Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Re: Northeast (and Southeast) - General Topics

Postby bapster2006 » January 11th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Yeah, this project came up about a year ago. My only complaint is that it will block my view of downtown from the top of Danger.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 11th, 2018, 11:06 pm

As long as Siwek Lumber is safe, I'm ok with it.
YES. I will not drive to Jordan for base shoe.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » January 12th, 2018, 11:02 am

Yeah, this project came up about a year ago. My only complaint is that it will block my view of downtown from the top of Danger.
Welcome to the city, kid. :D :lol:

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 12th, 2018, 11:58 am

This project will fit the neighborhood better than the liquor store with the park across the street and etc. It'll really change the feel of that intersection.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 12th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Whatever happened to the planned 'plaza' for the storm water site at the corner? It just looks like an abandoned gas station site now...

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » January 26th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Vic's has closed. No word yet on what will replace it.

Tugg's has been purchased by Jeff Arundel, the owner of Aster Cafe and Jefe. After the Super Bowl it will be getting a much needed remodel, and will remain a pub, but with better food.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » January 27th, 2018, 11:03 am

I've had a feeling there would be changes to the restaurants on St Anthony Main for a while. They were stuck in the past and with the additional housing going up they were ripe for a reworking.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 28th, 2018, 3:27 pm

Agreed. Those places seemed like relics from another era, or at least sort of out of touch with what you’d expect to find here. St. Anthony Main, even with all the new residents added in the past 4 years, still feels under appreciated / underused as a marquee urban space in the city. The character, the views, the potential to better use the public space across from the businesses, etc. This street could/should be among the Top 3 places one mentions to visitors, but I don’t get the impression that it is today.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » January 28th, 2018, 3:38 pm

Haven't been there in awhile, so my memory may be a bit off, but one thing i think would help is getting rid of a lot of the brush along the river, or at least keep it maintained. It tends to block the view of downtown a bit in the summer unless you get near the power plant where there is no vegetation. Obviously keep all those nice trees, but keeping the brush down a bit would give much better views of downtown from that area all long the street.

Palmetto
Block E

Postby Palmetto » January 28th, 2018, 4:41 pm

I agree that clearing brush would enhance views of the river and downtown, but I think it's unlikely. The natural areas bordering St. Anthony Main are part of the national park and outside of invasive buckthorn (which likely makes up a good chunk of the brush) the understory vegetation is an important component of the ecosystem. This area really does have so much potential though. Hopefully the refreshed restaurants help.

gpete
Union Depot

Re: RE: Re: Northeast (and Southeast) - General Topics

Postby gpete » January 28th, 2018, 5:11 pm

I agree that clearing brush would enhance views of the river and downtown, but I think it's unlikely. The natural areas bordering St. Anthony Main are part of the national park and outside of invasive buckthorn (which likely makes up a good chunk of the brush) the understory vegetation is an important component of the ecosystem. This area really does have so much potential though. Hopefully the refreshed restaurants help.
That area is all owned by the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board. The National Park Service has basically an imaginary overlay along the river corridor, but NPS owns very little land, and I don't think it has any authority to regulate land use or vegetation on non NPS owned lands.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » January 29th, 2018, 11:06 am

Vic's has closed. No word yet on what will replace it.

Tugg's has been purchased by Jeff Arundel, the owner of Aster Cafe and Jefe. After the Super Bowl it will be getting a much needed remodel, and will remain a pub, but with better food.
Vic's will apparently be used for office space. Hopefully this is temporary.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » January 29th, 2018, 11:09 am

Is the former Fuji Ya building still standing? What a terrific location that is.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » February 1st, 2018, 3:54 pm

Is the former Fuji Ya building still standing? What a terrific location that is.
Kind of! They took down a story and are gutting the building to expose ruins of the old mill underneath. There will be a restaurant operated by Sean Sherman aka The Sioux Chef. All in all sounds pretty great: https://www.minneapolisparks.org/projec ... _of_intent

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » February 1st, 2018, 6:51 pm

Is it really 30 years since they threw Fuji-Ya out? It seem like a really long time.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 9th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Soo Line is selling their property at 37th & University. Hennepin put an RFP out for the sale with a deadline of April 13th. Huge potential on this site.

https://www.hennepin.us/business/work-w ... perty-37th

Document:

https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/hennepi ... .pdf?la=en

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Postby mamundsen » February 10th, 2018, 10:08 am

What would you want to see up there? It's VERY industrial along University up there. Feels almost like the edge of the suburbs. Also University is basically a divided highway.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 11th, 2018, 8:58 pm

What would you want to see up there? It's VERY industrial along University up there. Feels almost like the edge of the suburbs. Also University is basically a divided highway.
Agree....it’s not like this area is going to become the next Uptown (or is it?). I like the infill we’ve seen nearby so something like that at maybe the next level of density would be fine by me. I’m also a huge fan of urban single-family home development as infill, and they could squeeze quite a few smaller (<2,000 SF) homes in this relatively tight space — perhaps with lot sizes no wider than 25 feet. Or — best of both worlds — multi-family (I.e 3-4 units per) Chicago-style 3-4 story flats. You don’t see infill like THAT in Mpls on a larger scope, making this a first, and I bet that kind of scale would be somewhat popular in this neighborhood with the demographics and price points.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 12th, 2018, 10:00 am

Perfect site for Amazon HQ2.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 11th, 2018, 4:18 pm

The City has released an RFP for the residual land between the historic Grain Belt brewery buildings and the newish Sheridan park.

PDF here.

Lots of complications with this site, including new streets to be constructed, historic rail ROWs to be maintained, high voltage power lines to be avoided, parking contracts to be fulfilled, and coordination with the Park Board to be coordinated. Still, it's a pretty spectacular site. Will be interesting to see what comes forward.
Minneapolis seeking a developer for riverfront property near Grain Belt complex
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... front.html
*LOCKED*

That's a lot of surface parking.