Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Silophant

Re: Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Postby Silophant » March 11th, 2018, 5:16 pm

Making a non-traditional street a Destination to mostly park on. Wooo.

Also, affordable ownership opportunities are all well and good, but I'd like to see more density than duplexes along the riverfront.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

J2arkitekt
City Center

Postby J2arkitekt » March 11th, 2018, 9:41 pm

I'm tremendously disappointed by these two proposals. They both make use of land that is not even part of the RFP (one only uses the rail right of way, the other takes huge swaths out of the park, redraws the boundaries of the RFP and ignores the 100' easement by required for the transmission lines by moving it). Both allude to attaching structural items to two adjacent buildings that are on the national historic registry. Both seem to enjoy providing just enough parking while using every inch of space for it. Both utilize buildings that a two stories above the small area plan maximum of four. Both ignore the historic buildings and context. They take a place that has so much history and character and actual erode at it. There are much better ways to approach this site. These proposals a huge disappointments.

EDIT: This article shows a third option. I assume it wasn't presented on the 8th. https://www.mynortheaster.com/news/deve ... t-parcels/

uncle phil
Metrodome

Re: Northeast (and Southeast) - General Topics

Postby uncle phil » March 12th, 2018, 11:57 pm

[/quote]

That's a lot of surface parking.

[/quote]

There are a lot of businesses and events that go in the buildings in that area that are pretty dependent on that surface parking.

J2arkitekt
City Center

Postby J2arkitekt » March 13th, 2018, 4:44 am

That's a lot of surface parking.

[/quote]

There are a lot of businesses and events that go in the buildings in that area that are pretty dependent on that surface parking.
[/quote]

Completely true, but these proposals talk about “district parking” while at the same time using every free inch for surface lots. Parking next to your building isn’t district parking; using a central parking ramp is. But these two proposals ignore that, offer parking on land that isn’t part of the RFP (the railway right-of-way between the bottling house and warehouse), while at the same time showing this active pedestrian use for the space. It’s absurd. They should at least have the courage to be honest and say that they chose the cheapest parking option and acknowledge that it wipes out the pedestrian use they are using to sell their schemes.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 2nd, 2018, 1:16 pm

Did we have record of the Ramada along 35W and Industrial becoming a "Delta Hotels | Marriott" hotel? Yikes how many marquees does one company need?
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 210589.pdf

BruiserB
City Center

Postby BruiserB » May 23rd, 2018, 8:53 am

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... store.html

Apparently CostCo bought a warehouse at 3311 Broadway St. NE on Sept 1st. Say it could fit a CostCo store, which would honestly be great if they could re-use an older industrial building instead of building a whole new store.
The signs are on the building and there's a banner saying the store is opening on June 27th.

BruiserB
City Center

Postby BruiserB » May 23rd, 2018, 8:54 am

Did we have record of the Ramada along 35W and Industrial becoming a "Delta Hotels | Marriott" hotel? Yikes how many marquees does one company need?
The blue towers (actual paint job, not the concept drawings) look pretty cheezy against the brick of the rest of the building.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » May 23rd, 2018, 9:27 am

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... store.html

Apparently CostCo bought a warehouse at 3311 Broadway St. NE on Sept 1st. Say it could fit a CostCo store, which would honestly be great if they could re-use an older industrial building instead of building a whole new store.
The signs are on the building and there's a banner saying the store is opening on June 27th.
Can't wait for my wife to spend our life savings on things we don't need... this place is way to close to home. :evil:

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » May 23rd, 2018, 9:31 am

The blue towers (actual paint job, not the concept drawings) look pretty cheezy against the brick of the rest of the building.
I know they've wanted to re-brand this hotel for quite a while. I agree, the new paint job and logo look pretty cheap.
I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the new restaurant/bar has been doing. Not that I've been there a lot, but whenever I've stopped in it's been pretty busy. I've done more take-out than dine-in.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » May 23rd, 2018, 11:13 am

Delta was a Canadian chain that Marriott picked up not too long ago...they seem to be expanding them into the US quite a bit.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » May 23rd, 2018, 11:51 am

Delta is pretty good. I’ve stayed at two that were modernized Radisson properties. A more contemporarly styled Marriott in essence.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » June 7th, 2018, 3:17 pm

Solhelm proposing 6 story, 159 unit apartment building for car dealership at 701 Central:
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 211557.pdf

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 8th, 2018, 8:01 am

This could be so much better if MNDOT would sell that trip of land.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 8th, 2018, 8:23 am

Agreed.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 8th, 2018, 8:25 am

That strip of land is likely what had to be condemned at some point for the embankment for the Central Ave bridge over the railroad tracks. I bet MnDOT would sell it if there was some sort of agreement on new retaining to replace the embankment, but that sounds a lot more complex than a simple sale of excess ROW.

It seems like a mistake to put the garage entrance on Central Ave instead of the side street, given traffic volumes and the bikeway on Central Ave. Wouldn't that violate the city's standards for access management? Though maybe it's similar to how Lisa Goodman and Lowry Hill was pushing for those new Graves apartments to have a curb cut on Hennepin rather than use the street at the back of the site...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 8th, 2018, 8:50 am

Also, I've long thought this parcel presented an opportunity to connect 7th St NE to 8th St SE at a single non-skewed signalized intersection a full block up from the Hennepin/1st Ave NE mess.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 8th, 2018, 9:28 am

It is a lost opportunity to connect those routes. It surely wouldn’t be cheap to do it though.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » June 8th, 2018, 9:37 am

I would love if they could connect those two and signalize the intersection. There are a lot of cars on both of those streets that get "stuck" at certain times because of the screwed up intersections and fast-moving traffic.

LyndaleHoosier
Metrodome

Postby LyndaleHoosier » June 8th, 2018, 8:15 pm

This could be so much better if MNDOT would sell that trip of land.
I wonder if this MNDOT right of way is left over from when the scooped up land for I-335 back in the '70's? I believe the interstate would've ran under Central and had and interchange with Central at that location.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » June 12th, 2018, 8:46 am

Market BBQ will be moving into the vacant building at 220 Lowry:
http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/ma ... /485245111