frame?

garfield
City Center

Postby garfield » November 3rd, 2013, 11:37 pm

I was talking to a project manager the other day...we were working on a four story building. Let's say each floor shrinks 1/2" due to the wood drying out, temperature, humidity changes, etc. On a stick-framed six-story building, you are talking three inches! That is a lot of movement for most construction materials, and definitely a lot of movement for cheap construction materials. I think in 15-20 years the buildings built today will have to undergo major renovations, possibly reconstructed. In the construction industry, I guess we can consider that job security. But for the banks lending the money and the insurance companies covering these projects, it could be very bad news.