Impound Lot

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Silophant

Re: Impound Lot

Postby Silophant » March 2nd, 2018, 12:21 pm

More accessible from the Green Line (assuming it gets built), probably a wash from the 9 and future C Line on Glenwood. As for walking and biking, depends on where you're coming from. It'd be an extra block coming from downtown on Glenwood, but less distance if you're coming from the south via Van White.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 2nd, 2018, 12:50 pm

To minimize the quirky space waste car approach, why not place the building adjacent to Van White?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » March 2nd, 2018, 1:30 pm

I would honestly, rather see them move the impound lot next to the Water Treatment plant in Fridley or etc. Does this legally even have to be in Minneapolis?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 2nd, 2018, 4:07 pm

There should be two smaller impound facilities, like St. Paul has (or at least used to...it's been a while). The southside one could be on industrial land near Crosstown between Lyndale and Nicollet, or over by Fort Snelling. Northside one could be somewhere between the river and I-94 or on a variety of industrial sites in NE.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » March 2nd, 2018, 4:16 pm

I would honestly, rather see them move the impound lot next to the Water Treatment plant in Fridley or etc. Does this legally even have to be in Minneapolis?
I don't think we need to give prime TOD real estate to an impound lot, but yes, absolutely the impound lot has to be accessible to people who may not be able to easily access a second car to go retrieve their car.

jebr
Nicollet Mall

Postby jebr » March 2nd, 2018, 11:07 pm

Also, it'd be a huge waste of resources to have every tow truck drive up to Fridley with every car they've towed out of Minneapolis. It makes much more sense to have the lot in the city somewhere sort of central (or two or more geographically dispersed throughout the city) so that tow trucks spend as little time as practical towing a vehicle from its location to the impound lot.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » March 5th, 2018, 9:20 am

Could use one of the Fairgrounds lots when the fair isn't going on. It's off of the new BRT line and the tow trucks could be given access to the transitway.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 10th, 2020, 10:14 am

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » March 10th, 2020, 12:00 pm

I live it, this area is going to be so changed in a number of years. It's also interesting to think how close this is the Walker/Sculpture Garden and Lowry Hill. It'll be great to get pedestrian improvements along Van White under 394. I would prefer that they totally remove the Impound Lot, but this is a compromise. Maybe after so many years it could be placed in an eventually un-needed parking ramp.

hoffm83n
Metrodome

Postby hoffm83n » March 11th, 2020, 7:53 am

not that people are moving their cars during snow emergencies right now but i would have to expect that there will be a continued reduction in enforcement.

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Postby CalMcKenney » March 11th, 2020, 8:16 am

Can someone remind me what the planned redevelopment of this area is? I vaguely remember there being a row of like 6-story apartments being proposed here.