Dinkytown Hotel - (1300 block of 4th Ave SE)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
mplser
US Bank Plaza

Re: Doran Dinkytown Development

Postby mplser » January 17th, 2014, 3:27 pm

I know it's totally unrelated to this project, but does anyone know why The buildings with the Hideaway and the post office are set back so far from the street? I always thought this was strange.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 20th, 2014, 1:49 pm

No answer for that question... Maybe it's come up during the SAP process?

Another random question.. Is there any hope for this hotel to have ground-floor retail? If it's not an apartment they basically get all the space noted as office/mail room/package and the whole residential entrance walkway back. How much room does a lobby/desk/waiting area consume for an urban hotel like this (I've been in European hotels where the main level area was maybe 850 sqft)? Would be great to find a restaurant or 2 to take over that space (instead of providing a breakfast area and kitchen) and just give coupons to hotel guests for the area. Will we see new renderings/floorplans anytime soon?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » January 20th, 2014, 1:55 pm

New renderings, bigger, MUCH better looking:
http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/241161911.html

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 20th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Guess I shoulda been on the Strib site :)

Just gonna edit my post to save space here.

- Looks like they're keeping 4k sqft of retail (previous was 4,700)
- Seems the faux second story fronting the street is now a real second level with only 4 above it
- The building loses a lot of vertical massing with the big patio above the ramp entrance (which is also set further back from the street), but gains some back by building out to lower level building walls in the back
- Nice use of a second setback along the front for the top story, IMO, and also that both setbacks are proposed to have balconies - this should be a very active building front with the patio, retail, and balconies.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 20th, 2014, 2:47 pm

Cool! If that second-level patio gets used a lot, I think this will be a cool addition to 4th.

I'm wondering why the house on 13th needs to be demolished, though, since the first rendering doesn't show the building extending east of the Post Office property line at all. Not that I'm particularly attached to it, but it would be a shame to tear it down just for construction access and leave it an empty lot.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 20th, 2014, 2:57 pm

One of the articles has Doran saying it would be for a small surface parking lot - potentially ZipCar spaces or also for guests. I'm not wild about losing a (admittedly mediocre architecturally) old home just for some surface spots.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 20th, 2014, 3:16 pm

Argh. More surface parking is the last thing Dinkytown needs. Though maybe it'll help blunt some of the SD fury? They do love their surface parking.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 21st, 2014, 10:55 am

I know the answer even before I ask the question ("cost"), but why don't more developers try to infuse the pre-existing infrastructure with any new developments -- in this case, keep the existing 1-2 story buildings that serve as street retail and build apartments above?

How much more could it be vs. how much easier would the project fly through approvals?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 21st, 2014, 10:56 am

One of the articles has Doran saying it would be for a small surface parking lot - potentially ZipCar spaces or also for guests. I'm not wild about losing a (admittedly mediocre architecturally) old home just for some surface spots.
I honestly thought that the city literally "outlawed" removing existing buildings for the sake of surface parking? Or maybe that was just a proposal??

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 21st, 2014, 1:30 pm

Watch and see if historic preservation jumps the shark at 4:30 today: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/hpc/WCMS1P-119148

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 21st, 2014, 4:27 pm

Is this meeting webcast or not? I don't see a link..

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 21st, 2014, 4:35 pm

SD claims is not. Is anybody there that can liveblog?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 21st, 2014, 5:06 pm

For what it's worth, a Daily report is there livetweeting, though either he's not very good at it or nothing is happening, because there have only been 4 tweets so far (plus one of RT when he came into office, I'm sure this kid was like 12 back then)
https://twitter.com/nicolashallett

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 21st, 2014, 5:13 pm

Eric Roper is now at the event as well:

https://twitter.com/StribRoper

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 21st, 2014, 5:46 pm

Roper:
HPC denies demolition permit, recommends interim protection of one building. Looks like this will be first test of new, pro-density Council
Not surprising. Seems CPED is quick to approve and HPC is quick to deny demolition and the real decision comes from the Council. Roper is right on this being their first test (even if it's for a hotel).

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 21st, 2014, 6:47 pm

If the Opus development got through the old council, I'm optimistic that this one will get through the new, more pro-development council.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 21st, 2014, 9:25 pm

Because the bar is set so incredibly low, good comments on Star Tribune articles are just breathtaking:
Old doesn't always mean historical. The problem is that a lot of people, especially those who went to the U, associate Dinktytown with their youth. They perceive changes to Dinkytown as destroying part of their youth and the memories they might have from spending time in Dinkytown. I understand those feelings but you can't stop development because of it. I'm not a huge fan of change either but I really don't see a problem with this plan.
Regarding this eventual vote that will take place at the Z&P committee, expect the opinions of Lisa Bender and Jacob Frey (not on committee, but represents the area) to weigh heavily.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 21st, 2014, 9:26 pm

Warms the heart on this, the coldest of days.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 21st, 2014, 10:35 pm

It honestly baffles me how people portray these changes as being inconsequential to the current vibe of Dinkytown. The entire nature of the neighborhood is going to change from tattoo parlors and dirty pizza joints to high rises and Target Expresses.

This change doesn't necessarily mean it's for the worse. That's for everyone to determine for themselves. But let's be honest, the character of the neighborhood is changing, and in the case of the Doran development this stretch is not exactly a surface parking lot in dire need of redevelopment.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 21st, 2014, 10:37 pm

It was before a board that analyzes structures for historical relevance, not categories of businesses.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4