Nord Haus - 315 1st Ave NE (208' - 20 Stories)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Superior Plating site

Postby grant1simons2 » March 26th, 2015, 9:50 am

https://lennar.app.box.com/s/41bq823ck0 ... b7bc41d1yq

Some updated plans that they'll be presenting to the CoW on April 2nd. Found them on the Neibna site.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 26th, 2015, 10:19 am

Looks pretty cool, and not quite 100 retail spaces.

The restaurant patio space on 1st Avenue would be great, but even way better if the road can be calmed a bit.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 26th, 2015, 10:23 am

Pretty soon we're going to need a word filter on "woonerf" to change it to "private street". The one in this proposal and UP/Greco's 729 Washington proposal are not really woonerfs...they're "shared space that provides access to a parking ramp"

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 26th, 2015, 12:02 pm

Maybe nitpicking, but is that much different than the living streets in NL/etc that filter car through-traffic with barriers every several blocks (among other methods), providing private car access to smaller attached/detached homes on a shared space for peds/cyclists? :)

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » March 26th, 2015, 5:16 pm

Yes. The point of a woonerf is that children should be able to use the majority of the street for playspace. If they are fenced in by bollards to using only the edges of the street, then it is not a woonerf. Ergo and thusly, the space proposed by Lennar Corporation is not a woonerf.
"Who rescued whom!"

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 26th, 2015, 5:31 pm

Twenty stories now, up from eighteen. Take that, Opus.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 27th, 2015, 9:00 am

Yes. The point of a woonerf is that children should be able to use the majority of the street for playspace. If they are fenced in by bollards to using only the edges of the street, then it is not a woonerf. Ergo and thusly, the space proposed by Lennar Corporation is not a woonerf.
I was mostly joking (focusing on the "private parking access" side of things), but I didn't see that there'd be bollards separating pedestrians from vehicle traffic. I agree with you, although I've seen many slip lanes on boulevards or mostly pedestrianized spaces that still have bollards for when delivery vehicles/etc roll through to give a little definition to the space. In this case, the spaces seems wide enough that cars will travel fast enough to keep this from being a space where peds really just mingle in the street (though will probably cross at will).

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » March 27th, 2015, 10:51 am

Sorry for the classic internet move of meeting humor with pedantics, but I'm still stinging from how Steve Minn got away with calling his parking lot a woonerf. I find it particularly tragic that these skeezy developers have seized on woonerf for their buzzword, since it really can emcompass lots of things and be a very open term. Certainly woonerven can include bollards to delineate certain space, but you have to set look at the preponderance of the evidence, and just like Steve Minn's space primarily functions as a parking lot, not an area for recreational activity, this space mostly functions as a parking ramp access drive. It looks like it will accommodate pedestrians and cyclists well and be attractive as well as functional, but it is most certainly not a woonerf.
"Who rescued whom!"

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 27th, 2015, 12:32 pm

Going before Committee of the Whole (CoW) on 4/2: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 139351.pdf

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » March 30th, 2015, 4:06 pm

21 and 30 stories. Are there any churches, mosques or synagogues that we have to worry about?

Enrique612
Block E

Postby Enrique612 » March 30th, 2015, 6:36 pm

Yep 21 stories and a slight dip in parking! The 2nd phase isnt planned to start construction until late 2017...oh and no churches in this immediate area and I havent heard about any significant NIMBY backlash on this project yet:

http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/de ... ting-tower

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » March 30th, 2015, 8:42 pm

no churches in this immediate area and I havent heard about any significant NIMBY backlash on this project yet
I don't think you will either. In fact, everyone that I have spoken with in the neighborhood is thrilled that the site is finally being redeveloped as it was an eyesore for decades.

I have to say that the NIMBY bashing on this forum is getting a bit tiresome. There's something to be said for people who care and take an interest in their surroundings, no matter how misguided others personally think it is.

Sorry Enrique612, this really wasn't directed as much to your comment specifically as it was to the "discussions" in some of the other topics.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 30th, 2015, 8:55 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » March 30th, 2015, 9:57 pm

Yeah, with regards to Nye's, can we at least remember that this is the same neighborhood that pushed for a high rise over stick at this site? I really don't think NIMBY is an appropriate word to throw at these people.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 30th, 2015, 10:10 pm

Eh, the neighborhood association is not the OLoL membership. I agree that it's important not to paint an entire neighborhood with the same broad brush you're using on a subset of it, especially a subset that may not even live in the area.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » March 31st, 2015, 12:09 am

21 and 30 stories. Are there any churches, mosques or synagogues that we have to worry about?
No, but there are children to worry about.
Meet me in Wells

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 31st, 2015, 7:35 am

I'd personally love living here for one reason: to watch the freight trains roll through all day.

Btw, I saw this "retail arcade" feature and, to me, it looks sort of like the gangway feature at 50th & France, except much darker. Is this the entrance for most of the retailers? If so, I worry about how successful any retail would be that can't be seen from the street AND is somewhat in the dark. The picture maybe doesn't do it justice, I don't know, but I just noticed it looking at the CoW scope.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » April 2nd, 2015, 6:32 am

No, but there are children to worry about.
All those children playing on first ave NE?

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » May 27th, 2015, 5:17 am

The newest design seems to be going over well.

http://m.startribune.com/local/minneapo ... 04281.html

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » June 5th, 2015, 10:21 am

Per Victor Grambsch, development review has begun and this should be before the planning commission in late June or early July.