Northside - News & General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
twincitizen

Re: Northside - General Topics

Postby twincitizen » July 1st, 2015, 3:25 pm

The real question is if Barb Johnson has the votes to carve out her Northside exemption. Does Blong Yang agree with her? (Because presumably she's talking about Wards 4 and 5, not just her Ward 4). I don't think Barb has 7 votes for such a ridiculous exemption.

Honest to god, I would rather see the whole policy watered down than see a geographic exemption. There are poor, car-dependent people in other areas besides North.

If a compromise must be struck, I'd really like to retain the zero parking requirements for "small" buildings, and find room for compromise on the requirement for large buildings. I too thought 50 units was a little high. 2800 Grand (my previous residence) is a 49-unit 2.5-story building that's nearly half a block long. Not a small apartment building. That's a medium-large building in most parts of town. I could compromise on the 50-unit threshold as well.

No geographic compromises for North though. Totally unacceptable.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 1st, 2015, 3:30 pm

Definitely, but it's clearly a chicken and the egg type thing, which is why one might take deliberate steps forward rather than one big jump.
Granted, this change is a small step. But it is still a deliberate step forward. A step which creates more walkability and more demand for transit equity. A step that doesn't take away any parking. A step that doesn't make it harder to build new parking. A deliberate, yet small, step forward.

And it sounds like Barb Johnson may only be able to get another two or three votes for her amendment. I hear Blong is more on the fence than pro-Johnson amendment.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 1st, 2015, 3:39 pm

Yeah, I don't see why it's a "big jump" because it won't force anybody to drastically change anything they do. Developers can continue to build the exact amount of parking the would build normally. If they want to build 1 space per dwelling unit, they are more than welcome to do that. I just don't see what the "big jump" is that we're making.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » July 14th, 2015, 10:10 am

Nice to see some buildings associated with the lumber history of North getting some protection attention:
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 143571.pdf

I've particularly always liked 4400 N Lyndale.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Re: Webber Park Pool

Postby billhelm » August 3rd, 2015, 12:49 pm

this pool finally opened a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.startribune.com/webber-park- ... 318709441/

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » August 13th, 2015, 10:15 am

Story about the brewery/taproom going in at the Fruen Mill in Harrison:

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/ne ... -mill-site

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 13th, 2015, 11:17 am

Been a long time coming and it's nice to see. But it's super-annoying, even offensive, that it's named "Bryn Mawr Brewing." It's like they don't want to be associated with the neighborhood they're actually in.

There's a bit of history between Harrison and Bryn Mawr. They're kind of stepping on a landmine.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 13th, 2015, 11:35 am

The Fruen Mill is actually (barely) in Bryn Mawr: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 264617.pdf

It's the little nub of land east of the Creek at the very north.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 13th, 2015, 12:08 pm

Oh weird. I had no idea the boundaries didn't follow the creek there.

I stand corrected.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 13th, 2015, 12:09 pm

Yeah, but the brewery won't actually be in the mill, so it's technically not.

But... I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually matter. Fulton brewery isn't in Fulton, and Harriet brewery isn't anywhere near Harriet. The people who'd get all lathered up about this probably aren't any fun at taprooms anyway.

And objectively, regardless of whatever baggage one or the other might carry, Bryn Mawr is a better name than Harrison.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 13th, 2015, 2:47 pm

Bryn Mawr is just a great name for things, period. Every city should have a Bryn Mawr (and several do!)

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 13th, 2015, 4:01 pm

And objectively, regardless of whatever baggage one or the other might carry, Bryn Mawr is a better name than Harrison.
True. I wasn't suggesting Harrison as a name. Just pointing out that names matter. There's some history here to pay attention to, that's all. Not a huge deal.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 13th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Glenwood Inglebrew

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 7th, 2015, 9:52 am

Good news for housing on the Northside. Going down Penn the other day I saw that the huge Penn and Broadway apartment complex is now doing footings and basement work. This project is in the infant stages so far. Down the road at Penn and Glenwood that project is well on it's way to completion. An outside chance that people maybe be able to move in before the first of the year if the inside is as close to finished as the outside.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 19th, 2015, 3:22 pm

Lawyer-owned winery gets brewery startup to change name
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... inery.html

Bryn Mawr Brewing, which called itself that after its Minneapolis brewery-to-be's Bryn Mawr neighborhood, is now Utepils Brewing Co. Justesen already held the trademark for the "Utepils," a Norwegian term for the first beer enjoyed outdoors after winter ends.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 5th, 2016, 2:15 pm

2nd Ave N and Van White redevelopment plan passed by CDRS after a few passive aggressive shots at Cano by Goodman.

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 171359.pdf

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 12th, 2016, 2:05 pm

I don't think this had come across previously, but a wine-focused liquor store recently opened on Glenwood near the IMS: http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/he ... op-7957241

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 25th, 2016, 4:59 pm

http://tcbmag.com/Industries/Politics-P ... Lacks-Jobs

Spurned Turf: Why Minneapolis' Northside Lacks Jobs
Few businesses are located in the city's poorest quadrant. Can anyone change that?

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 25th, 2016, 6:20 pm

Wow, you guys should really give that a read. Good tidbits in there. 1st, This Richard Copeland guy wants to lead the private sector into doing something by moving his business, Thor Construction, to North Minny by 2017. 2nd, he's in talks with up to 10 other substantial businesses to come with him, and they are planning something big:

"For his part, Thor’s Richard Copeland is envisioning something more expansive—a big-picture, ambitious vision driven by business, not politics.

“We are also talking about building housing, we’re talking about building commercial space and we’re talking about building sustainable space,” he says. “We’re asking for supporters and partners in this effort, but we’ve got to take the lead. The African-American business community needs to lead that initiative. We need to train our community to be a world-class contributor to this economy.”

Also:
St. Paul-based Wellington Management previously developed the Penn-Lowry Crossing retail center in North Minneapolis, where tenants include Aldi, Family Dollar and Subway, national retailers catering to consumers with limited disposable income.

Steve Wellington, president of Wellington Management, says that he’s hoping to unveil plans for another project on West Broadway later this year, but declined to provide details.

The rest of the article talks about the socioeconomic challenges of the North Side residents, but also talks about the difficulty in building businesses in Near north compared to West Broadway mainly due to available land. I'd guess Copeland's site will be in one of the two areas.

winterfan
Metrodome

Postby winterfan » February 25th, 2016, 6:44 pm

That's a good article. I see two separate issues though. One is providing employment opportunities for North Mpls residents. The other is general investment by businesses. They aren't always aligned.

I can see the more businesses (like DC Group mentioned in the article) setting on the River Rd area. That area is fairly accessible to young workers who are moving to the North Loop/NE Mpls. Uptown Heating also relocated to that area. I think the challenge is getting businesses to the other side of 94.

I don't frequent the North side all that often, but has the relocation of the MPS HQ had any direct effect on the area? That's a pretty big employer.