Stadium Village

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
ProspectPete
Union Depot

Re: Stadium Village

Postby ProspectPete » September 25th, 2014, 11:57 am

Sorry, only Jamba Juice. The Wok is still going strong.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » September 25th, 2014, 3:54 pm

Good. It was always silly for there to be a Jamba Juice there AND in Coffman.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » September 26th, 2014, 9:35 am

Any more silly than having a Walgreens, CVS or now Target Express on just about every corner near campus? :mrgreen:

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » September 26th, 2014, 10:50 am

There is also a "Corner W" in stadium village. It is a smaller version of Walgreens.

Went to the Big Ten for dinner on Wednesday night, and it is amazing how much better Stadium Village is then even 3 years ago. Feels much more urban. I want to go back to college!

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » September 27th, 2014, 11:10 am

Any more silly than having a Walgreens, CVS or now Target Express on just about every corner near campus? :mrgreen:
...yes. Three stores competing in close proximity is not nearly as silly as the same store competing with itself in close proximity, if you ask me.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » September 29th, 2014, 8:46 am

...yes. Three stores competing in close proximity is not nearly as silly as the same store competing with itself in close proximity, if you ask me.
Clearly they ended up coming to your same conclusion (though I remember when I went to the U visiting them and having quite a wait or walk by them and see lines).

But there's a Starbucks in Coffman...and a Starbucks right across the street from where this Jamba Juice was (plus many more, including one opening in Dinkytown across from Target Express). On a campus so large it isn't necessarily an issue.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 29th, 2014, 8:58 am

There's also now a Starbucks in Lind Hall, basically right in the middle between the Coffman Starbucks and in the one in the Hotel.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 29th, 2014, 8:59 am

One of the things that we don't really know is, was there a rent increase coming. At this point the location is kind of on the very edge go the campus and foot traffic. Once WaHu housing is completed there will definitely be a greater numbers with foot traffic counts. Also the number of coffee drinkers far out weighs the juice drinkers. I'm sure that they will find another retailer very soon.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 5th, 2014, 6:17 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 26th, 2015, 4:22 pm

So I'm right next to the Stadium Village Mesa Pizza now, so I'm going there a lot for lunch. I've never seen it too busy, but I also got at weird off peak times. But also they're now advertising some crazy deals, like a large pepperoni or cheese pizza for $10, medium for $8, or small for $6. I wonder if they're having trouble competing against the Dinkytown Mesa and trying to drum up business or just normal marketing stuff.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 26th, 2015, 7:07 pm

So I'm right next to the Stadium Village Mesa Pizza now, so I'm going there a lot for lunch. I've never seen it too busy, but I also got at weird off peak times. But also they're now advertising some crazy deals, like a large pepperoni or cheese pizza for $10, medium for $8, or small for $6. I wonder if they're having trouble competing against the Dinkytown Mesa and trying to drum up business or just normal marketing stuff.
I wonder if the building they're in doesn't have something to do with it; they're on the edge of Stadium Village as it stands now, and they're not exactly easy to discover in their building unless you know where to look. With Punch just down the street, it's kind of a hard sell anyway.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 26th, 2015, 9:08 pm

I now go almost exclusively to Stadium Village Mesa because you can park there, but it's almost never busy at all.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 29th, 2015, 2:58 pm

If I was a more personable guy, I would be on a first name basis with the guy working the counter at Mesa every day.

up north
Block E

Postby up north » February 2nd, 2015, 12:15 pm

I wish those were there when I lived in Stadium Village a couple years back. Had to walk to Dinky to get to a CVS.

Then as soon as I move to Dinky all the lightrail construction is complete and there's now a CVS and a Walgreens.

mulad

Postby mulad » February 2nd, 2015, 8:18 pm

Back in my day, the Jamba Juice was the Harvard Market, and the CVS was Harvard Market East, and that's the way we liked it! (Actually, the CVS is almost certainly better than the old Harvard Market East, and the original Harvard Market was just a convenience store -- I mean, I went into the CityTarget in Dinkytown and there was actual ground beef for sale. I'm not sure if even the House of Hanson could get beyond Not Dogs -- which I always figured was more for shelf life concerns than any moral guidance, but I'm cynical on that front.)

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 2nd, 2015, 8:21 pm

More like Harvard markup amirite

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 3rd, 2015, 7:54 am

When people talked about going to the HarMar Mall when I were a freshman, I thought they were jokingly referring to the Harvard Market(s).

But really, our choices were the c-store in Centennial's basement or Harvard Market/East. Bleh.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 3rd, 2015, 9:14 am

I totally forgot about the C-Store. Many overpriced goods were purchased there using FlexDine dollars.

I'm really pretty jealous of kids going to the U these days. When I was there, the only new thing was the stadium (transferred in as a sophomore the same year it opened) and later the CVS in Dinkytown. Stadium Village was still pretty sleepy. And then we got all the disruption from multiple building renos, the gym construction, and the light rail. And it all opened after I graduated. Then places like Stadium Village and Dinkytown really boomed.

I suppose Mesa Pizza was about a buck cheaper though, so it wasn't all a loss.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » February 3rd, 2015, 11:27 am

Harvard Market was small, and had limited goods. HM East was about as rundown as can be. The asbestos tile flooring was breaking apart everywhere. The whole thing was disgusting. Still cannot believe people were actually mad to see it go.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 3rd, 2015, 2:24 pm

Not to mention Harvard Market East was the ultimate markup location. Some people really just want to cling to the status quo.