Alia Tower - 200 Central - 483' / 40 Stories

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
John
Capella Tower

Re: Alatus St. Anthony Tower (Washburn-McReavy Site)

Postby John » July 2nd, 2014, 2:17 pm

Then it sound like it maybe more retro looking to blend in with the historic nature of the area. Hopefully this mean more brick and stone vs cement board and ill fitting metal panels.
The architect's are Humphrey and Partners and they do a very wide variety of styles. Some of their work is excellent and some not so good probably dependent on the budget they're given. I think neighborhood input and the amount of $ Alatus is willing to spend on quality are two decisive factors here. Alatus, to their strong credit, does appear to put some serious thought and effort into the aesthetics. I'm optimistic on this one!

Seth
Metrodome

Postby Seth » July 2nd, 2014, 2:48 pm

Then it sound like it maybe more retro looking to blend in with the historic nature of the area. Hopefully this mean more brick and stone vs cement board and ill fitting metal panels.
I don't think it necessarily means it's going to be retro. Sounds like they're just going with the same architecture firm.
http://www.humphreys.com/product/high-rise/

You can see the same projects on Humphrey's site that are in the PDF posted earlier in the thread here.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » July 2nd, 2014, 7:27 pm

I don't think it necessarily means it's going to be retro. Sounds like they're just going with the same architecture firm.
http://www.humphreys.com/product/high-rise/

I really dig the last one one Page 1 (On The Boards, 28-story in CA). Although, it's pretty much the antithesis of Marcy Holmes. I'm hoping for a decent amount of sleek.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » July 2nd, 2014, 9:16 pm

If you look at all of the renderings I believe the Washington Avenue tower in Minneapolis was replaced with something else.

NE_love
City Center

Postby NE_love » July 3rd, 2014, 12:47 pm

I wouldn't worry about cement board on this. Hardy is limited to 60' due to wind load (see the connection here with the low-priced material and the abundance of a certain building type?). You would likely see curtain wall or a precast/pre-made panel on a building like this.

If this project does happen, this area is going to be really neat. With all of the new residents, I could see the existing retail and office space filling up. There are going to be so many people along the river edge!

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » July 5th, 2014, 1:44 pm

Meh. All this means is there'll be a new expensive restaurant I'll never go to. Why only one retail space for this whole block? At least if there were more there might be something worth visiting for the rest of us.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 5th, 2014, 2:21 pm

Such a victim

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 5th, 2014, 2:31 pm

Meh. All this means is there'll be a new expensive restaurant I'll never go to. Why only one retail space for this whole block? At least if there were more there might be something worth visiting for the rest of us.
As opposed to the funeral home you go to all the time?

You live in a major city, despite what some may think. Part of the deal is that many things that happen in it may not directly benefit each and every citizen. However, consider that four or five hundred new residents in the neighborhood might make it more likely that future neighborhood developments will contain a destination for the poor downtrodden Loring Park set.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 6th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Does anyone we really know how much retail space they are considering for this project? I don't think the developer has made any decision yet.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » July 7th, 2014, 9:00 am

Maybe I'm out of the loop on this one, but is this in the very early stages where it still needs city approval?

Has Alatus put forth a timeline for this project?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 7th, 2014, 9:06 am

Very early in the game. At this point they are looking at massing and placement of the building. There is little in design at this point. Just where they are actually going to site the tower, the massing of the tower, and how they will work in the historic parts of the project, and the garden space around the buildings.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 7th, 2014, 9:28 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » July 7th, 2014, 9:34 am

The architect's are Humphrey and Partners and they do a very wide variety of styles. Some of their work is excellent and some not so good probably dependent on the budget they're given. I think neighborhood input and the amount of $ Alatus is willing to spend on quality are two decisive factors here. Alatus, to their strong credit, does appear to put some serious thought and effort into the aesthetics. I'm optimistic on this one!
Thank you for holding developers accountable.

I do have to challenge a few things here.

Regarding architecture...Humphreys/Alatus did the Grant Park Condos - the tower is awful. Humphreys/Excelsior Group did 222 Hennepin - also a bad building. Humphreys/Alatus did The Carlyle - a decent/good building if derivative of Pelli's Wells Fargo tower. Regarding urbanism, Grant Park Condos *maybe* gets a pass for it's location (difficult to do mixed use/retail/commercial in such a place), 222 Hennepin is an INCREDIBLE location and Whole Foods is a great fit, The Carlyle gets a low grade for having no public amenities at grade with the caveats that the site is sloped at grade and at the time of construction it was pretty isolated for retail/commercial uses, etc.

I am sad to see Humphreys doing another tower building in this market as their "Houston" brand of architecture has a bad track record in this city.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 7th, 2014, 9:43 am

So is the Tudor the part that is historic or the Athletic Club next door. Not sure what the commercial club is or was. Is that what the Funeral home was before they moved in? Interesting that they will be going contemporary with the design. But that works for me if they do the project right!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 7th, 2014, 10:33 am

That picture showed a 12-story building, what gives?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 7th, 2014, 10:47 am

Not the same architecture firm I think

Edit: Also the placement of the building is not what has been put in the plans that were sent to the city.
Last edited by grant1simons2 on July 7th, 2014, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 7th, 2014, 10:49 am

Because it's a link to ESG Architects...who are not the architect for this project.

Sean could've provided a little context with the link, but I can only assume it is from a previous proposal for this same site.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 7th, 2014, 10:51 am

Because it's a link to ESG Architects...who are not the architect for this project.

Sean could've provided a little context with the link, but I can only assume it is from a previous proposal for this same site.
Oh I see....phew!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 7th, 2014, 12:32 pm

I stumbled upon it looking for an old photo of the St. Anthony CC. Obviously they has been some planning on this site for sometime.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 7th, 2014, 12:40 pm

Well hopefully it shouldn't be a long wait until we see more.....I remember the initial article saying that site plans would be unveiled this week.